Vasopressin drip rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GA8314

Regaining my sanity
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I need to make sure I'm not losing my mind. But, during residency I recall running vasopressin at 0.5 to 1 U/Min (yes minute) for short periods of time coming off of a long bypass run on a tough patient.

Literature suggests max of 0.1u/Min.

Am I imagining things here? I'm 99% positive we did this and I had some great cardiac attendings. It was not a common thing but when running Milrinone and for long repairs (aortic dissections for example), we did need to run pretty aggressively.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

We run max of 0.04 u/min. Higher and I think you run the risk of gut ischemia. Additionally coronary arteries have a high density of V1 receptors so non-bypassed vessels might have vasoconstricted blood flow that might lead to ischemia.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a very large dose my friend, the patient will most likely look like a cadaver due to severe peripheral vasoconstriction and many organs will not get any blood flow.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is a high dose, maybe reasonable for short periods of time immediately post bypass. Bad idea to continue it otherwise as it vasoconstricts the splanchnic/pulmonary circulation to higher degree than norepinephrine. The 0.04 u/min number comes from physiological depletion of vasopressin in septic shock vs. cardiogenic. The VAAST trial showed a (non-significant) trend to decreased mortality when it was added to NE however with increased digital ischemia. Surviving Sepsis guidelines added it as an adjunctive at 0.03 u/min.

My view: it's a great adjunctive when your NE starts going through the roof, more balanced vasoconstrict, but I would only use it in septic shock & possibly post-bypass as long as it was a distributive shock vs. a cardiac problem. I don't titrate it.

Gosh, maybe we were running it at 0.1 u/min. not 1u/min
Haven't run a Vaso gtt since residency

I think so. 1 unit per minute???

We were 0.04u/min and leave it, occasionally .06 or .08 for short periods of time (post-bypass, releasing clamps, etc)

Some institutions also run 2.4-6 units/hour instead of 0.04-0.1 units per minute. Maybe your whole number came from a dosing scheme using those kind of rates.