Vanderbilt Orthodontics Residency Now Accepting Applications for Nov. 2013 Start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vanderbilt Medical Center is now accepting applications for a 26 month post-graduate orthodontic residency program. Three residents will be accepted with an anticipated start in November, 2013.
The application deadline is May 31, 2013. Interviews for invited applicants are tentatively scheduled for June 28, 2013.

For more information and to download the application please click the link below.
Vanderbilt Application Information

Feel free to post questions here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
and yet another ortho program popping up. these new programs are popping up like mushrooms for the $$$ tuition.

and yet another ortho program popping up. these new programs are popping up like mushrooms for the $$$ tuition.

If you read the information on the program it has a stipend of ~$50k per year, so no tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if so, what do you think it's doing to the already saturated ortho market?

Even if so, what do you think it's doing to the already saturated ortho market?

I have no idea lol. Like it has been said before the saturation issue is more location specific and growing up in a small town then attending a major university I can say that is probably true. There is one orthodontist for my entire county back home and he has a monopoly. I went there for 3.5 years of treatment and later went to another orthodontist during college to get retreated. Same with my general dentist. He had a monopoly in my hometown but his work was very subpar.

In the end yes you are correct that it will add to the over-saturation issue, but the ones who will survive in those areas are the ones that were the best in their dental class and truly deserved their spot in a specialty program. Unfortunately these are the times we live in, where it stops nobody can know.

its naive to think that the ones who survive are the 'best in their dental school class.' how do you define the best? best clinical skills? best patient management skills? best self-promoter? all of these? or maybe just luck?

the problem with saturation is that in these areas almost everyone gets shafted. 80% of patients buy on price and it is a lose-lose for providers who compete in these areas. it's much better to have fewer providers with quality as the focus rather than slew of providers the drive down the supply-demand. ortho is on the decline due to the fact that there are already so many orthodontists around and the fact that many GPs are also doing it. and you throw in these new programs that pop up every year (driven almost solely by money), what do you think happens?

I will post answers to the frequently asked questions here as well.

Vanderbilt Orthodontics is not affiliated with a dental school. It is a division within the Department of Oral Surgery at Vanderbilt Medical Center. We work closely with the Department of Oral Surgery at Vanderbilt University Hospital as well as the Department of Vanderbilt Plastic Surgery at Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital.

I will post answers to the frequently asked questions here as well.

Vanderbilt Orthodontics is not affiliated with a dental school. It is a division within the Department of Oral Surgery at Vanderbilt Medical Center. We work closely with the Department of Oral Surgery at Vanderbilt University Hospital as well as the Department of Vanderbilt Plastic Surgery at Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital.

You forgot:

1) Do you play non-stop country music in the clinic?
2) What happens if your patient is an Alabama fan?

You forgot:

1) Do you play non-stop country music in the clinic?
2) What happens if your patient is an Alabama fan?

Those are very important questions! I'm glad you asked. We strive to maintain a country music free zone in the clinic, however if you are in need of some "twang" the Country Music Hall of Fame is just up the street.

And all sports fans regardless of affiliation are welcome to improve their malocclusion.

Other programs should be so lucky to be like Vanderbilt. Programs have steadily been increasing their program length from 2 or 2.5 years to 3 years. Vanderbilt went from 3 years to 2. Programs have been increasing tuition only adding to the student debt load candidates have. Vanderbilt not only dropped their tuition, but also added a generous salary.

Other programs should be so lucky to be like Vanderbilt. Programs have steadily been increasing their program length from 2 or 2.5 years to 3 years. Vanderbilt went from 3 years to 2. Programs have been increasing tuition only adding to the student debt load candidates have. Vanderbilt not only dropped their tuition, but also added a generous salary.

Yes yes yes. I am interested to know how they've done it.

I think vandy can probably attract the best ortho applicants.

If all of this true that's great. I am just not a big fan of the plethora of ortho programs so common now and charging lots of money. Anytime you increase supply you cheapen the profession. But this program sounds like its a good one.

Does the Vanderbilt Ortho Residency require a GPR or prior clinical experience?

Does the Vanderbilt Ortho Residency require a GPR or prior clinical experience?

We accept residents directly after graduation from Dental School and those with clinical experience. There is no requirement for a GPR.

Last edited:
Several applicants have asked whether residents gain experience with Invisalign....and the answer is yes. Each resident will start 10-20 invisalign cases.