Value of NRP, ABLS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preston Ganey Jr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

New attending here. Does anyone find any value, either perceived by employers or in their actual clinical practice, from some of the more obscure acute care courses like the neonatal resucitation program (NRP) or advanced burn life support (ABLS)? I work a lot of remote, single coverage sites and so NRP sounds like it could be useful for the rare neonate or precipitous delivery.

Are there any courses you might recommend to continue to grow one's clinical proficiencies post residency? I've heard that one of the Minnesota ATLS courses covers burr holes/emergency craniotomies, for example. Likewise, taking an ED ECMO or REBOA workshop sounds like it could help me learn some skills that some of my sites might put into regular practice in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

No to any courses that aren't required. They don't care.
OTOH, if you want to take cadaver courses, advanced airway courses, or the like feel free. Taking an ECMO or REBOA course if your hospital does neither of these won't benefit you much.

I did ABLS a year ago--a local medical school was offering it for free and a bunch of nurses at my shop were doing it, so I signed up. I also didn't train at a burn center, so I figured it'd be useful.

Definitely not. Nearly as big a waste of time as recerting for ACLS or PALS.

I had to do NRP several years ago for a site. If you're scared to death of neonates, this could be worth it, but otherwise I'd pass.