VCOM Auburn V VCOM Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am leaning towards VCOM Auburn because I hear that their Sports Medicine Physicians have a strong connection to the athletic department. My number one choice medical specialty wise is PM and R with a sports medicine sub-specialization so, having the opportunity to network with these physicians sounds like an awesome opportunity. I also came from a mostly commuter school so the idea of going to a med school connected to an SEC campus sounds appealing. I don't know much about VCOM Virginia, but I am wondering if I would have similar opportunities at this campus? If any students or people who know about this could give me some insight, it would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Our campus (Carolinas) had a PMR match get accepted to John Hopkins last cycle.
Opportunity doesn't get better than that.

Reactions: 1 users
Goro says that Virginia campus > Auburns = Carolinas > La.
Virginia and Auburn both offer the same opportunity (i'm pretty sure) in the Sports Med category, ones ACC and the other is SEC
Carolinas has put three people into John Hopkins PM&R residency over the last six classes.

AS far as PM&R goes, you'll get a residency if thats what you want. The VCOM name holds some kind of weight at Johns Hopkins - probably successful graduates from the carolinas campus as made that connection. As far as experience, SEC schools live the dream. As far as opportunities, Vtech campus has the most research.

I don't think you can go wrong to pick any of those three campuses for what you're looking to get out of your education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro says that Virginia campus > Auburns = Carolinas > La.
Virginia and Auburn both offer the same opportunity (i'm pretty sure) in the Sports Med category, ones ACC and the other is SEC
Carolinas has put three people into John Hopkins PM&R residency over the last six classes.

AS far as PM&R goes, you'll get a residency if thats what you want. The VCOM name holds some kind of weight at Johns Hopkins - probably successful graduates from the carolinas campus as made that connection. As far as experience, SEC schools live the dream. As far as opportunities, Vtech campus has the most research.

I don't think you can go wrong to pick any of those three campuses for what you're looking to get out of your education.
Thanks for the insight. I haven't looked at the Carolina Campus, do you think it would be worth applying there for their reputation for PM and R? Or should I mainly prioritize the campus whose overall feel I like more? @hungrydoc710

Thanks for the insight. I haven't looked at the Carolina Campus, do you think it would be worth applying there for their reputation for PM and R? Or should I mainly prioritize the campus whose overall feel I like more? @hungrydoc710
You know that you only appy to one campus and then you rank them in the order of preference on the secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Whichever campus you feel you’d be happier at should be primary reason

Choose Virginia. This is coming from a student at VCOM-Auburn. Virginia has higher board averages (they average 30-40 points higher on COMLEX every year) and they have less faculty turnover. As for our sports med physicians, they are bomb but unless you know 100% you are doing PM&R, I would suggest Virginia.

Screenshot (26).png

Choose Virginia. This is coming from a student at VCOM-Auburn. Virginia has higher board averages (they average 30-40 points higher on COMLEX every year) and they have less faculty turnover. As for our sports med physicians, they are bomb but unless you know 100% you are doing PM&R, I would suggest Virginia.
Lol, dang its too late. I already put Auburn as my number 1 and Virginia as number 2. Do you know if there is a way to alter this?

Lol, dang its too late. I already put Auburn as my number 1 and Virginia as number 2. Do you know if there is a way to alter this?

Call Va admissions and change your designation they’ll do it for you!

I'm so sorry! But @soccer96 is right. Just call admissions and they shouldn't have an issue with it. And I don't say this out of anger toward our campus, but they have a lot that needs to be fixed before I can recommend them.

I'm so sorry! But @soccer96 is right. Just call admissions and they shouldn't have an issue with it. And I don't say this out of anger toward our campus, but they have a lot that needs to be fixed before I can recommend them.
Im just gonna put this out here;

Virginia has higher board averages because they accept higher quality students because they have a more competitive applicant pool -> because they are the original campus, so people think it is better, so the better applicants apply, get a more competitive pool, accept higher quality applicants, get higher board scores, end up in a self-perpetrating cycle. But they literally get the same slides we do.

Auburn has its problems, but I do dare warn you, that almost every one I've talked to recently feels like their campus has problems, and a lot of us are bitter. But that is due to how things have been since quarantine, not because we actually have functional issues has a specific campus.

Also, they try to match you to the campus closest to your hometown, so just keep that in mind as well.

@samurai5511 you keep posting new threads every few days, looking for the best schools and the best advice - which is fine. But I think it is relevant for you to realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Reactions: 1 users
Rogue42 is right - going to the campus which has better board scores, isn’t going to get you better scores. If you work hard, you’ll do well.

Having said that, Step 1 is already pass fail and Level 1 is rumored to go that way soon too.

Like I said go where you’ll be happier. You’ll do better in school and outside of it.

Rogue42 is right - going to the campus which has better board scores, isn’t going to get you better scores. If you work hard, you’ll do well.

Having said that, Step 1 is already pass fail and Level 1 is rumored to go that way soon too.

Like I said go where you’ll be happier. You’ll do better in school and outside of it.
Thanks for the insight again. Really appreciate all the help and different perspectives yall have given.

VA campus has their ducks in a row but dam is that campus miserable and old, Auburn has a much newer campus but the faculty are shakey. That being said you have access to all the campus lecture videos so can always watch the better teachers at VA campus from auburn. Sports med in auburn is pretty cool especially with football if thats your thing. Vcom-VA is more established research wise too although I will say if you are active in looking for research at auburn there is plenty especially with Auburn-U a block away. I went to school at both campuses (masters and current med school) so if there's anything specific reach out and i can try and help

VA campus has their ducks in a row but dam is that campus miserable and old, Auburn has a much newer campus but the faculty are shakey. That being said you have access to all the campus lecture videos so can always watch the better teachers at VA campus from auburn. Sports med in auburn is pretty cool especially with football if thats your thing. Vcom-VA is more established research wise too although I will say if you are active in looking for research at auburn there is plenty especially with Auburn-U a block away. I went to school at both campuses (masters and current med school) so if there's anything specific reach out and i can try and help
Thanks apprentice it