VCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quick question VCOMers. My MCAT isnt that hot. However my GPA is good. Im complete at VCOM already but I was wondering if having an interview last year hurts or helps you? I tried to improve all aspects of my application. Does anyone know of any VCOM reapplicant success stories? I'm really depressed about the whole thing. Its killing me waiting to hear about an interview. I only hope they can give me one chance.

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember your numbers correctly, you're not that far off. Just a few more points on the MCAT and you'd be set.

Well they look at your GPA and your interview as the most important. I interviewed there last week and loved it. I have similar stats to you scdocusc- i will know if i got in on thursday so I will let you know. Are you applying with the same MCAT score as last year?

Texas- youd love it there: the Virginia Tech athletic facilities are just breathtaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked into it, but their website states that they give most weight to GPA, and very little weight to MCAT. I've done some nice things since I graduated, but I don't think I've got much of a shot at a school that doesn't care much about the MCAT score. My overall GPA is pretty lame from when I was ******ed.

Good luck to you all!

To scdocusc.. I dont believe it hurts to have been there last year. Unless of course nothing has changed for your application. Did you apply late last year? Did you ask them how to improve your application for this year? IF any of those things apply and you have improved or applied earlier, then it really shouldnt hurt you that you applied last year. I know some that applied before and then got in the following year.
:luck:

Amy,

This might be a strange question but...

Do you think that the block system that is used at VCOM makes it easier or harder to study and do well on boards? I ask this because I like the system because of the frequent breaks after each block and the shorter class days- but I am thinking that it may give less time to study for the COMLEX or USMLE...

hey guys, i just recently got a secondary invite from vcom. i know they do screen for secondaries, but does anybody know to what degree? has anybody heard %'s that get offered a secondary and then %s of those that are offered an interview?

Hey guys,
So I have finally gotten around to filling out the VCOM secondary and was wondering if it is okay to list your answers to the first essay question that says, "What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college?" There isn't much space so I didn't feel I could write a paragraph about each one or even make them flow together very well. I was thinking of doing something like this: 1) Hard working attitude - (explain in a few sentences here)

I'm not the perfect applicant by any means. However, it would probably be best if you write an essay with all five traits and how they are useful to the school. A short thesis and end paragraph. My essay evolved such that each trait I mentioned influences or impacts another trait mentioned. If you choose to list, make the explainations complete and try to link them. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input! Maybe once I get them all down it will be easier to link them in paragraph form.

Thanks for the input! Maybe once I get them all down it will be easier to link them in paragraph form.

i know they do screen for secondaries, but does anybody know to what degree? has anybody heard %'s that get offered a secondary and then %s of those that are offered an interview?

At my interview they said around 2,200 apply and around 300 get interviews for 160 spots.

Amy,

This might be a strange question but...

Do you think that the block system that is used at VCOM makes it easier or harder to study and do well on boards? I ask this because I like the system because of the frequent breaks after each block and the shorter class days- but I am thinking that it may give less time to study for the COMLEX or USMLE...

I personally liked the block schedule and the subject material. I understand they have changed around the blocks since i was there. But I dont think it messes up yoru board studying.. You will also get more time then we had to study for boards so that is good for the classes that followed us. VCOM did listen to us on those issues.

The numbers applying to VCOM have grown each year so do your best on any and all of the essay questions. Take your time on them and make them the best they can be.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the call from Bea that they want me for an interview. I hope this time around is the one. I'm a little nervous about if they ask me about my MCAT score.... I know it's not all about numbers but I don't want to be let down like last year.

I heard that 75% of interviewees get offers (I saw it on the chart somewhere on the forum) is this true?

Dude, good luck and for the love of God, don't go in there feeling sorry for yourself like you seem to be doing. Be confident, don't talk out your ass, don't try to tell them what you think they want to hear, and just be sincere and honest.

And add yourself to the freaking interview invite thread already, and then go own it.

I believe they accept about 50% of those interviewed. I was at an open house there this past weekend and that was the number they quoted. Good luck!

I just got the call from Bea that they want me for an interview. I hope this time around is the one. I'm a little nervous about if they ask me about my MCAT score.... I know it's not all about numbers but I don't want to be let down like last year.

I heard that 75% of interviewees get offers (I saw it on the chart somewhere on the forum) is this true?

Great job scdocusc! Congrats on the interview! My only advice is to RELAX!! You can't do anything about your MCAT now but if you go in there all stiff and uptight, it will NOT go over well! I have friends that go there and I interviewed there in Sept and trust me....relax and be yourself! They like it a lot when your interests are similar to the school's mission. For example, I have done international medical work and they have a big international missions program. Pick something like that and bring it up in your interviews. That is just my advice. I got accepted so I must have done something right! Best of luck!

In my OPINION, I think once you get the interview, it is about your personality and the type of person you are. Once you get an interview, they know you can do the work. They want to know that you will fit in at their institution. My recommendation is to emphasize your characteristics that work well at the school.

The last comment was true. When i went for my interview last year they said the hard part is almost over after you receive an interview. Of course you still have to do well (not sure how many ppl who interview get accepted) but you want to put your best foot forward. When you come to the interview they already know who you are on paper, they just want to see who you really are in person. Be yourself. Good preparation may be looking at the interview blog up here on sdn or if you're like me i practiced w/ friends and just realax! Good luck

hey guys, u r all asking very good questions.....I was in your shoes last year and I followed what Natatiap said..

I would also check with the Class of 2011 class thread...it has lots of useful information....

As of now, for you who are accepted, enjoy ur senior year in college or whatever u r doing....dont burn urself out yet....u will need that fuel at vcom....chillax...

and dont worry about the interviews....they are RELAXING....dont come in the morning and be shaking.....just lean back and be comfortable...they dont like to see nervous people....just put on ur cool face and enjoy....its a pretty awesome day...I had fun....

Plus u will love Megan...she smoothes everything out.

How long didi it take you to receive a secondary after your AACOMAS was complete? I designated the school at the beginning of the September, received secondary from all other schools, already have 4 interview invites, but have not heard anything from VCOM. I called them and they said it may take another month to hear back from them. Is this typical, or they just did not like something about my application? My MCAT is crappy, but my GPA is very good. Do they give preference to Virginia residents? Thanks for the reply.

sexyman- to answer your question about my MCAT. Yes I am applying with it. I've done a lot of other things in the time off though. Congrats on the admission!!! I interview this upcomming week so I'm hoping for the best this time around! I hope that this means I've beat the numbers game mostly.

sexyman- to answer your question about my MCAT. Yes I am applying with it. I've done a lot of other things in the time off though. Congrats on the admission!!! I interview this upcomming week so I'm hoping for the best this time around! I hope that this means I've beat the numbers game mostly.

Congrats on the interview, and good luck to you!:luck:

How long didi it take you to receive a secondary after your AACOMAS was complete? I designated the school at the beginning of the September, received secondary from all other schools, already have 4 interview invites, but have not heard anything from VCOM. I called them and they said it may take another month to hear back from them. Is this typical, or they just did not like something about my application? My MCAT is crappy, but my GPA is very good. Do they give preference to Virginia residents? Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering the same thing as my situation is fairly similar.

For those that have been accepted.

They ask for a bunch of forms and things to be sent in by December 15th. BUt they haven't loaded the forms to be filled out onto the website....it is really annoying me. Also, how do you access your e-mail account after you send the deposit in?

Congrats to the acceptances! I sent in my secondary Oct 3rd, interviewed Oct 8th, accepted Oct 11th! I'm going to VCOM!!

I've created the facebook group "VCOM- Class of 2012" ;) Everyone that got accepted please join!!!

CONGRATS! I thought I had a fast turnaround before I saw yours. I will see ya in august!

Do anybody know if the last 120 credit hours VCOM looks at can include graduate grades for a masters degree?

Do anybody know if the last 120 credit hours VCOM looks at can include graduate grades for a masters degree?

I believe the 120 credit hours on their website was included to emphasize the GPA calculation. So in terms of GPA calculation they will consider your graduate courses in addition to your undergrad courses in the science and overall GPA. They will definitely consider your GPA from the masters program since those grades are the most recent.

Also, if you are in the masters program you probably have >120 credits which is probably beneficial in case you did horrible during your freshmen year in undergrad...VCOM will overlook your freshmen grades if they see improvement... The downside is, if you received a horrible GPA in your masters program then that may work against you. If you cannot do well in your graduate science courses then how well are you going to do your first year as a medical student??

I hope this helps... Good luck!

-------------------
VCOM 2012

Hey guys, good to meet you all at the interview today (10/30). It was fun and I'm looking forward to November 8th! I'm so glad they gave us a definite date like that.

Could anybody tell me how much walking there is on VCOM interview day? If there's a lot, I may need to get more comfortable heels :p Thanks!

there is fair amount of walking up stairs and around the building. I wouldnt wear heel's you will trip in.

Could anybody tell me how much walking there is on VCOM interview day? If there's a lot, I may need to get more comfortable heels :p Thanks!
i think shoes should be the least of your worries...lol.. but if you must know.. we were sitting down most of the time, i.e. presentation and interviews. The most that we walked was during the tour of only one building which is where our lecture hall will be, OMM classroom, and anatomy lab, but then again that was only one building. The rest of the tour will include downtown Blacksburg and surrounding apartment complexes, but we were in a van the whole time. Hope your feet won't be hurting :)

i think shoes should be the least of your worries...lol.. but if you must know.. we were sitting down most of the time, i.e. presentation and interviews. The most that we walked was during the tour of only one building which is where our lecture hall will be, OMM classroom, and anatomy lab, but then again that was only one building. The rest of the tour will include downtown Blacksburg and surrounding apartment complexes, but we were in a van the whole time. Hope your feet won't be hurting :)

Actually at VCU, all I could think about was the blister on my heel. I didn't have time to stress about the interview :laugh: Thanks for your advice!

I received an interview at WVSOM pre-secondary, for Nov 12...coming from California, I only wanted to make the trip once, so I crossed my fingers and booked a longer trip hoping VCOM would work out. My DO LOR was the last item I needed to be complete...it was received on Friday 10/26. I received a call last Wednesday (Halloween!) from Bea, inviting me to interview!! And I was able to set it up for 11/13!! Just wanted to share my excitement - things like this NEVER usually work out for me!

Anyone else interviewing on 11/13?

Good luck to everyone, and congrats on the acceptances! :D

I received an interview at WVSOM pre-secondary, for Nov 12...coming from California, I only wanted to make the trip once, so I crossed my fingers and booked a longer trip hoping VCOM would work out. My DO LOR was the last item I needed to be complete...it was received on Friday 10/26. I received a call last Wednesday (Halloween!) from Bea, inviting me to interview!! And I was able to set it up for 11/13!! Just wanted to share my excitement - things like this NEVER usually work out for me!

Anyone else interviewing on 11/13?

Good luck to everyone, and congrats on the acceptances! :D

Hope your interview goes well and hope you choose VCOM! It is an awesome school and Blacksburg is definitely a great place!:D

guys I'm waiting to hear on thursday if I got in or not. I'm so Freaking nervous since I didnt get the call last year. I've been going over my interview in my head and keep picking things that I didnt say or should have said. Its killing me waiting so long. VCOM is my #1 choice so we'll see

Goodluck! I really hope you get the call!!

Got the interview on hold decision today... don't know what the problem is... 28 MCAT 3.4 GPA!

that makes me nervous. Did they tell you what was wrong? are you still taking classes?

Is there anyone else out there who is counting down the hours until they might call interviewees? I dont know how I'm gonna be able to stay on task at work whilst thinking about if I'm gonna see that 540 area code pop up on my phone.. I hope I at least get waitlisted instead of flat out rejected.

They didn't say anything except that I was on hold... I was actually kind of upset about it.

wait... have you had an interview or not? I assume you havent yet because then it wouldnt be called hold. dont worry if you are on hold. I was on hold because I was a reapplicant and they moved things quickly after I got off hold. Good luck. ITS ZERO HOUR BABY

I guess your not getting any sleep tonight scdocusc!

Just a quick reminder to all that get an interview.. Make sure you get each interviewer's business card and make sure you send a thank you e-mail within 24hrs since VCOM has a quick turnaround for calling back. They suggest you hand write a thank you note but there is really no time for you to do that since the committee meets in like 2-3 days.

Oh yea, good luck tomorrow scdocusc! Make sure you let us know, you are really an inspiration to all reapplicants and your drive towards medicine will definitely prove successful :D

Is there anyone else out there who is counting down the hours until they might call interviewees? I dont know how I'm gonna be able to stay on task at work whilst thinking about if I'm gonna see that 540 area code pop up on my phone.. I hope I at least get waitlisted instead of flat out rejected.

:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: Good luck today scdocusc!! I am rooting for you and anxiously awaiting your acceptance post!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Good luck today too... make sure you tell them that I want an interview!

I interviewed the 30th and am awaiting my call today. They said the committee meets today and they WILL call if you get accepted.... Please please call!