Vascular Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are DPMs allowed to perform common vascular procedures such as angioplasty or stenting in lower extremities to treat PVDs or involved in any care of DFUs?

Are there any training in the said procedures during residency (probably location and state-dependent)?

I am guessing doing a fellowship in limb preservation under vascular surgery (like the Pods below) will help?

Vascular & Endovascular Surgery - Limb Preservation Fellows

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Short answer is I doubt it based on what Podiatry’s scope of practice in most states and where the start your starting point for those procedures.

To expand, your dissection for angioplasty and or stentimg starts in the groin accessing the common femoral or superficial femoral artery. Since soft tissue scope usually ends at the knee, it would be hard to justify a hospital to give you these privileges, but hey I could be wrong. As for training, most residencies do incorporate a rotation of vascular surgery where you could see these procedures be performed, but again, only one month would not qualify you in these procedures. Final point would be there are already multiple specialties preforming said operations including vascular surgery, interventional radiology, and interventional cardiology. I doubt they would like another cook entering their kitchen, but like before, I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are DPMs allowed to perform common vascular procedures such as angioplasty or stenting in lower extremities to treat PVDs or involved in any care of DFUs?

Are there any training in the said procedures during residency (probably location and state-dependent)?

I am guessing doing a fellowship in limb preservation under vascular surgery (like the Pods below) will help?

Vascular & Endovascular Surgery - Limb Preservation Fellows

Thanks.

They are not doing vascular surgery in that fellowship, and you will be busy enough as a podiatrist, we don't need to add on doing angioplasties and bypass surgery to our training, its way harder than you think, and that's a whole different skillset and surgical specialty

Reactions: 1 users
Short answer is I doubt it based on what Podiatry’s scope of practice in most states and where the start your starting point for those procedures.

To expand, your dissection for angioplasty and or stentimg starts in the groin accessing the common femoral or superficial femoral artery. Since soft tissue scope usually ends at the knee, it would be hard to justify a hospital to give you these privileges, but hey I could be wrong. As for training, most residencies do incorporate a rotation of vascular surgery where you could see these procedures be performed, but again, only one month would not qualify you in these procedures. Final point would be there are already multiple specialties preforming said operations including vascular surgery, interventional radiology, and interventional cardiology. I doubt they would like another cook entering their kitchen, but like before, I could be wrong.

They are not doing vascular surgery in that fellowship, and you will be busy enough as a podiatrist, we don't need to add on doing angioplasties and bypass surgery to our training, its way harder than you think, and that's a whole different skillset and surgical specialty

Valid points. Thanks for the replies.

DPMs don't do that. The fellows that you linked are likely cutting off the gangrenous toes as part of the "limb salvage" team after vascular stents or bypasses them.

DPMs don't do that. The fellows that you linked are likely cutting off the gangrenous toes as part of the "limb salvage" team after vascular stents or bypasses them.

I feel like doing a VA residency would be the same as that fellowship lol. Hopefully they hook up the fellow with a job after they are done.

The answer is a definite no. Period.

Reactions: 2 users