Vanderbilt waitlist

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by zama, Oct 23, 2002.

1. zama

zama Member

Just found out that my a$$ is waitlisted at Vanderbilt. Anyone else in or been in this position, what are you guys doing?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. stercel2007

stercel2007 Member

Welcome to the club. I found out today. Just going to wait till spring.

4. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    I liked Vanderbilt; I'm going to send them updates every couple months or so until the spring, and then probably get more aggressive if I don't have any other acceptances at schools I'm quite as happy with. As their waitlist is not ranked, the students seemed to indicate to me that showing a good deal of enthusiasm for the school while on the waitlist was helpful.

Of course, if I get acceptances at other places I'd rather go, I won't worry about it much.

5. cabruen

Resident [Any Field]
    Xaelia --

Sorry to hear about that. I liked Vanderbilt too, and when I called today I found out that my application was going to the committee this friday or next. My interviewer told me during the interview, that I would probably be high-waitlisted (whatever that means). So I guess I will be waiting with you until may.

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

when did u interview? it's strange that he'd guest that u would be waitlisted...i.e. he'd have some biases prior to writing the interview recommendation.

7. cabruen

Resident [Any Field]
    I interviewed on the 26th. I too thought it weird, and was discouraging. My guess is that he was basing that on my GPA and MCAT scores, because he hadn't seen my secondary application (I had brought it with me that day), so he couldn't have seen my whole application.

8. uclachris

uclachris Doctor Doctor Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Who was your interviewer???

9. bioguy123

bioguy123 Member

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to Vandy, but most likely will be declinig the offer, so that should free up at least one space on the waitlist. Good luck to all of you.

10. cabruen

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats bioguy!! :clap:

What school are you planning on attending that you found to be a better match for yourself?

11. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Member

I will be declining my Vandy acceptance as well, so there's one more spot.

12. marq_bme

marq_bme Senior Member

for those of you on the waitlist..what were your stats if you dont mind sharing? im still waiting to hear from them as well..as i fear i may be a waitlistee as well

13. DrM

DrM Member

I interviewed on September 26th and have still heard nothing. is that normal?

14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

bumping....

anyone else heard from vandy and when did you interview?

15. batman123

batman123 Senior Member

Hey, for those of you who've already heard... how did they notify you? Thanks

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. batman123

batman123 Senior Member

I just called them today, adn they said my application was reviewed this past Friday... I asked if they could "hint" to me the decision, but the admissions secretary wouldn't budge... I'm getting neurotically anxious at this point

18. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

bump....

any updates?

19. batman123

batman123 Senior Member

Yet again, another f*@king waitlist; last year Cornell, this year Vanderbilt.

Hey Yogi, I heard today (Fri 11/8/02); I interviewed 10/01/02.

This same s&^t happened last year; they wailist you in November, then they torture you with waitling for another 8-10 months, and finally in late August you get the rejection. I hate waitlists.

20. cabruen

Resident [Any Field]
    Not unexpected, but I returned today from interviewing at Creighton, Mayo, and Stanford, and I find a Vanderbilt waitlist letter in my mailbox. I had expected to find an acceptance for Rush also, but nothing was there from them.

21. batman123

batman123 Senior Member

I emailed Pat Sagen to get some info on the waitlist; Her response:

Dear Vikrant:
    The wait list is not ranked and by the end of the season we will have 300 or so on the wait list. The wait list will not be reviewed until May.
    Please keep your file updated!

Patricia Sagen
    Director of Admissions

22. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

bump....

i interviewed early october and haven't heard annything. called last week and they said that my file wasn't gonna be reviewed yet...arggh... any updates anyone?

with only 1 SDNer who was accepted to vandy so far, vandy seems to be pretty thrifty w/ the acceptance letters at this stage..... :mad:

23. tekram

tekram Member

for thosewho got a post-interview response, how long did it take them to give you a reply?

24. dr. deez

dr. deez Senior Member

anyone get any love from vandy lately???

25. ylan11

ylan11 Junior Member

just thought I would add another name to the list...
    I interviewed at vandy in early october and just received my waitlist notification yesterday. I'm just happy it wasn't a rejection though after how terrible the interview went. Here's to hoping they wise up eventually and accept some of us!

26. khan

khan Member

Well got me wait list also:(

27. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

i interviewed 2nd week of october and was waitlisted last week. btw, do they reject after interviews or is everyone who isn't accepted waitlisted?

28. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Well, as they said in their presentation, they'll never have more outstanding acceptances than they have spots in their class (~105)...and someone else around here mentioned they'd written the Office of Admissions and had been told the waiting list was going to end up with about 300 people on it....

So it's a pretty big waitlist that they take a fair number of people from, and I'm guessing that, for those of us who interviewed fairly early, there's a lot more waitlist than rejection....

29. bludeviled

bludeviled Member

I'm getting so antsy b/c this is the only school I applied/interviewd so far w/ rolling admissions.

I heard if you're in, expect a phone call in ~ 3 weeks
    If guess if you are waitlisted/rejected you hear later - I suppose they don't call you immeadiatley to share such wonderful news - those of w/ a rejection/waitlist was it via snail or email?

I'm certain of a R or W b/c I haven't been called yet.

Has anyone here interviewed Oct. 15th or after and heard Anything?

30. bludeviled

bludeviled Member

Okay nevermind, I need to quit being so pessimistic

I got the call today ; this is my 1st acceptance too - what a relief

31. dr. deez

dr. deez Senior Member

CONGRATS!!!
    ... i'm still waiting:clap:

32. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    I've heard (and I think this was already posted) that Vandy is very responsive to waitlistees that show interest in the school. I was thinking of writting a letter saying I'm still very interested.

But here's my thing - right now I'm debating between Loyola and Iowa (already in at both). My home is in northwest Illinois, and I'm wondering if it's worth moving that far away. Do you guys think Vandy's reputation/training/residency placements are that much better to justify trying to get in and moving that far away?

And is there any way to find out if you have a snowball's chance, since the list isn't ranked?

Thanks guys. :)

33. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Hm...well, I hope they're responsive; I think it was the 5th letter I'd written them I mailed off yesterday. I plan on sending one more out later this month as my letter of intent, as if they hadn't picked up on that by now....

(I think I've mailed at least three update letters with colorful accompanying materials to all five of my waitlists - I'll be damned if I don't get off at least one of them)

As for Loyola and Iowa...I think it depends on your goals. If your goal is to simply go into Family Practice, you need not attend one of the "top" programs in the country. If you're a little more ambitious, I think Vanderbilt may open more doors and give you better opportunities than Iowa or Loyola, despite both being fine schools as well....

34. nuttymcpoonut

nuttymcpoonut Member

Hey everyone,

As a waitlisted person last year, I thought I would offer some advice. First, some info about me. I graduated from Yale with a sci/non-sci double major, good grades, good MCATs. When I got the interview invitation to Vanderbilt, it was the week of Sept 11, and I really wasn't in the mood to make a flight reservation from the Northeast, so I decided to take advantage of their regional interview option. As I was later told by my pre-med advisor, this was a big mistake. Anyway, I was eventually waitlisted at Vanderbilt (my number two school).
    The day after commencement, I left for a month-long trip to Africa, after which I was home for 2 days. I then left for a three week road trip with college friends. By the time I made it home, it was late July, and there was no word from Vanderbilt. I called their admissions office to ask what the deal was with the waitlist. After I gave the secretary my name, she sounded surprised. She told me that I would have been accepted in June, if I had been in contact with them during May/June (when I was traveling/worrying about graduation events). I told her I was still very interested in Vanderbilt, and she told me she put my name back on the top of the list (their list is ranked, by the way). She assured me that a spot was expected to open within that week. I called them every week until I arrived at my current med school. The person who was supposed to give me my spot never left.
    Long story short, it is definitely possible to get off the waitlist, but you have to let them know you are interested.

35. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    xaelia - thanks for the input. :) I think I want to end up in a practice somewhere, but I have no idea what I want to go into. Maybe radiology, maybe OB/GYN, I have no idea. I know anyone can get great residencies from any med school if they work hard, but going to a well-known and respected school can't hurt.

nuttymcpoonut - I just wanted to say that you have one of the coolest screen names ever. :D