VCOM and VT rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if any current students could comment on the rotations at VCOM especially now that VT is moving full steam ahead. I saw on VCOMs website they have rotations with at Carilion but I was under the impression VT had a pretty big monopoly on that hospital system? I am pretty ignorant of that whole location but I just applied to vcom so I would definitely love to hear more about it from current students.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey just wondering if any current students could comment on the rotations at VCOM especially now that VT is moving full steam ahead. I saw on VCOMs website they have rotations with at Carilion but I was under the impression VT had a pretty big monopoly on that hospital system? I am pretty ignorant of that whole location but I just applied to vcom so I would definitely love to hear more about it from current students.

From what I understand, a significant portion of VCOM students still rotate at Carilion. I am getting ready to start in august so maybe a more experienced VCOM student would like to shed some more light on this

Yes, a good portion of students can and do rotate at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Students can also rotate at both the Salem VA and Lewis Gale Hospital in Salem.

The selection process for core region/site can be a bit complex. I will be happy to give an overview later, but I have my USMLE this week and COMLEX two weeks after. Bump this thread again after a while if you can't get any more questions answered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, a good portion of students can and do rotate at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Students can also rotate at both the Salem VA and Lewis Gale Hospital in Salem.

The selection process for core region/site can be a bit complex. I will be happy to give an overview later, but I have my USMLE this week and COMLEX two weeks after. Bump this thread again after a while if you can't get any more questions answered.

god's speed. may the 2 biochem questions and minutia be ever in your favor.

Neurospeed- when you get the chance could you please explain the core site selection process? I will be starting at VCOM this fall and I am aiming to get rotations within one hour from my SO. There are 2 such rotation sites. Will it be feasible for me to get those rotations from your experience at VCOM? Good luck with boards!!!

Neurospeed- when you get the chance could you please explain the core site selection process? I will be starting at VCOM this fall and I am aiming to get rotations within one hour from my SO. There are 2 such rotation sites. Will it be feasible for me to get those rotations from your experience at VCOM? Good luck with boards!!!
Basically during block 7 they will come talk to you about this, but the way it works is you'll get a presentation on available sites and their rotations, then you'll have 2 weeks or so to make your decision. They will give you a piece of paper, where you have to rank all core locations (and some, like NRV / Roanoke, will have core sites that you have to rank within them). The paper also gives you a little space to state your reasons for your top location and site choices. This is where you would put in the location of your significant other, previous work experience with the hospital system, etc. You will also get a second sheet of paper where you can claim special circumstances (Children in school or with special needs, or family members with special needs, or if you are married to another VCOM student, requesting placement together). If you claim a special circumstance, they will require documentation proving it (i.e. school enrollment proof, physician letter, etc).

Once they get everyone's paperwork, they'll start to work on core sites. If there are fewer requests for a site than there are spaces, then everyone gets a spot. If there are more requests then spots, then individuals with special circumstances get priority, and everyone else goes into a random lottery to see who gets the leftover spots, and who has to go to their 2nd or 3rd choice rotations. So the chances of getting your prime location are dependent on both the popularity as well as the number of spots available. I think unofficially, people who are married/engaged to non-VCOM students with good jobs get a little leg up as well, but they won't confirm that. Long-term girlfriend/boyfriend, however, may not help you out.

A few weeks after turning in your selection forms, they'll send out the core rotation assignments so you at least know where you will be, and you can start looking for housing. You won't get your rotation schedule until later.

Overall, I think they do a pretty good job with it. Sure there are some people that are unhappy, but for the most part it's as reasonable of a process as can be.

Hope this helps.

Basically during block 7 they will come talk to you about this, but the way it works is you'll get a presentation on available sites and their rotations, then you'll have 2 weeks or so to make your decision. They will give you a piece of paper, where you have to rank all core locations (and some, like NRV / Roanoke, will have core sites that you have to rank within them). The paper also gives you a little space to state your reasons for your top location and site choices. This is where you would put in the location of your significant other, previous work experience with the hospital system, etc. You will also get a second sheet of paper where you can claim special circumstances (Children in school or with special needs, or family members with special needs, or if you are married to another VCOM student, requesting placement together). If you claim a special circumstance, they will require documentation proving it (i.e. school enrollment proof, physician letter, etc).

Once they get everyone's paperwork, they'll start to work on core sites. If there are fewer requests for a site than there are spaces, then everyone gets a spot. If there are more requests then spots, then individuals with special circumstances get priority, and everyone else goes into a random lottery to see who gets the leftover spots, and who has to go to their 2nd or 3rd choice rotations. So the chances of getting your prime location are dependent on both the popularity as well as the number of spots available. I think unofficially, people who are married/engaged to non-VCOM students with good jobs get a little leg up as well, but they won't confirm that. Long-term girlfriend/boyfriend, however, may not help you out.

A few weeks after turning in your selection forms, they'll send out the core rotation assignments so you at least know where you will be, and you can start looking for housing. You won't get your rotation schedule until later.

Overall, I think they do a pretty good job with it. Sure there are some people that are unhappy, but for the most part it's as reasonable of a process as can be.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! Yes it seems very fair! Hopefully we will be engaged by then :) If not I will keep my fingers crossed for my top two choices. Again, thank you!

The way they do their rotations is like a mini-match. Just concentrate on getting through the first 7 blocks and everything will fall into place. If you need any advice feel free to PM me

The way they do their rotations is like a mini-match. Just concentrate on getting through the first 7 blocks and everything will fall into place. If you need any advice feel free to PM me

Thank you! Yeah I need to concentrate on the first 7 blocks and just stay positive!

Just want to go ahead and note that some of the schools that I interviewed at, both MD and DO, gave you virtually no options into where you rotated. So having any input into where you go is nice.

Also, one of the reasons why I chose VCOM, was because you pretty much rotate in one region. Even though there may be a few different hospitals that you rotate in, they are within driving distance. There may be sometimes that you have to travel further, but it is nothing like PCOM, Drexel or LECOM where they send you all over the place from month the month.

Just want to go ahead and note that some of the schools that I interviewed at, both MD and DO, gave you virtually no options into where you rotated. So having any input into where you go is nice.

Also, one of the reasons why I chose VCOM, was because you pretty much rotate in one region. Even though there may be a few different hospitals that you rotate in, they are within driving distance. There may be sometimes that you have to travel further, but it is nothing like PCOM, Drexel or LECOM where they send you all over the place from month the month.
I was unaware that PCOM sends people so far? I knew LECOM did, but I was imagining that PCOM had a really established core facility?

I was unaware that PCOM sends people so far? I knew LECOM did, but I was imagining that PCOM had a really established core facility?

That's what I thought too.....until i went to interview there and left disappointed. Don't get me wrong, their sites are amazing, but for somebody that is married to move around like that I was worried. I forget exactly how it works, but I believe you apply for certain sites/hospitals and they pick students basically based off academic performance. Say for instance you want to rotate in Childrens Hospital of PA, the demand is so high that you have to sign up for it, and if you don't get it right away, you have to wait till later on in your third year etc. So not only may you not get it, it seemed to me that you wouldn't really know too far ahead of time where you were going. Now, most of the sites of course are in Philly, but they have other rotation sites too that you most certainly would have to go to because the Philly spots are so sought after. They have sites across PA, much further than driving distance, that you would have to go to for certain rotations.

I didn't really get this impression until I got to the school itself and asked them direct questions. I suggest you do the same if you're wondering about the school because the website is really complicated and dense.

All else aside, PCOM is obviously a great great school it was just a personal choice I would've had to make ((they rejected me anyway hahah)) Fun stuff

Also, I want to note this was just my information that I gathered on one interview. I may be wrong about some of it so ask a PCOM student and just ask the right questions.

That's what I thought too.....until i went to interview there and left disappointed. Don't get me wrong, their sites are amazing, but for somebody that is married to move around like that I was worried. I forget exactly how it works, but I believe you apply for certain sites/hospitals and they pick students basically based off academic performance. Say for instance you want to rotate in Childrens Hospital of PA, the demand is so high that you have to sign up for it, and if you don't get it right away, you have to wait till later on in your third year etc. So not only may you not get it, it seemed to me that you wouldn't really know too far ahead of time where you were going. Now, most of the sites of course are in Philly, but they have other rotation sites too that you most certainly would have to go to because the Philly spots are so sought after. They have sites across PA, much further than driving distance, that you would have to go to for certain rotations.

I didn't really get this impression until I got to the school itself and asked them direct questions. I suggest you do the same if you're wondering about the school because the website is really complicated and dense.

All else aside, PCOM is obviously a great great school it was just a personal choice I would've had to make ((they rejected me anyway hahah)) Fun stuff

Also, I want to note this was just my information that I gathered on one interview. I may be wrong about some of it so ask a PCOM student and just ask the right questions.

Wow, thank you so much. I mean yea it would be a challenging decision if for instance I get into VCOM and PCOM this cycle haha.... tough choices to be made. I am married as well and definitely looking for some place that really has a core rotation setup that is not only close but also respects people with a family. If I was a young bachelor still, I couldnt care less. But I am not going to just up and leave for months and months. I understand for interview rotations an stuff, sure. But why should I have to travel 2 hours for a 3rd year IM or FM rotation, you know?

I am very much hoping that I can express my interest enough to VCOM. I am currently living in Wisconsin for my wife's schooling. But I was born, raised, went to college in, and hope to practice around, western Maryland. So I am really hoping VCOM will be able to see that through my application some how - that I am not just some random dude from Wisconsin - but that I would love to end up living and practicing in the Appalachian region. I like dont know how to get it across strong enough haha. I like want to write them a letter and just tell them hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
There
Wow, thank you so much. I mean yea it would be a challenging decision if for instance I get into VCOM and PCOM this cycle haha.... tough choices to be made. I am married as well and definitely looking for some place that really has a core rotation setup that is not only close but also respects people with a family. If I was a young bachelor still, I couldnt care less. But I am not going to just up and leave for months and months. I understand for interview rotations an stuff, sure. But why should I have to travel 2 hours for a 3rd year IM or FM rotation, you know?

I am very much hoping that I can express my interest enough to VCOM. I am currently living in Wisconsin for my wife's schooling. But I was born, raised, went to college in, and hope to practice around, western Maryland. So I am really hoping VCOM will be able to see that through my application some how - that I am not just some random dude from Wisconsin - but that I would love to end up living and practicing in the Appalachian region. I like dont know how to get it across strong enough haha. I like want to write them a letter and just tell them hahaha

Although most of the people seem to be from around "an Appalachian" state, I know two people from Washington, I know a person from Minnesota, Wisconsin, California and that's just off the top of my head. I think they look at many things, most importantly interest in patient care blah blah blah, so living in Wisconsin I don't think will hurt you one bit

Last edited:
Hey just bumping to see if anyone else has some information on the relationship between VCOM and VTC for rotations. VTC did not close off any spots right? In fact did they give VCOM students more spots to rotate at?

Right now VCOM is my top choice school so I am definitely just trying to get some more information on all the 3rd and 4th year opportunities.

PCOM doesn't necessarily send you so far away unless you want to be far away. The major exceptions with this are ob/gyn because hospitals with obgyn services are just limited in general in the area and rural rotation. Most other specialties have a solid amount of home based options that are near Philadelphia.

PCOM doesn't necessarily send you so far away unless you want to be far away. The major exceptions with this are ob/gyn because hospitals with obgyn services are just limited in general in the area and rural rotation. Most other specialties have a solid amount of home based options that are near Philadelphia.
As a potential student, I was afraid of even one away rotation because I was married. It wouldn't have been the end of the world obviously but not ideal for me.

Hey just bumping to see if anyone else has some information on the relationship between VCOM and VTC for rotations. VTC did not close off any spots right? In fact did they give VCOM students more spots to rotate at?

Right now VCOM is my top choice school so I am definitely just trying to get some more information on all the 3rd and 4th year opportunities.
As far as I know, VTC hasn't closed off spots. I don't know if this is changing and I'm sure I'll find out more during second year but I haven't heard anything about VTC not taking VCOM students.

Keep in mind, at VCOM you pick a "region" for rotations. I forget what the Roanoke one is called exactly, but it includes VTC, Lewis Gale Hospital in Salem (another good hospital where a relative of mine works) and I think a VA center. So as a VCOM student you wouldn't be just at VTC, but a few others as well. All the hospitals in that rotation "region" are great in my opinion.

From what I've gathered reading on carilion, whenever VT is mentioned by means of accommodation, they also mention VCOM. So it seems like they make it clear that their two academic obligations are equal between the two institutions.

As a potential student, I was afraid of even one away rotation because I was married. It wouldn't have been the end of the world obviously but not ideal for me.
Ha, I'm married and I don't mind being away :)

But I understand. I just wanted to clarify for the other person that about the thought that "PCOM sends you so far away"

Who do y'all think gives an easier ability to remain close but still have quality rotations? PCOM or VCOM?
Originally I was under the impression that VCOM sent you farther. But over the last couple of months I heard PCOM sends farther.

Again, I am married, so just for easiness, closer is better. But if it means giving up good rotations and having audition rotations, I'll go the distance for a time.

Last edited:
Who do y'all think gives an easier ability to remain close but still have quality rotations? PCOM or VCOM?
Originally I was under the impression that VCOM sent you farther. But over the last couple of months I heard PCOM sends farther.

Again, I am married, so just for easiness, closer is better. But if it means giving up good rotations and having audition rotations, I'll go the distance for a time.

As for VCOM, the best thing you can do is look at the regions. http://www.vcom.edu/clinical/hospitals_va.html This link has the region, and the hospitals affiliated with that region. They may change from year to year. What happens, is that second year you pick your top 3 regions, and there is a "match" like system to decide which one you get. The region you are assigned is where you live for that entire year. For instance, when you click on the link, you'll see the "Roanoke Valley Virginia Region" has 4 hospitals in it. These are the 4 you would rotate in, and all are with in driving distance.

So for VCOM, your third year may be far from blacksburg.....but for that year, you would not not have to move from month to month, each rotation is within driving distance for that third year. Hope this helps

As for VCOM, the best thing you can do is look at the regions. http://www.vcom.edu/clinical/hospitals_va.html This link has the region, and the hospitals affiliated with that region. They may change from year to year. What happens, is that second year you pick your top 3 regions, and there is a "match" like system to decide which one you get. The region you are assigned is where you live for that entire year. For instance, when you click on the link, you'll see the "Roanoke Valley Virginia Region" has 4 hospitals in it. These are the 4 you would rotate in, and all are with in driving distance.

So for VCOM, your third year may be far from blacksburg.....but for that year, you would not not have to move from month to month, each rotation is within driving distance for that third year. Hope this helps
Thank you for shedding some light on this

Is it possible to get the same region more than once or do you have to change regions?
I think the idea is that you get one region for all of third year then fourth year it's expected you'll do auditions at places for potential residency spots

Ohhh I'm sorry, I see it there. Well that's pretty swell then. That's awesome, I really dig that idea

For the rotation match does family stuff go into account? Like some schools have it where its 100% random. Others have that you put your favorites and can out that you have a spouse/kids in a certain location etc. And like that helps guarantee a location better.

Yes, I've heard from several people that personal circumstances such as family will be given preference.

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone. It has really helped me and will hopefully help me make a more informed decision if I am lucky enough, in a couple months.

Yes, I've heard from several people that personal circumstances such as family will be given preference.

Yes that is true. Such as a spouse who has employment in the area and children. It isn't a guarantee but the do take it into strong consideration.

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone. It has really helped me and will hopefully help me make a more informed decision if I am lucky enough, in a couple months.

And yes, I believe 4th year you pick a region but at that point you are doing audition rotations so really, it isn't as much of a concern. I'm not exactly sure how 4th year works, its too much to think of at once haha. You can only plan ahead so much without going crazy.

@ anonymousD.O. ... Can you share any info you might have or maybe even rank the competitiveness of each region? Does everyone want to go to carilion I assume?

@ anonymousD.O. ... Can you share any info you might have or maybe even rank the competitiveness of each region? Does everyone want to go to carilion I assume?

That's the million dollar question because everyone wants to get their pick but doesn't want to get screwed. I have heard (and again although the other stuff on here so far I have said is pretty much fact, this is more hear say) that Blacksburg is a very popular pick simply because a lot of people like VT and living in the town, and also they don't want to move.

The other two popular ones is the Roanoke region (the VTC one) and the Virginia Beach Reason, both are popular for obvious reasons. VTC isn't quite as popular as you may think, it isn't like people go crazy over it, reason being a lot of people go to VCOM because they like the idea of doing rotations at smaller hospitals with more one on one contact, which one wouldn't get at VTC (it is more your typical medical school experience I would think). So although VTC is up there I think most people have a pretty good shot at getting it.

One caveat, as long as this hasn't changed since last year, is that you can't list Blacksburg and Roanoke as #1 and #2. You can put them as #1 and #3 though.

One caveat, as long as this hasn't changed since last year, is that you can't list Blacksburg and Roanoke as #1 and #2. You can put them as #1 and #3 though.
Haha it's funny bc as I was reading I'm thinking to myself that I should put them as 1 and 2 then I get to this part.

Also, by virginia beach do you mean the eastern virginia region? The only hospital in that region is Newport News so does that mean you'd do all rotations at the same hospital?

Haha nice. Means I'm asking the right questions. @Awesome Sauceome where are you at with your vcom app?
I have it all sent in. Just hoping and waiting for an interview at this point. The only schools that I am still working on secondaries (still slowly working because I am burnt out) is PCOM and UNECOM. Otherwise everything is in at all my schools. I am waiting to get the email from VCOM saying that my LORs have arrived...

How about yourself?

Nice man! I am getting ready to start here in a week or so as a first year. I turned in my vcom secondary on august first last year. Then I interviewed the Monday before Halloween and then got the call on Halloween. Just so you know that they might not call you for interviews until octover

Nice man! I am getting ready to start here in a week or so as a first year. I turned in my vcom secondary on august first last year. Then I interviewed the Monday before Halloween and then got the call on Halloween. Just so you know that they might not call you for interviews until octover
danggggg the lateness kills me haha... but I suppose thats what these next couple months are about - stewing.

Also, by virginia beach do you mean the eastern virginia region? The only hospital in that region is Newport News so does that mean you'd do all rotations at the same hospital?
Yes I believe that that region also goes to richmond some as well....which is about a 45 min drive but its manageable I guess

danggggg the lateness kills me haha... but I suppose thats what these next couple months are about - stewing.
Ya I know people that got interviews quick. Mine was pretty late as well however, I think there is a little bit of luck thrown in there for every school.

You are absolutely right, but are missing an important detail. Anyone who is on the faculty's "good side" gets automatic selection to their top choice. They are basically selected by one or two individuals based on their OPINION of where people should go.