Vasectomy and Dementia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firedoor

let it bleed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 2007 researchers at Northwestern University published a report suggesting a possible correlation between vasectomy, primary progressive aphasia and frontotemporal dementia:

http://www.brain.northwestern.edu/pdfs/newsarticles/March2007_Tribune_Vasectomy.pdf

While the n was only 47, the hypothesis that vasectomy results in anti-sperm antibodies which may be neurotoxic seems plausable. The article ends commenting that the lead researcher planned to investigate whether their observation would bear out in a larger (and presumably more methodologically sound) study.

I'm interested to know if anyone has further information or thoughts on the issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Isn't this more of interest to neurologists than psychiatrists?

As a psychiatrist (and more importantly, as a male), this is of interest to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question: would Freud (the neurologist) have been more concerned about the dementia, or the vasectomy?

Freud the neurologist would have been concerned about the dementia. Freud the individual and also the psychoanalyst would have been concerned about vasectomy and losing his libido.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't this more of interest to neurologists than psychiatrists?

Respectfully, are you serious?

I think the post is seriously placed. The poster is not a physician and so may not know the complete nature of a psychiatrist's scope of practice. I find that often this is based on what the psychiatrist(s) do in their neck of the woods.

As far as sperm antibodies causing dementia, it seems a little far fetched but who knows. I wonder if they did other immunology workups to look for signs of chronic inflammatory states.

One thing though...men will say almost anything when they have a certain goal in mind. Interesting that after vasectomy they can't talk. Maybe its the brain saying "Arrggh, whats the point."

One thing though...men will say almost anything when they have a certain goal in mind. Interesting that after vasectomy they can't talk. Maybe its the brain saying "Arrggh, whats the point."

Or as my friend said: "Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich."

Salted meats are not good for vascular health and TV rots your brain...its all part of some complicated feedback loop.

Eli Lilly has phase II trials of a medication called Trifector that show very promising results.

I had an xx years ago and ...what were we talking about?

If I may interject respectfully, dementia is listed as an axis I disorder in our maligned but beloved DSM, which squarely places cognitive disorders in our scope of practice. Any form of preventable or treatable dementing process is extremely important for all Psychiatrists to understand and study. Maybe I'm confused, I thought this was a forum for Psychiatrists in the medical field, not merely social scientists...

If I may interject respectfully, dementia is listed as an axis I disorder in our maligned but beloved DSM, which squarely places cognitive disorders in our scope of practice. Any form of preventable or treatable dementing process is extremely important for all Psychiatrists to understand and study. Maybe I'm confused, I thought this was a forum for Psychiatrists in the medical field, not merely social scientists...

I did not say dementia does not have a psychiatric component to it. I said it may be "more of interest to neurologists than psychiatrists." The poster was referring to "primary progressive aphasia and frontotemporal dementia" which made me think "neurology".

I am not a psychiatrist but psychology graduate so obviously I am speaking theoretically not based on clinical experience.

*steps away from the thread hoping he did not start the whole neuropsychiatry debate anew.*