Vandy vs Northwestern vs Pitt vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbonez71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After this weekend I've finally finished second looks, and I still can't make a decision. I have at least ruled out Case and UVA. These are good schools but none of them have exactly the programs I am looking for. At the beginning of the cycle I had my heart set on California too... That's what kind of makes it a toss up in my mind. I will probably want to match back to California, just like every other person from this state says lol.

My interests outside of clinical medicine lie mostly in translational research and new technology. I was looking for programs that explore how medicine intersects with engineering and business, especially in the context of innovation. Other things that are important to me would be finding the time to work with underserved Latino communities, having a collaborative atmosphere, and a flexible curriculum.

I would have to take out full-loans for each, and I didn't get any aid from my other acceptances either.

Vanderbilt
Pros
  • Nashville and Hot Chicken
  • 1 year pre-clinical, lots of flexibility in M3/4 (6 mo. of dedicated research time)
  • True P/F even for clerkships
  • Vibed well with students, this was my best second look experience
  • Wellness is a huge aspect of the school, and faculty seem to bend over backwards to take care of the students
  • Dedicated clinic to translate and work with Hispanic people
  • Pretty nice weather
  • Brand new med school facilities
  • Small class size
Cons
  • Not as strong of a hospital system as Pitt and NW
  • No clear business or engineering overlap (relatively weak schools) besides a possible dual degree. I have been told there may be some applicable electives our 3rd/4th years due to a new “MIDP” program they have, but its not clear what this would look like.
  • Less diverse with faculty/students, med school is vocally trying to improve
  • Seemed more focused on informatics and clinical research than basic/translational research.
Feinberg
Pros
  • Chicago and Deep Dish pizza
  • Facilities: Brand spanking new research building, dedicated center for Innovation and translational research, great med school building
  • Fantastic Hospital system: #1 rehabilitation center, great children's hospital
  • Very strong schools in business and engineering (Feinberg-Kellogg MD/MBA)
  • Cool students, had a fun time at second look
  • Can integrate Spanish translation into my curriculum instead of needing to volunteer
Cons
  • 2 year curriculum (more like 1.75) with lots of PBL
  • Miserable weather
  • Expensive AF and can't have a car
  • Only 3 months for research, not much flexibility in curriculum
  • Stated at second look that it is "difficult" to incorporate basic/translational science research (or engineering) as part of the scholarly project
  • Competitive atmosphere?? Or so I heard
Pitt
Pros
  • Pierogies
  • Cheap COL
  • UPMC: really great translational and basic science research opportunities, incredible clinical experiences.
  • Biotech/engineering/innovation Area of Concentration (part of curriculum), very specific for my interests.
  • Faculty were very welcoming, focused on diversity.
  • Ability to work with Carnegie Mellon mentors even for the required research project.
Con
  • Traditional 2 year curriculum that is NOT systems based, not very flexible
  • 5 point grading system (H/HP/P/MP/F) vs only 3 or 4
  • Pittsburgh: seems kind of boring and also not very diverse (as far as a Latino population)
  • Miserable weather
  • Did not have a great second look experience, seemed like there were quite a few gunners and wasn't stoked about the incoming class.
Keck
Pros
  • KBBQ
  • CALIFORNIA!! My only acceptance here. LA is close to my family and friends.
  • LA County Hospital
  • HTE program is geared towards doing the exact kind of thing I want to be doing
  • Recorded lecture, only 4 hours/day of small group or lecture
  • Great eye center (I am interested in ophthalmology)
  • I really enjoy the atmosphere and student body
  • Very diverse city and school, obviously lots of underserved Latinos to work with
Con
  • Traditional 2 year curriculum
  • Drama with the med school dean
  • The least “prestigious” of my acceptances.
  • The most expensive school, both with COL and tuition
  • Big class size

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've looked, and I may be mis-remembering, but doesn't USC have a pretty strong engineering/tech component to their med school?

Yea they have the HTE program which is basically getting you together with their engineering and business schools to develop an idea or product. They give you some funding and incorporate that time into their curriculum. I think I heard it was "inspired" by the Harvard HST program (bring people together from different schools to drive innovation)

Strength of associated hospital system has 0 impact on you

I actually didn't know this. Doesn't it matter for your clinical training?

So I think I've narrowed it down to Vandy and USC. Any opinions on how to choose? I think I liked Vandy more... Though I'm trying to weigh my options since USC may help with eventually matching back to California, and it has the business/engineering track.

Will matching to California be just as easy from Vandy (especially into the competitive programs), and is having a preset curriculum for the engineering thing that much better than finding those opportunities myself?

Last edited:
I was gunna say Vandy or USC but u narrowed it down. Only thing is the issue with USC is its impossible to live near because its either so expensive or so ghetto. Vandy is a hell of a school and u shouldn't have problems matching back. Whats the COA difference and is USC a true pass fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was gunna say Vandy or USC but u narrowed it down. Only thing is the issue with USC is its impossible to live near because its either so expensive or so ghetto. Vandy is a hell of a school and u shouldn't have problems matching back. Whats the COA difference and is USC a true pass fall?

USC is a bit more expensive (63k tutition vs 55k at Vandy), plus COL is more in LA so maybe 40k-45k more over 4 years?

Both are true pass/fail the first two years, though that is only preclincal stuff for Keck. For both I think the preclinical grades/evaluations do matter for AOA though, which kinda blows.

They are internally ranked afterwards. I found a pretty dope resource that spells out how the different schools write their MSPEs. http://www.jacr.org/cms/attachment/2014568276/2036036500/mmc1.doc

USC:
The descriptors used in the summary paragraph are bolded, capitalized OUTSTANDING, EXCELLENT, VERY GOOD and GOOD. The numerical boundaries for these summary paragraph descriptor are found in Appendix D as OUTSTANDING top 20%, EXCELLENT 70%, VERY GOOD the bottom 10%, and no students were designated GOOD.​

Vandy:
Descriptors in the summary paragraph include, The very best AOA, Superb or Outstanding. There is a bar graph on the last page of the MSPE labeling 25% of the class as Outstanding , 75% as Excellent and 0% as Satisfactory.​

So it looks like both schools make some distinction between the top of the class and the rest, but not much else besides that.

So I think I've narrowed it down to Vandy and USC. Any opinions on how to choose? I think I liked Vandy more... Though I'm trying to weigh my options since USC may help with eventually matching back to California, and it has the business/engineering track.

Will matching to California be just as easy from Vandy (especially into the competitive programs), and is having a preset curriculum for the engineering thing that much better than finding those opportunities myself?

I'd go with Vandy. Top tier school and less expensive and you liked it more? No brainer. You will have no issue matching back to Cali or wherever you want coming from Vandy (particularly into competitive programs which often do seem to consider med school rank more)

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your pros/cons this looks like a really tough choice. Personally, I'd go Vandy or Feinberg. You said you weren't stoked about Pitt's incoming class and you felt they had gunners, so if you're just not feeling Pitt I wouldn't go there. If you're really serious about doing something like an MBA, I think Feinberg is a good choice. But it seems like besides that, most of your pros align with Vandy, so I'd go there if you're unsure about the MBA (you could always pursue that later or at another institution).

Vandy may not have as reputed a hospital system as NW or Pitt, but I think for a med student that's kind of a moot point, as Vandy students and residents get fantastic clinical training anyways. I also think Vandy (along with NW and Pitt) will give you a good chance matching back to CA if that's what you want.

Edit: just saw you had narrowed it down to USC and Vandy. In that case, I'd go Vandy no question. Seems you like it more based on your pros/cons, it has an arguably stronger name in medicine, and if you do well there you can match back to CA no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. I decided on Vanderbilt! A few days ago a student hit me up asking if I had any questions, and I was truthful about my concerns. It sounded like everyone who wanted to go to California this last year did so, and also matched at some great places. Lots of engineering/business opportunities that i hadn't heard about before too.

I think it is time to experience something new, and if I keep up in my work I hope I will have no problem coming back in 4 years!

Reactions: 4 users