VCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what time the admissions office calls people????

Members don't see this ad.

I got my call shortly after 12:00 so they should be calling soon.

I dont know because I didnt get any call last year. I'm thinking it will be this afternoon between now and 5. Has anyone gotten a call yet? I've been keeping a distant eye on my phone waiting for that 540 area code to appear.

Members don't see this ad :)
That make me feel somewhat better.. I thought they would be doing it in the morning...

I hope not or I would be mucho sado. This wait is killing me. I'm trying to distract myself but can't

I agree! I kind of wish they didn't tell us what day they would be "making the calls" so I wouldn't be waiting for it! I wish everyone luck and congrats to those who got the call :)

I'M IN!!!!! Here I come, VCOM Class of 2012!!

Mr. King called me at 12:24 and let me know!

YESSS! It's my top choice school!!

I'm freakin nervous now. AHHHHHH

I'M IN!!!!! Here I come, VCOM Class of 2012!!

Mr. King called me at 12:24 and let me know!

YESSS! It's my top choice school!!

CONGRATS- I know how you feel. See you in August!

now I feel like crap... this really sucks

I know it doesn't mean much because this was a totally different day. But when I got the call about a month ago, it wasn't until around 4pm. You still have time!!

@ scdocusc It's not over yet.... just make sure you follow up with them soon if you don't hear from them. If you're on a wait list, make sure you get to the top of that thing. Also, remember that Bea told us not to worry if it was getting a little later in the day!

I think they probably do it by your interview day order and I interviewed on the 30th so I'm getting real nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we're all rooting for you. Dont give up girl, its not over yet. When I got my call last year it was later in the afternoon, near the time the office closed (i think 430). Be patient I think you'll get good news. Good luck to you all and congrats woo hoo. VCOM is awesome

I think they probably do it by your interview day order and I interviewed on the 30th so I'm getting real nervous.

My interview was the very first interview day. :) Still got the call around 4pm. Don't lose hope!

thanks for your kind words. Tideleon.. I think I sat next to you during the interview. Congrats. Still waiting... another hour another blank phone

I interviewed on the 31st and am waiting today as well. I turned off my phone so I'm not anticipating. I'll check my voicemail tonight.

thanks for your kind words. Tideleon.. I think I sat next to you during the interview. Congrats. Still waiting... another hour another blank phone
Yeah I thought that was you! VCOM's your #1, right?

scdocusc i really really hope you get that call! my fingers r crossed!! :)

thanks guys for your kind words. FLAT OUT REJECTED once again though. I cant believe it. I'm pretty mad seeing as this is my second time around at VCOM and they invited me back for an interview. Good luck to all you guys and gals. I'm really just lost for words trying to understand the logic behind all the crap I went through with VCOM.

Hey man keep your head up. 'There is no effort without error or shortcomings'. I believe it will make you a stronger person and a better doctor in the end. Do what you have to do- youll make it somewhere.

I'm sorry to hear that, I was rooting for a fellow environmental chemist. Don't give up hope, the season's not even close to over. :)

I'm so sorry you didn't get in. :( Getting rejected is never a good feeling. You still have a good shot for this year though so all hope is not lost. It's hard to look on the bright side now but I agree with sexyman that this will make you stronger in the end. We're all pulling for you here so best of luck with the rest of the process!

Congrats to those who have been accepted...

Good luck to those who are still waiting...

I am so sorry to those who were rejected. I would suggest you call VCOM and ask if they can go over your application and give you some insight into why you were rejected so that perhapes you can work on improving those areas if you decide to apply again.

Welcome to our VCOM family!!!

sdocusc: unless there's something serious that you didn't put on your mdapps, like you killed a bunch of people or something, you are just a few points on the mcat, and maybe a re-take of that C-, away from being competitive anywhere.

sdocusc: unless there's something serious that you didn't put on your mdapps, like you killed a bunch of people or something, you are just a few points on the mcat, and maybe a re-take of that C-, away from being competitive anywhere.

I agree, but isn't that more of what holds you back from getting interviews in the first place? scdoc I'm so sorry you weren't accepted this year, especially after what happened last year. You definitely have a chance to get in this year especially with your LECOM-Erie interview coming up! :luck:

Anyone annoyed that all of the forms to be submitted by December 14th still aren't on the VCOM website yet???

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/2012/

The only thing that is due by December 14 is the $1200 deposit sent to VCOM and the $67.50 Background Check (money sent to the company, not VCOM). By mid December they should start posting other required documents to be sent to them. Right now we just have to be patient... if you want to know what's to come in the near future you can actually go to vcom's 2011 website and get a sneak peak at http://www.vcom.vt.edu/2011

Ok, I have gotten two calls now from Bea asking me if I had received my secondary. She said they are very excited about looking it over which leads me to believe that they are interested in me. I have been having to wait to send it in because of the fee, but I got paid this past Thursday and will be sending it out first thing next week. I had an interview at DCOM, and was really, really impressed, and should hear something back this week, but VCOM is probably the top school that I want to go to. So I am kind of getting nervous about everything.

Do I have the right feeling about VCOM being excited about me, or are they that way to everyone?

I have actually heard quite a few stories about VCOM egging on candidates, and of those they invite to interview, they have already decided which ones they are going to offer admission and which ones they aren´t. so don´t feel too bad scdoc, i didn´t get in either, but I´m pretty convinced I´ll make a better student elsewhere, and so will you. good luck.

What kind of turn around time have you guys been experiencing between the submission of the secondary and VCOM getting in touch with you to either schedule an interview or say you are on the preinterview hold list (or whatever)?

What kind of turn around time have you guys been experiencing between the submission of the secondary and VCOM getting in touch with you to either schedule an interview or say you are on the preinterview hold list (or whatever)?

After I submitted my secondary I heard about 2-3 weeks later, about getting an interview. After my interview I heard about 8 days later that I was accepted.

I sent in my secondary Oct 3rd, interviewed Oct 8th, accepted Oct 11th. Bea and Megan both bring an ecstatic attitude to VCOM. It's funny because they are like that all the time!! And for some people it's actually hard to believe that they are not putting up a show but are like that in real life 24/7 lol.. I sure made my choice after the interview to go there, I hope you will too. Good Luck!

Its funny you say that. I was just about to ask if Megan was always as ecstatic about everyting as she has been on the phone with me. She really seems to make things awesome. Im super pumped about hearing something, but I think its gonna be a little longer than normal because of the Thanksgiving holidays. Im pretty pumped about VCOM, I've always wanted to be in Blacksburg.

One quick question for those that have interviewed, or that might know. Are the 3rd and 4th year rotations spread out around the state and you have to move every month or so, or do you have a central town or location that you basically rotate around?

Megan and Bea are like that all the time. They are really as awesome as they seem!!!:thumbup:

As to rotations, you can be stationed in a certain area or chose to move around. WE have some classmates in Cali, Ok, Penn, Tenn, NJ, NY, etc and also around here in Bburg, Roanoke, Radford, Norton, Front Royal, etc.. You may go somewhere for 6 months and then somewhere else for the remaining months. It all depends. I have kids so I chose this area and wrote a special circumstance request to stay here. I did chose in this MSIV year to go a few places away.

Megan is truly the best!!! they are both always optimistic and smiling all the time....and i mean it....all the time...at my interview last year--> i was like she must be faking it to get me to go here!!! but right now i see them in the hallway and they are still the same people with the same nice attitude and dealings they were when i was at the interview!!!

I AM SO Happy to be here at VCOM....I really never felt this much happy before. I made a great decision coming here....and you wont regret it too!! VCOM's students at rotations are doing much better than UVA students and the other med schools in VA. Program directors came to blacksburg last week from several places throughout VA to and they love VCOM students... Good luck guys!! God bless y'all

So I was reading another thread.. and was wondering what the OMM class at VCOM is like... do they make the students take off some of their clothes??? Like women in sports bras and shorts and men shirtless???

Well the men wear a speedo and the women wear a one peice bathing suit. They then oil themselves up with baby oil in order to make somatic dysfunction easier to diagnose.

ha

Um well there are a bunch of smaller rooms instead of one large OMM room at VCOM. And 2 faculty members are present in each room at all times I believe. I would estimate around 10 tables per room (a real student correct me). The OMM lecture is broadcasted through video/audio feed into all of the other rooms as it takes place.

So I was reading another thread.. and was wondering what the OMM class at VCOM is like... do they make the students take off some of their clothes??? Like women in sports bras and shorts and men shirtless???

I never wore a sports bra.. I could have made people blind doing that:scared:
A number of the girls that felt comfortable wearing them, did wear them, but it was not a requirement. A bunch of the guys would take off their shirts as well. Most people would wear shorts and T-shirts or sweats and Tshirts.

I never wore a sports bra.. I could have made people blind doing that:scared:
A number of the girls that felt comfortable wearing them, did wear them, but it was not a requirement. A bunch of the guys would take off their shirts as well. Most people would wear shorts and T-shirts or sweats and Tshirts.

YAY .. thanks!

A bunch of the guys would take off their shirts as well.

I think I would feel awkward volunteering to take my shirt off...

thats my point lol

I mean I would feel like I am taking my shirt off just to show everyone how sexy I am...

I would have no problem if it were required haha

I recieved an email from VCOM today saying they reviewed my file, they are not granting me an interview but will place my file on hold and review again at a later time. Do I still have a chance or is this a nice rejection? Anyone else in this situation?

I interviewed earlier this week at VCOM. Megan told us they would call yesterday. I have not heard anything yet. Just wondering if anyone else has heard. Thanks.

I recieved an email from VCOM today saying they reviewed my file, they are not granting me an interview but will place my file on hold and review again at a later time. Do I still have a chance or is this a nice rejection? Anyone else in this situation?

If it was a rejection, they would have said it was a rejection. There is still time to be re-reviewed. So all is not lost yet. Good luck.

Yea! I will be joining the class of 2012!! I interviewed on Tuesday (13th) and heard yesterday at 11am (est). How's that for turnaround time?? Awesome! Just like Megan, Bea and the school as a whole! See you in August everyone!!!