Vanderbilt & AP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmugele

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a quote from the Vanderbilt website:

"Advanced placement credits are not acceptable in lieu of science requirements. Advanced science courses, however, may be substituted for the traditional requirements. Advanced placement credits are not acceptable for the six hours of required English, however, writing courses may be substituted for this requirement. Pass/Fail credits are not acceptable for required courses. "

I AP'ed out of college physics and never took a physics class in college. However, I was a chemistry major, so I took many advanced science classes. So, my question is whether or not I can apply here? Do you think I can count advanced chemistry courses as a substitute for traditional physics requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

I would call the Vandy admissions office. The Vandy operator is 615-421-1411. They can give you the exact admissions office number.

I had a similar question and the admissions person on the other end of the line said "no." What they want is more advanced science in that field. So I, as a biology major, could AP out of intro biology because my advanced bio courses would cover the gap. I couldn't say though that if I AP out of physics, taking molecular genetics would help out with that requirement.

jmugele said:
This is a quote from the Vanderbilt website:

"Advanced placement credits are not acceptable in lieu of science requirements. Advanced science courses, however, may be substituted for the traditional requirements. Advanced placement credits are not acceptable for the six hours of required English, however, writing courses may be substituted for this requirement. Pass/Fail credits are not acceptable for required courses. "

I AP'ed out of college physics and never took a physics class in college. However, I was a chemistry major, so I took many advanced science classes. So, my question is whether or not I can apply here? Do you think I can count advanced chemistry courses as a substitute for traditional physics requirements?
they definately want "physics," not upper level chem classes. but i'd call the number to double check, but i'm 99.9% sure. I remember Dr. Oeltmann (the pre-med advisor at Vandy) saying that even if u've APed out of physics or chem, you should take the courses because some schools won't accept AP (i bet he was using vandy med as an example).