Value of applying early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yippiekayye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys first of all this is for the most part purely hypothetical so please don't flame me!

So I'm applying this cycle and i think my stats are pretty decent (33 mcat, 3.95 GPA), but I'm kind of worried that my MCAT might be a little low for some top-tier schools. Would it be a worthwhile tradeoff to delay my application and take the MCAT again in july assuming that I can reasonably expect to raise my score to the 35+ range? Or is it just better to apply early with what I have and hope for the best?

Once again, this is mostly out of curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

Re-taking a 33 MCAT is ridiculous. Submit your primary & secondary ASAPs and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
But here is some food for thought:

This applicant wants to go to a top tier and has a LizzyM of 3.95*10 + 33 -1= 71.95.
if another applicant had a 3.4 and a 39 MCAT= 72 LizzyM, would you tell them to do a master's program to get into top tiers? Their LizzyM would be the same and if the applicant was dead set on only top tiers, wouldn't that be their best course of action?

I only ask because clearly the OP has a chance to make it into his/her dream school with a retake with even a 2 point increase, just like hypothetical candidate could get into his/her dream school with a .2 GPA increase from post-undergrad education.

I have seen some applicants apply with a 33 and a 37 and someone on the adcom will ask "why did they retake a 33?" and I'll respond, "because they wanted to be interviewed here!"

We also see people who got a crash course in regression to the mean when the second MCAT is a 30. Those folks tend not to be interviewed.

Are you a gamblin' man?

With your record, you are likey to get into a medical school. How important is it to you to attend a "top tier" and what is it about a top tier that is attractive to you?

Do keep in mind that if you indicate on the AMCAS that you will be retaking, you will not be reviewed until the second set of scores come in. That means you are automatically later than the people who just applied with their current scores. The interview slot you are hoping for might go to an early applicant with a 3.95/33 while you are sitting there retaking your MCAT.

Do not retake the MCAT. Your GPA is stellar and a 33 is solid. Remember, the MCAT is just one part of your application.

I have seen some applicants apply with a 33 and a 37 and someone on the adcom will ask "why did they retake a 33?" and I'll respond, "because they wanted to be interviewed here!"

We also see people who got a crash course in regression to the mean when the second MCAT is a 30. Those folks tend not to be interviewed.

Are you a gamblin' man?

With your record, you are likey to get into a medical school. How important is it to you to attend a "top tier" and what is it about a top tier that is attractive to you?

Do keep in mind that if you indicate on the AMCAS that you will be retaking, you will not be reviewed until the second set of scores come in. That means you are automatically later than the people who just applied with their current scores. The interview slot you are hoping for might go to an early applicant with a 3.95/33 while you are sitting there retaking your MCAT.

Nuff said.