VCOM - Carolina vs. LECOM - Bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrNovember

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted to 2 schools so far, VCOM Carolinas Campus and LECOM Bradenton. Both of these schools impressed me much more than the other schools I interviewed at so far. I am on the waitlist at AZCOM, LMU, and Mercer and I have an interview coming up at LECOM Erie.

But as of now, this is my decision to make: VCOM CC vs LECOM B.

The way I see it...

LECOM Bradenton

Pros:
- Tuition - ~28k which makes LECOM very hard to turn down.
- Near the BEACH. The beaches at Bradenton are beautiful.
- Warm weather
- PBL - learning in a clinical context. This aspect of PBL I like.
- possibly more free time, more control over my own education.
- 100% COMLEX pass rate

Cons:

- PBL - the curriculum itself sounds like a real challenge, especially coming out of the traditional lecture/undergrad experience. Also somewhat concerned about missing out on possibly important material because PBL does not have the same structure as a lecture environment.
- Bradenton seemed to have less going on as a town than other cities I have interviewed in.

VCOM Carolinas

Pros:

- Spartanburg seemed like a nice town. Shared campus with Wofford College, so full access to their facilities. Other colleges nearby also, so it seemed like there were plenty of people my age and things to do.
- Lecture-driven curriculum
- Tuition - 37k, which is cheaper than a lot of other schools out there.
- Warm, southern climate (though near as warm as Florida)
- Staff and students were friendly and interested.
- Mission trips, research opportunities (possibly)

Cons:

- Higher tuition than Bradenton
- New school
- Unknown board pass rates, residency placement (due to being new)
- Specifics about rotations unclear (no 3rd-4th year students to speak to)

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many will say take the lower tuition, and I would agree, but I have major reservations about the PBL stuff. Why? Don't know. It just doesn't seem like it is a good idea to me. I work very well with deadlines and having a set amount of stuff to get done, and PBL isn't really structured like that (from what I know). PBL may be better than sex, I don't know. But I have heard of people loving LECOM and when boards come they are thinking, "oh frick I don't know anything and have so much to do." But this would be very person dependent.

So ultimately, I have no real value to add other than my unjustified personal opinion of PBL. Without knowing anything about either campus (i didn't apply to either of these schools), I would go VCOM.

But then again, PBL is probably something to get used to, and if enough people told me that PBL was good or at least good enough, I could be easily swayed because LECOM's tuition is awesome.

possibly more free time, more control over my own education.

I'm going to Lecom this June. I'm not really expecting to have any more free time than somewhere else. However, I absolutely LOVE the idea of having control over my education. I get a say in what I want to focus on, I definitely decide how I want to do it, and I decide how much of my time goes to each topic/section/subject. Plus, you have more control over your schedule so if you need to be somewhere in the middle of the day then you can schedule for that by making up the time later that night. It just feels like a much more flexible curriculum in that sense. You probably do need a decent amount of self-control though since there's no monkey on your back all day telling you to learn.

In my mind, here's how I see it:
Lower tuition + more control = Easy choice

Then again, I haven't seen VCOM so mine is a really one-sided opinion...

Members don't see this ad :)
The tuition at LECOM-B was unjustified IMO. Nobody "teaches" you, you have no extra amenities (gym, sim lab, etc.), and you still have to put up with LECOM's notorious rules (dress code, no food/drink outside of cafeteria, etc.). Sure, the tuition is low, but why shouldn't it be? If it was any more money, it would be a rip off. PBL isn't for everyone, but somehow it DOES work as evidenced by the first time pass rate for COMLEX. After sitting in a session during my interview, I didn't think PBL was for me. Bradenton is a beautiful area and it is close to St. Petersburg/Tampa, which are awesome cities to visit. It is warm through November and if you like kayaking, fishing, or surfing then you will love the area. I know I did. Also, the cost of living is decent so that is another benefit.

As far as VCOM is concerned, I had an interview scheduled back in November but I withdrew and never attended.

I think the biggest and most obvious difference is going to be how you learn. While in med school that is all you are doing so you need to be at a place that fosters your learning environment. I had a choice between LECOM-erie and VCOM-carolinas and I chose VCOM simply for the amazing staff and warm weather. I lucked out in that I benefit from hearing a lecturer talk about a topic. When the test comes I do better recalling what I heard better than remembering what I read. You need to think about how you learn and if its better on your own you should really consider LECOM, if it is better having a teacher explain things to you you should consider VCOM. If you hate attending lectures and get nothing out of them VCOM is not for you. We have an 85% attendance policy and I can tell you those who do not enjoy lectures are not happy about the policy. If you do well with lecturers and learning by hearing you will love VCOM.
The money really shouldn't be the main thing on your mind. Spartanburg is a pretty cheap place to live and while it won't equal out in the end it won't be the end of the world either.
Some other things to consider are the activities you will get to do while in school. I'm not sure if LECOM has clubs or clinics to work at but VCOM has specialty oriented clubs, sports groups that play after class on light days, a free clinic in town that we all get the opportunity to work at, flu shot clinics, blood drives for the town, and a lot of other events that help us learn how to become great doctors and help Spartanburg receive additional medical care. We also have our standardized patients each block and SIM procedures. This block we will be learning how to do a lumbar puncture. So for being a "new" school we really have a lot going on to keep busy if you feel like procrastinating, which most of us do. I do not know if LECOM has these as well.
Good luck making the decision and don't make it based on what you read on SDN, make the best decision for you and your individual education.

Here is my opinion which is limited to my knowledge:

Any two schools will give you a very similar education...very similar knowledge...very similar professors...very similar board prep....

Their OPTI's are what will differ. In this case, the LECOM OPTI is GIGANTIC..but please recognize that this OPTI serves all 3 LECOM's....the VCOM OPTI is decent but still not as well developed as the LECOM OPTI

LECOM OPTI

PROGRAMS

17 AOA approved/applied for osteopathic internships
70 AOA approved/applied for residencies/fellowships

Residencies:
Family Practice:
Aultman Hospital, Canton, OH
Clarion Hospital, Clarion, PA
Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center, Johnstown, PA
Cooper Green Mercy Hospital, Birmingham, AL
Erie County Medical Center/SUNY at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
Guthrie/Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre, PA
Manatee Memorial Hospital, Bradenton, FL
Marquette General Health System, Marquette, MI
Meadville Medical Center, Meadville, PA
Memorial Hospital, York, PA
Millcreek Community Hospital, Erie, PA
Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center, Niagara Falls, NY
PinnacleHealth Harrisburg Hospital, Harrisburg, PA
St. Petersburg General Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL
The Washington Hospital, Washington, Pa
The Western Pennsylvania Hospital/Forbes Regional Campus, Pittsburgh, PA
University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center, Richmond Heights, OH
UPMC Horizon, Farrell, PA
UPMC McKeesport, McKeesport, PA
UPMC St. Margaret, Pittsburgh, PA
Wellington Regional Medical Center, Wellington, FL
Westchester General Hospital, Miami, FL
Westview Hospital, Indianapolis, IN

General Surgery:

Internal Medicine:
Manatee Memorial Hospital, Bradenton, FL
Northside Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL
Sacred Heart Health System, Pensacola, FL
The Wright Center for Graduate Medical Education, Scranton, PA

Orthopedic Surgery:

Dermatology:
Alta Dermatology Residency Training Program, Mesa, AZ

Emergency Medicine:
Saint Vincent Health Center, Erie, PA
UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA

Neurology:
UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA

Obstetrics/Gynecology:

Ophthalmology:
*Florida Osteopathic Education Institute (FOEI), New Port Richey, FL

Otolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery (ENT):

Pediatrics:

Proctologic Surgery:

Psychiatry:
*Manatee Glens Hospital, Bradenton, FL

Child/Adolescent Psychiatry (residency or fellowship):

Fellowships:
Cardiology:

Gastroenterology:

Geriatric:
Geriatric-Family Practice:
Geriatric-Internal Medicine:

Integrative Medicine:
*Millcreek Community Hospital, Erie, PA

Gynecology/Oncology:
York Hospital, York, PA

Maternal and Fetal Medicine:
PinnacleHealth Harrisburg Hospital & Maternal Fetal Medicine of Central Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA
York Hospital, York, PA

Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine OMM:
Millcreek community Hospital/"Plus One" Residency Training in NMM and OMM, Erie, PA

Pediatric Allergy and Immunology:

Allergy and Immunology:
*University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center, Richmond Heights, OH

Sports Medicine:
PinnacleHealth Community General Osteopathic Hospital, Harrisburg, PA

Internships:
Clarion Hospital, Clarion, PA
Guthrie/Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre, PA
Meadville Medical Center, Meadville, PA
St. Petersburg General Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL
Saint Vincent Health Center, Erie, PA
The Allegheny General Hospital - Western Pennsylvania Hospital Medical Education Consortium, Pittsburgh, PA
Westchester General Hospital, Miami, FL
York Hospital, York, PA

NOTE: LECOM OPTI serves all three LECOM's

VCOM OPTI
houses the following

4 Internal Medicine program
4 Family Practice Programs
1 Dermatology Program
1 Neurological Surgery program

LECOM OPTI wins here because of the presence of Derm, EM, Ortho, Opthalmo, GS programs...

VCOM OPTI houses just one single specialty program

Thus, I would choose LECOM if I were you...not for ANY reason other than it's relatively more diverse and relatively larger OPTI

They will both take you where you want to go....why not choose the one which will provide more opportunities?