Variability in EK Scores? Also, am I ready for AAMC FLs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhs2252

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a bit confused with myself and unsure of whether I should start AAMC practice exams. My test is on January 25th. For EK practice exam 1, I got a 61%. For 2, I got a 58%. I jumped to a 67% on my third FL but on EK FL 5, I got a 48% (yikes). I was wondering if anyone experienced this type of variability? Also, do you think I should start on the AAMC FLs? I feel as though I've gotten as good as I can get for EK and just want to move on to the gold, but I also don't want to rush it. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest doing 1/week until test day. There's 5 AAMC FL exams so you should start doing them right around now.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hello! I'm a bit confused with myself and unsure of whether I should start AAMC practice exams. My test is on January 25th. For EK practice exam 1, I got a 61%. For 2, I got a 58%. I jumped to a 67% on my third FL but on EK FL 5, I got a 48% (yikes). I was wondering if anyone experienced this type of variability? Also, do you think I should start on the AAMC FLs? I feel as though I've gotten as good as I can get for EK and just want to move on to the gold, but I also don't want to rush it. Thank you!
Hey there! I also had a dip on an EK exam about a month out from my test. In my case, I was exhausted and burned out and it reflected in my scores. I pressed ahead and started the AAMC FL's and did fine on those. My MCAT went well too.

I recommend you do a little self reflecting on the conditions around that test. Were you abnormally stressed or tired? Did something interrupt you in the middle? Review every question and see what you got wrong. Maybe that test tested a lot of your weaker subjects or you felt rushed and made more careless mistakes than usual.

Then, press ahead with the section bank and AAMC FL's. If those scores are where you want them to be, it's a great sign you are ready to take the real deal.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user