Vanderbilt Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This year will shake down as follows:

~4800 applicants
~1000 interviewed
~250-270 accepted
~30 from waitlist accepted
class of 105

Members don't see this ad.

Are you guys arriving for 2nd look weekend on April 1st and leaving April 3rd? At what times?

I was thinking of staying an extra night/day to check out Nashville... but I don't know anyone there.

ardemus said:
yes they waitlist tons of ppl... (i have only heard of 1 person getting rejected, vs the 20 or so ppl i've heard that got waitlisted... then again maybe ppl don't want to admit they got rejected??)
and i guess it's not all about numbers (even Wiggy got waitlisted... see the other tread about "are the MDapplicants entries for real?") which gives me some hope... but not much. good luck! :D let us know of you get in...

speaking of which, did anyone get in this past Friday?? if so, please tell us what day your interview was. Canuck and are just dyin' here. :(

I interviewed 6th Decemeber and got in 18th Feb.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
leaft said:
Are you guys arriving for 2nd look weekend on April 1st and leaving April 3rd? At what times?

I was thinking of staying an extra night/day to check out Nashville... but I don't know anyone there.

I'm gonna be leaving a little later on Sunday (my flight's at around 5pm), I'd like to check out what Nashville has to offer.

flyingyeti said:
I'm gonna be leaving a little later on Sunday (my flight's at around 5pm), I'd like to check out what Nashville has to offer.
I'm also leaving later on Sunday - my boyfriend wants to check out the city as well, so we're planning to do that on Sunday after breakfast. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to go do/see? :)

Also, anyone having a hard time choosing between the "Meet the Faculty" sessions? I am hopeless at deciding between so many interesting options...

I interviewed on the 01/28 and just received the waitlist letter, dated 02/25.

I was certainly hoping for better news, but it is not that bad considering I interviewed kind of late. Now I just hope the waitlist gets in motion.

EpointH said:
I'm also leaving later on Sunday - my boyfriend wants to check out the city as well, so we're planning to do that on Sunday after breakfast. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to go do/see? :)

Also, anyone having a hard time choosing between the "Meet the Faculty" sessions? I am hopeless at deciding between so many interesting options...

I know this was posted earlier, but for those who haven't looked already, check out the Paddle at: https://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/publications/paddle.php
EpointH, the sections on "Nashville," "Entertainments" and "Recreations" should be particularly useful to you and bf. I read it whenever I get bored at work!

I'm really pumped and looking forward to meeting you all...I've heard that it's a GREAT weekend!

GuyLaroche said:
The partner and I are really considering moving down to Nashville, but we are waiting to hear from other schools. The location is just scary to us. We only have the voting records of the South to go by, and I didn't really get a chance to sample Nashville while I was there. I guess my question is, how progressive is Nashville? More importantly, if the partner is to relocate with me, there has to be work for the partner to do. The partner will have a doctorate in electrical engineering and is concerned that Vanderbilt is not a strong school in electrical engineering. Are there strong schools in electrical engineering located in that area? Is our assessment of Vanderbilt and its engineering school correct?

First, about the Holiday Inn Select. I've never been a guest there (because I live in Nashville), but it seems to be a nice hotel--like an Embassy Suites. It's the nicest hotel in the Vandy area after the Lowes Plaza Hotel (4+ stars). I'd stop complaining b/c as a patient and donating alumni, I personally think you should pay for your own hotel, meals, and airfare. (I should complain about this to the alumni affairs office.)

Second, Vanderbilt has a strong engineering program. UT Knoxville (which is close to Oak Ridge) does too, but it also 200 miles away. GA Tech is the darling gem of SE engineering programs, but it is 200 miles away as well.

Third, Nashville is both politically progressive and not progressive. It just depends on where you live. The city core (downtown, the Vandy-Belmont-Hillsboro Village area, and West End), East Nashville (Breiley Parkway and Gallatin Road), and the airport area (state house district 53) are generally fiscally and socially progressive. Antioch (I-24 east of town) is progressive but more adverse to tax increases. NW Davidson county is socially conservative but fiscally progressive, unionized, and sparcely populated. Goodlettsville (I-65 north of town) is middle to working class and very conservative. South Nashville (north of Brentwood) and Belle Meade (SW of town) are rich, landed, and very conservative. Between South Nashville and Goodlettsville, I would say that South Nashville is more fiscally conservative and Goodlettsville is more socially conservative.

Considering the county as a whole, I would say that the progressives have more power but not by too much. Since Davidson County has metropolitan government (one government for the whole county), all of these different factions end up fighting it out on the Metro council. A proposal to end discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation was proposed, had a chance, and failed a few years back. However, the council has largely been doing nothing and nothing since the last election in 2003. (The alt-weekly Nashville Scene believes it is "The Worst Metro Council Ever.")

The Davidson County Democratic Party is very active. Rodd Mullins took over as their leader after the local Deaniac faction packed the executive committee. We also have an active Democracy for America chapter, one of the two oldest in Tennessee. There is also a chapter of the Peace and Justice Center and several national organizations. The annual NOW convention will be in town in early July.

Now, Nashville is in the State of Tennessee, which has its own political character. Nashville, Memphis, and Oak Ridge are the most liberal places by far. East Tennessee, the counties around Nashville, and the towns in Shelby County outside of Memphis are very conservative. The rest of the state is like NW Davidson County. When you sum this up, you get a socially conservative state that wants to be fiscally progressive but is not for some reason: no income tax, heavy sales tax (9.5% on many items), and an underfunded Medicaid program (called TennCare). If you are homosexual, be aware that you cannot marry or obtain a civil union here, and the same obtained in another state will not be recognized in TN.

I think that progressives moving to Nashville would generally be happy here. Some of the bone headed things that our bone head politicians say and do will get you angry from time to time, but there will be plenty of people near by who will be angry with you. Even homosexuals should be able to find places where they are accepted as they are. (The only time I remember a "God Hates F-gs Rally" was during the non-discrimination debate, and those creeps were from out of town.)

EpointH said:

Well, what types of things do you like to do? Rock and roll? Sing county music? Go to art houses? See live theater? ...? The Nashville Scene has the best weekly events listing for the 18-35 set. It generally publishes on Thursday of each week.

any1 know if vandy is still interviewing or when they stop interviewing? thanx! :) :)

trinitrotoluene said:
Well, what types of things do you like to do? Rock and roll? Sing county music? Go to art houses? See live theater? ...? The Nashville Scene has the best weekly events listing for the 18-35 set. It generally publishes on Thursday of each week.
Thanks for the recommendation! It turns out that due to the limited time we have, we might end up just wandering around downtown for a bit. Everyone getting excited for the revisit weekend? :thumbup:

EpointH said:
Everyone getting excited for the revisit weekend? :thumbup:

Yes! After looking through the Paddle, here's a sampling from my to do list:

Havana’s Lounge
Located upstairs from Buffalo Billiards, this is a dancing hotspot in Nashville and a favorite late-night excursion for VMS IIs. for dancing, sweating, and having your personal space invaded repeatedly

Lonnie’s Western Room
Lonnie’s is the VMS late night spot. Open
expect to find live karaoke on the weekends,
by the famous Lonnie’s girls. (During the
put on a show of your own on the karaoke
with a group of friends, get a bucket of beer
a good end to a night out in Nashville.

The Wildhorse Saloon
You definitely need to pay this place a visit! Free line
dancing lessons are offered during the week 4-9pm,
while on the weekends you can often catch top country
acts. This is a huge tourist attraction, so don’t be
surprised to find lots of people wearing colorcoordinated
cowboy boots, vests, and hats. A popular
televised country-dancing show is filmed here and
shows on TNN.

The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium
Tucked away in the old Union Station baggage building, the bar is decorated with a variety of saucers along its walls (including the flying kind). This place hosts one of the longest bars in Nashville along with its extensive seating inside. Looking for liquor? No luck here—BEER ONLY. They have 75 beers on tap and 140 bottles ranging from $2.50 to $12.00/pint. If you think you’re up to it, attempt to join the elite club of beer knurds after drinking every beer they sell and get your name on the wall, and the neverending respect of your friends.

sven said:
Yes! After looking through the Paddle, here's a sampling from my to do list:

Havana’s Lounge
Located upstairs from Buffalo Billiards, this is a dancing hotspot in Nashville and a favorite late-night excursion for VMS IIs. for dancing, sweating, and having your personal space invaded repeatedly

Lonnie’s Western Room
Lonnie’s is the VMS late night spot. Open
expect to find live karaoke on the weekends,
by the famous Lonnie’s girls. (During the
put on a show of your own on the karaoke
with a group of friends, get a bucket of beer
a good end to a night out in Nashville.

The Wildhorse Saloon
You definitely need to pay this place a visit! Free line
dancing lessons are offered during the week 4-9pm,
while on the weekends you can often catch top country
acts. This is a huge tourist attraction, so don’t be
surprised to find lots of people wearing colorcoordinated
cowboy boots, vests, and hats. A popular
televised country-dancing show is filmed here and
shows on TNN.

The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium
Tucked away in the old Union Station baggage building, the bar is decorated with a variety of saucers along its walls (including the flying kind). This place hosts one of the longest bars in Nashville along with its extensive seating inside. Looking for liquor? No luck here—BEER ONLY. They have 75 beers on tap and 140 bottles ranging from $2.50 to $12.00/pint. If you think you’re up to it, attempt to join the elite club of beer knurds after drinking every beer they sell and get your name on the wall, and the neverending respect of your friends.
They closed Havanas.... it sucks. my undergrad memories are withering. but it was hot... Red Iguana is a dance club but it's 18+ which sucks. but oh well.

PS... i think it's funny the OP isn't goin to Vandy.. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Vandy always need a bump. Who here am I going to meet on second visit?

Add to the list:

EpointH
Sven

now that weve had some time to mull over second look weekend and attend some other re-visits, anyone else deciced on vanderbilt one way or the other? i am definitely going to be there and would love to hear from some future classmates!

dvd200e said:
now that weve had some time to mull over second look weekend and attend some other re-visits, anyone else deciced on vanderbilt one way or the other? i am definitely going to be there and would love to hear from some future classmates!

I'll be there! Very excited!!!

thats awesome riven. im glad for both of us. have u looked into apartments yet? i want to live really close to campus but the price is so much cheaper if i am willing to drive a little. i think i may have to go back one more time to check apartments out. 2nd look really sealed the deal for me too. the amount of participation and enthusiasm from current students was amazing.

Wiggy73 said:
Dr. Helderman told me that 30 people off the waitlist is not uncommon, but obviously that's going to vary year to year. And depending on people's other acceptances, they might drop their waitlist spots or decline offers to get in from the waitlist, so there's no telling how "deep" (considering the waitlist isn't really ranked) they'll go into it.

:luck: Canuck Razorback!

I just looked at your profile, and it is hard to believe (based on GPA, MCAT, EC's) that you did not get into any of those places. I am scared now! I start applying in June.

good luck with everything

dvd200e said:
thats awesome riven. im glad for both of us. have u looked into apartments yet? i want to live really close to campus but the price is so much cheaper if i am willing to drive a little. i think i may have to go back one more time to check apartments out. 2nd look really sealed the deal for me too. the amount of participation and enthusiasm from current students was amazing.

I looked around a little on second look weekend but I'm going to go down during the summer and scout out some others (I live in Cincinnati so it's not that far of a trip). I agree with your assessment of the housing situation-it'd be nice to be really close to campus but I'd rather not pay so much...

Eww, that was one hideously ugly financial aid package. Guess I know who doesn't want me. :)

ramblinwreckie said:
Eww, that was one hideously ugly financial aid package. Guess I know who doesn't want me. :)

I think mine was equally ugly. Oh well. I think it makes my decision much easier.

Anybody on the waitlist that really wants to go to vandy?

vandyhopeful said:

Heck yes I really want to go to Vandy! But I'm on the waitlist, probably because I suck. From the little I saw, the quality of teaching at Vandy seemed much better than at any of the other schools I visited. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. I'm not optimistic though--I've heard that Vandy puts scads of people on their waitlist.

are you in at any other schools? what are you doing to to try to get into vandy?

vandyhopeful said:
just to let you know, there are a huge amount of people that get off the waitlist. two of my undergrad friends got off the waitlist and that brought the total of my friends goin to vandymed to like 8 or 9. It's such an amazing place. best of luck to ya.

ps. sent in letter of intents and show them your interest. Helderman likes that ;-)

vandyhopeful said:
are you in at any other schools? what are you doing to to try to get into vandy?

Yeah, i'm in at a couple of other places (UC Davis and Tulane) but nothing i'm all that jazzed about. Vandy's my top pick but somehow i don't have a good feeling that i'll get off the waitlist...

I've heard that you can write a letter begging and pleading for them to take you off the waitlist, saying that you'll definitely enroll if given the chance. Do you think this really works? What else can be done?

I don't know what else to do, I've called and written letters and that's all I know to do. I'm just hoping that i'll get yanked from the list and let in!

i'm giving up my spot at vandy so good luck to those of you on the waitlist!

margerita said:
i'm giving up my spot at vandy so good luck to those of you on the waitlist!

Dang! Giving up your spot at Vandy? You must have got a really sweet deal someplace else. Do you mind me asking where you're ending up, Margerita?

vellaboy said:
Dang! Giving up your spot at Vandy? You must have got a really sweet deal someplace else. Do you mind me asking where you're ending up, Margerita?

I'll be attending Columbia -- just got in off of the waitlist on Monday. I want to be in NYC for personal reasons, but I did love Vanderbilt when I was there for their second look. Best of luck to you!

margerita said:
I'll be attending Columbia -- just got in off of the waitlist on Monday. I want to be in NYC for personal reasons, but I did love Vanderbilt when I was there for their second look. Best of luck to you!

Columbia--right on! Good luck to you and have a great time in that great city.

Who's going? Which one?

I'll definitely be signing up...trying to decide between rafting, backpacking, and hiking. They sound awesome!

Anybody there? Dudes, where are my Vandy peeps?

Rafting for sure!!!! Most (~60) people do this and it is probably the most fun.

I've gone rafting in TN a few times and it is a really awesome trip. Those of you who signed up will not be dissapointed. My first choice is definitely Center Hill Lake though!

I'm new to the sdn forums...but I signed up for the rafting trip too. I really want Friday though, so I said that I would take boating on Friday over rafting on Thursday. Either one sounds fun to me...i'm a water lover.

patzan said:
Rafting for sure!!!! Most (~60) people do this and it is probably the most fun.
Awesome, that's what I ended up putting. I wonder when we find out which trip we get?