VCOM-CC vs NSU-KPCOM (Davie)

stormcloakdoctor

Mar 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) - Carolinas Campus

Pros
    • Cheaper tuition (45k)
    • Faculty and administration are known to be very welcoming and supportive, and I also got this impression in my communication/interview with them.
    • Facilities are beautiful and new. Full cadaver lab.
    • Higher match rates and board scores.

Cons
    • Traditionally has mandatory (80%) attendance, but since COVID happened, I have been told that they received good feedback on optional attendance and are reconsidering their policy on this.
    • Professional dress code. I do not mind this.
    • Far from family (10 hour drive, 3 hour flight). I am a Florida resident.
    • Unsure that there is much to do in Spartanburg, SC.

Nova Southeastern University Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM) - Davie Campus

Pros
    • Only a 1 hour drive from very supportive parents (who would cook and help out with laundry/cleaning stuff).
    • More established school.
    • University with many colleges, which could be a pro in terms of resources, but could also be a distraction (undergraduates)
    • South Florida

Cons
    • More expensive (55k) with much more expensive COA. Overall, I would be 100k more in debt at the end of the 4 years compared to if I attended VCOM.
    • Declining board scores in recent years.
    • Shady business going on with their administration. Check out this reddit thread. I am strongly dissuaded about the school because of the comments on this post.
    • No cadaver lab access.
    • Smaller con but ex-girlfriend attends here..

Summary: VCOM-CC, while seemingly a good school fostering a good learning environment, is far from home and in a city with not much to do (Spartanburg). It's 100k cheaper over four years. NSU-KPCOM Davie, while a more established school, is much more expensive and has shady things going on with their administration.

I am on my alma mater MD's waitlist, but in the case they don't take me, I would need to choose between these two.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    1. Non-Student
      Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) - Carolinas Campus

Pros
      • Cheaper tuition (45k)
      • Faculty and administration are known to be very welcoming and supportive, and I also got this impression in my communication/interview with them.
      • Facilities are beautiful and new. Full cadaver lab.
      • Higher match rates and board scores.

Cons
      • Traditionally has mandatory (80%) attendance, but since COVID happened, I have been told that they received good feedback on optional attendance and are reconsidering their policy on this.
      • Professional dress code. I do not mind this.
      • Far from family (10 hour drive, 3 hour flight). I am a Florida resident.
      • Unsure that there is much to do in Spartanburg, SC.

Nova Southeastern University Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM) - Davie Campus

Pros
      • Only a 1 hour drive from very supportive parents (who would cook and help out with laundry/cleaning stuff).
      • More established school.
      • University with many colleges, which could be a pro in terms of resources, but could also be a distraction (undergraduates)
      • South Florida
      I can't recommend Nova. Here's why:
      : Two of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. The last two years for which we have data are in the low 90s. They still have yet to post data for the 2019-20 cycle, which is fishy. Some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match, ditto 4% of their Class of 2019. There are also signs of significant delay to graduation in these numbers. That’s still not good for a veteran school. I’d expect > 95% pass rates and match rates closer to 100%. These problems are you expect from a new school. Something is very wrong there. See: Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM
      Cons
      • More expensive (55k) with much more expensive COA. Overall, I would be 100k more in debt at the end of the 4 years compared to if I attended VCOM.
      • Declining board scores in recent years.
      • Shady business going on with their administration. Check out this reddit thread. I am strongly dissuaded about the school because of the comments on this post.
      • No cadaver lab access.
      • Smaller con but ex-girlfriend attends here..

Summary: VCOM-CC, while seemingly a good school fostering a good learning environment, is far from home and in a city with not much to do (Spartanburg). It's 100k cheaper over four years. NSU-KPCOM Davie, while a more established school, is much more expensive and has shady things going on with their administration.

I am on my alma mater MD's waitlist, but in the case they don't take me, I would need to choose between these two.

Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.