Value of an MS degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Peper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. First off, thanks for the replies to my previous thread. You are all very helpful.

My question this time focuses n the value of my MS degree. In brief, it is in Biology, and required several credits of research. My name is on (or will soon be on) a few published papers. It was NOT a SMP.

(I also scored 38 on the MCAT, since someone is bound to ask.)

I asked before if this will help me get a scholarship in med school, and the answer was "not really." Okay. Fine. But what would the value be, then? Will schools give me a couple extra "LizzyM" points? Will research-based schools or programs look upon this with favor? If not, what are the benefits?

Would it be better if I had applied straight out of undergrad? Even with a measely 3.4 GPA?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. First off, thanks for the replies to my previous thread. You are all very helpful.

My question this time focuses n the value of my MS degree. In brief, it is in Biology, and required several credits of research. My name is on (or will soon be on) a few published papers. It was NOT a SMP.

I asked before if this will help me get a scholarship in med school, and the answer was "not really." Okay. Fine. But what would the value be, then? Will schools give me a couple extra "LizzyM" points? Will research-based schools or programs look upon this with favor? If not, what are the benefits?

Would it be better if I had applied straight out of undergrad? Even with a measely 3.4 GPA?

Thanks

The value of an MS degree is about negative $75k.

3.4/38 would have gotten you into many places.

The value of an MS degree is about negative $75k.

3.4/38 would have gotten you into many places.

I wasn't ready to dedicate myself to medicine when I finished undergrad. Now, after going through my MS program, I have seen a little more of the world and know what I should do with my life.

So, I can't go back. Let's look forward, please.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't ready to dedicate myself to medicine when I finished undergrad. Now, after going through my MS program, I have seen a little more of the world and know what I should do with my life.

So, I can't go back. Let's look forward, please.

Seems like you've already defined the value of the MS. How significantly a piece of paper saying you completed an MS contributes to med school admissions is much less relevant than what you learned (academically and otherwise) during your time in the MS program. The new perspective and every experience will help you write better essays, give you more to talk about during interviews, and overall helped prepare you for the academic years to come. Those things are most important considering you already had acceptable stats.

Seems like you've already defined the value of the MS. How significantly a piece of paper saying you completed an MS contributes to med school admissions is much less relevant than what you learned (academically and otherwise) during your time in the MS program. The new perspective and every experience will help you write better essays, give you more to talk about during interviews, and overall helped prepare you for the academic years to come.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It sounds like you got a lot out of it, and this is what is most likely to affect your application outcomes.

Many schools and future residency programs will see the fact that you have published research as a huge plus.

Survivor D.O.

Thanks

The publications will help your application to medical schools the most. As to whether the MS degree itself will help, well it depends on the school.

My home state medical schools and UC Irvine give points for having a masters. I don't know how this works for UC Irvine but the Hawaii medical school gives 1 point towards interviews for people with an MS.

I don't think a lot of schools have the same system and so it is really unknown how much weight your MS degree carries (there are a handful of grad GPA friendly schools).

At med school interviews I can't really recall it being mentioned, though that was a long time ago.

At residency interviews it was brought up most of the time, but they didn't seem overwhelmingly impressed by it. I have a feeling it's getting more and more common and less meaningful.

How significantly a piece of paper saying you completed an MS contributes to med school admissions is much less relevant than what you learned (academically and otherwise) during your time in the MS program. The new perspective and every experience will help you write better essays, give you more to talk about during interviews, and overall helped prepare you for the academic years to come. Those things are most important considering you already had acceptable stats.

Agree.

At med school interviews I can't really recall it being mentioned, though that was a long time ago.

At residency interviews it was brought up most of the time, but they didn't seem overwhelmingly impressed by it. I have a feeling it's getting more and more common and less meaningful.

So then does it matter if you don't have an MS?

Research MS degrees are looked upon well.

Course MS degrees depend on the rigor of the program.

So then does it matter if you don't have an MS?

It won't be held against you if you don't have an MS.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Thanks

I did an MS in lab science. I think it helped/was good because:
1) helping me mature....just was a little older and more focused.
2) cost very little because I TA'd which waived tuition and payed me
3) got publications (although not in very high impact journals)
4) gave me added chances to show improvement academically as well as demonstrate continued commitment to volunteering and shadowing

...when you ask what the benefit is ...I mean compared to what? You know that it is good for your CV no matter what as an added degree. You will have publications and valuable research experience. I think it does help for admissions as well, and there is debate as to how much it does help...but it does.