VCOM - Auburn vs. AROCM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have acceptances to both VCOM - Auburn, and ARCOM. I am also interviewing at KCUCOM in late January and will probably choose this school if I get in because of how well established it is. I have a deposit due for ARCOM soon and need to make a deposit by December 17th. I am pretty confused as to which school would be better. I loved ARCOM from the tour and am leaning towards choosing it over VCOM but, know it is a new school. I also liked VCOM - Auburn, especially since it is in a college town but, couldn't get a feel for the school because the tour was virtual. I may go up and check out Auburn but, I do not feel like I will be able to get a good enough view of it if I do not tour the school in person. The admissions person who called me said that I wouldn't be guaranteed a tour so, this makes the decision that much harder. I have really limited financial means right now so, I think I will only be able to afford to make 2 deposits. My top two specialties are Internal and PM and R, if this makes a difference. Also, is there a chance that I may end up getting more interviews? I feel like I should but, I am not sure how late it is for the DO cycle.

Have an update and they will let me tour the school in January. I am just going to put the deposit down for ARCOM and make my decision after touring the VCOM campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't feel like the restrictions around COVID and not being able to tour a school should negatively impact your decision. Perhaps, one could say that maybe you should view VCOM in a better light as they are protecting their students since they do not want outsiders who haven't quarantined themselves to enter the building and risk our education.

However, I can see your predicament. Auburn is worth a visit, and you can definitely see the school, and get a good idea about the standards they keep - especially if it is this close of a decision for you. Personally, I would meet you to have a conversation about it if I was in town when you come.

Secondly, VCOM has solid matches in Internal med and PM&R (but the PM&Rs are from the carolinas campus). That doesn't mean you can't match it from here, because i personally don't know anyone who has actually been interested enough in it to try.

I don't have any information on ARCOM, mostly because it is so new.

Good luck in your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't feel like the restrictions around COVID and not being able to tour a school should negatively impact your decision. Perhaps, one could say that maybe you should view VCOM in a better light as they are protecting their students since they do not want outsiders who haven't quarantined themselves to enter the building and risk our education.

However, I can see your predicament. Auburn is worth a visit, and you can definitely see the school, and get a good idea about the standards they keep - especially if it is this close of a decision for you. Personally, I would meet you to have a conversation about it if I was in town when you come.

Secondly, VCOM has solid matches in Internal med and PM&R (but the PM&Rs are from the carolinas campus). That doesn't mean you can't match it from here, because i personally don't know anyone who has actually been interested enough in it to try.

I don't have any information on ARCOM, mostly because it is so new.

Good luck in your decision!
Thanks for the insight. I actually think I will be able to tour in January so, I will make sure and DM you then. Thank you for the offer!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a former graduate of VCOM Auburn....I’d choose literally ANY school but that one. Admin doesn’t care about students, lots and lots of internal issues, LOTS of students held back repeatedly/kicked out/failed boards. It got me into my top choice residency, so there’s that, but I feel like I got there in spite of VCOM not because of them, and many of my friends have had much, much worse outcomes because of that school.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users