vanderbilt vs. unc vs. emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

margerita

Medical student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do yall think? i'd appreciate input into this decision. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can think of two factors to think about off the top of my head:
1. if in-state tuition at UNC is applicable, and if you'd be willing to forfeit it to go to a private school out-of-state.
2. what kind of environment you want. As far as Nashville vs. Atlanta, Nashville seemed to feel more 'southern' than Atlanta, and Nashville is also smaller--which one is "better" would depend on your own preferences. I don't know much about Chapel Hill except that it's supposed to be a cool college town. :)

Good luck, and congrats! That's a nice decision to have to make :)

margerita said:
I'm partial. i love vanderbilt. it's amazing. but i'd have to take the $$$ into account. but honestly, i would go to vandy if I had the choice. the people are amazing, the program is awesome, and the town is really laid back and fun. (but i have to admit, they are lacking in a really good dance club...)

Members don't see this ad :)
margerita said:

Go to Vandy!

The reputations of each of those schools are comparable, so I wouldnt worry too much about that. What's your learning style? Do you prefer group work or lectures, or both? How are the financial aid packages? The question here isnt what others on SDN think about the schools, it's the environment and opportunities each school offers, and how you fit into that equation. Some people here might say "Go to Vandy (or Emory, or UNC...)!", but that really isnt useful to you. Do a little homework on each school, try and visit them again, and then make your own informed decision.

virilep said:
I'm partial. i love vanderbilt. it's amazing. but i'd have to take the $$$ into account. but honestly, i would go to vandy if I had the choice. the people are amazing, the program is awesome, and the town is really laid back and fun. (but i have to admit, they are lacking in a really good dance club...)

I take it you're not partial to the Wildhorse Saloon?

I will add that for me personally, it would be tough to justify the price tag that would come with Vandy or Emory. Nashville and Atlanta are two of my favorite towns, so it would be close. Still, Chapel Hill is a lot of fun, you get to be on a great college campus, see basketball and football games, and pay a heck of a lot less for it.

It's tough for me to say, as Emory is my top choice, but if I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking mighty hard about Chapel Hill.

Even if you're out-of-state, you get in-state tuition after a year, right?

freaker said:
I take it you're not partial to the Wildhorse Saloon?
hahaha... i've been there a couple times. it's fun. but i'm more into the hip hop dance scene ;-)

Hands down UNC if you are instate, otherwise, both emory and vandy are worth the money. Compare them carefully. I was in the same situation, and I chose UVA. Congrats on the acceptance and good luck.

since i did not apply to unc, i cannot speak for it.
however, when deciding between emory and vanderbilt, to me they are not comparable at all! as far as schools are concerned, emory is mega traditional (almost entirely lecture all day long with not much integration, though correct me if i am wrong). besides that, the joints cause so much unnecessary stress. emory students will justify it by saying it makes them perform better on the boards, but my host told me that she has nervous breakdowns. she said emory even mentions that this will happen and it's okay. what?!?! med school is stressful enough, why compoud it? whereas the students at vandy were very happy and laid back (probably because of p/f). at vandy there are a lot more opportunities for research. i like the children's hospital, too. overall, i like the curriculum, students, and atmosphere at vandy more.
the only two things i would say emory has going for it are that atlanta is better than nashville, and grady hospital provides a better clinical experience.
my 0.02. good luck with your decision!!

Overall, Vandy probably has a slightly better rep then Emory, but they're pretty close. I interviewed at Vandy and loved it. The students were very happy, and they also have some of the highest average step I scores in the country. The price tag is a high though, so if you're instate at UNC, I'd go there instead.

virilep said:

I agree with virilep. They are all great schools but Vanderbilt is considered "Harvard" of the South. Also, when I interviewed there, the guy told me that Vanderbilt sends a lot of students to Mass General (2nd, 1st is Harvard)

By the way, VIRILEP, I finally got your picture. I always assumed that you worked for UPS (or you just like the company) but I finally realized that if you flip UPS, it is SDN.

HA HA HA..... I know, I am very slow

P.S what can "brown" do for you? wink wink :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your thoughts yall. i am instate for unc, so the low tuition is very hard to turn down. but i wasn't at all impressed with my day there. hopefully 2nd look weekend will be better.

any other opinions?

Vandy matched extremely well today. Orthopedic surgery, radiation oncology, ENT, plastics, diagnostic radiology all matched to top programs. A lot of people are staying at Vandy - I think that says a lot as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Hands down UNC! The other two aren't even in the tournament bracket.

They are all great schools but Vanderbilt is considered "Harvard" of the South.

I thought Emory was considered "Harvard" of the South....

patzan said:
Vandy matched extremely well today. Orthopedic surgery, radiation oncology, ENT, plastics, diagnostic radiology all matched to top programs. A lot of people are staying at Vandy - I think that says a lot as well.

When will Vandy's '05 list be available?

if any school should be calling itself the"harvard of the south", it's Duke. c'mon people.

rme04 said:
if any school should be calling itself the"harvard of the south", it's Duke. c'mon people.

you are probably right, Duke is considered a better school than Vanderbilt.

How about "Yale of the south", then?