vasodilator of choice in aortic dissection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was reading the last guidelines I could find (2010) - and they said that nipride is the vasodilator of choice when beta blockade alone is insufficient to lower SBP to 100-110. In practice we use nicardipine the vast majority of the time, one reason is to avoid cyanide toxicitity. Does anyone know of updated guidelines?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe using nitroprusside OR nicardipine OR fenoldapam PLUS and IV B-blocker (labetalol or esmolol) are all appropriate depending on what's on formulary and such
 
I believe using nitroprusside OR nicardipine OR fenoldapam PLUS and IV B-blocker (labetalol or esmolol) are all appropriate depending on what's on formulary and such
I generally have used nicardipine (fenoldapam is rarely used here) if the beta blocker is not enough. (FYI - always always always use the bete blocker, even if the HR is 65!