Value of Research.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might have been discussed in previous threads, but what is the value of research? I always thought that clinical experience was weighed more heavily than research, but I would like to know other's thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

some schools care more than others, and i don't think it's "required" anywhere. i'd say that lack of research isn't going to tank your app if everything else is in order.

I've been asked about it, but having zero research hasn't hurt me so far. I think research is really just a perk because a medical researcher could bring in money for the school itself. The schools do want to get something out of you, you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your career goals, how you spin it in your PS and interview questions, and where you're applying. If you do some research experience "just because" and it never comes up in your PS or interview, then it's a waste of time. If you plan on doing research later on though, it's a great idea to get some experience in the lab. It also goes without saying that if you're applying MSTP then it's required.

Research can be very valuable, even if it's not part of your long-term career goal, but you have to put in a lot of effort to make it a worthwhile experience.

Washing glassware and changing cell culture media is not valuable. Go do something else with your time that you love and that you can learn from.

What you should aim for is having a significant part in a project (or more than one) and even having the opportunity to develop and carry out your project. This experience can teach you a lot about responsibility (to yourself and to others), experimental skills, data analysis, and (perhaps most importantly) an ability to draw thoughtful conclusions and determine places where your work could be improved. If you're going to try out research, which I think is a good general idea, you should talk to potential PIs about their expectations of you (time commitment, etc.) as well as what you can expect from the lab (how much autonomy, etc.).

What you should aim for is having a significant part in a project (or more than one) and even having the opportunity to develop and carry out your project. This experience can teach you a lot about responsibility (to yourself and to others), experimental skills, data analysis, and (perhaps most importantly) an ability to draw thoughtful conclusions and determine places where your work could be improved. If you're going to try out research, which I think is a good general idea, you should talk to potential PIs about their expectations of you (time commitment, etc.) as well as what you can expect from the lab (how much autonomy, etc.).

In terms of applying to med schools that aren't research oriented, I think having some research background is still helpful for the reasons quoted above. Obviously, research isn't a requirement at some schools, but having it can show that you are intellectually curious and have had a chance to work independently and reason out why you are doing experiments in a certain way.

the only thing research did for me is made me certain I don't want to go to grad school.