VCOM folks are nice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just to say that the people at VCOM admissions have been very friendly and my wife and I are getting a great feeling about the school. They actually call you just to say that they are there to answer any questions. That is very cool, none of the other schools have done that. Any email questions I have had are quickly and politely answered. Now I just hope I get an interview!!
Anyone else have some positive experiences with their applied schools?

-Dan

Members don't see this ad.

That is definitely the truth. Out of all the schools that I interviewed with last year, VCOM by far has the nicest people. As a matter of fact, I liked them so much that I will be starting school there this August.

My wife and I visited there and we were so impressed. I had no intention of applying to VCOM until we visited. They have an excellent staff!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody heard of when they might start interviewing? They were my first secondary, and I have already scheduled interviews at two other schools.

I was interviewed on the very first day last year. The date was Sept 16th. I can only assume that it is going to be around the same time this year.

VCOM staff is a BIG reason I picked them over any of the other schools. I think they are fantastic. All the students I have met from class of 2007 and 2008 have been great as well.

Good luck to you all.

Amy B, what can you tell me about the rumor that they only send secondaries to those people they plan on interviewing? Is this true of VCOM is that why they take the time to call me, etc? I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but it sure would be great to have a chance to interview there. I wonder if you know about their third and fourth year rotation spots, etc?

-Daniel

dancote said:
Amy B, what can you tell me about the rumor that they only send secondaries to those people they plan on interviewing? Is this true of VCOM is that why they take the time to call me, etc? I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but it sure would be great to have a chance to interview there. I wonder if you know about their third and fourth year rotation spots, etc?

-Daniel

Schools send secondaries to applicants they are interested in. I doubt any medical school only send secondaries to the people they plan on interviewing. It wouldn't be a large net that they woudl cast to catch good applicants.

Consider receiving a secondary as just the first hurdle amongst many.

Remember, the hardest part about getting into medicine is just getting into medical school.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Schools send secondaries to applicants they are interested in. I doubt any medical school only send secondaries to the people they plan on interviewing. It wouldn't be a large net that they woudl cast to catch good applicants.

Remember, the hardest part about getting into medicine is just getting into medical school.

Q

VCOM does pre-screen before sending out secondaries. They make sure you meet minimal criteria. A lot of schools do this.

Some schools do actually only send secondaries to people they will interview. NYCOM does this. They send you the secondary along with your interview invite letter and you bring your filled out secondary with you to the interview. COMP kinda does this too. It all varies school to school.

That being said, CCOM also has a nice feature where they let you track your progress online right from the start, so you can see online whether they've received all your items and what your status is.

Hi,
The only school I know about that sends secondaries to only their interviewees is WVSOM. They set up your interview and then send you a secondary. So I don't really know anything about the rumor you speak of. I do know that they really look at those applying and if you get a secondary, it is a sure thing that they want to seriously evaluate you for possible interview. They aren't like some schools that send you a secondary and then turn around and reject you quickly. I do know some schools seem to use secondaries as a money maker. VCOM isn't like that. Hope that answered your question.

I did like the personal touch of the phone call to see if I had any questions. That was a nice touch. I would say.... send in your secondary and keep your fingers crossed. I know, it is really hard not to get your hopes up during this long process. It can drive a person crazy. Hang in there.

As to 3rd and 4th year rotations. All I know is what is in their handbook and the list of the rotation places are.....
Core Hospital Sites

? ALLEGHENY REGIONAL HOSPITAL
? BLUEFIELD REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
? BUCHANAN GENERAL HOSPITAL
? CARILION GILES HOSPITAL
? CLINCH VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER
? DANVILLE REGIONAL HEALTH SYSTEM
? LEWIS GALE MEDICAL CENTER
? MONTGOMERY REGIONAL HOSPITAL
? NORTON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL
? PULASKI COMMUNITY HOSPITAL
? RUSSELL COUNTY HOSPITAL
? SALEM VETERANS MEDICAL CENTER
? WYTHE COUNTY COMMUNITY HOSPITAL

Affiliated Hospitals and
Sites for Select Rotations

? BATH COUNTY HOSPITAL
? BLACKSTONE AND HANOVER VCU FAMILY PRACTICE RESIDENCIES
? GILES COUNTY HOSPITAL
? CARILION FAMILY PRACTICE RESIDENCY

Did you have a specific question about the rotation sites?

Good luck to all who are applying there. If you get an interview, let me know what day and I will try and come in and say hello.

QuinnNSU said:

Q

I don't quite agree that getting a secondary is the first "hurdle". Pretty much everyone gets a secondary, and the min criteria tends to be so low that practically everyone who applies will get one. (2.75GPA for many of the schools)

While it is very exciting for me to be getting secondaries, I have to keep reminding myself that they don't really mean a whole lot.

A couple of PCSOM students and I went to the A.T. Still Park for a cleanup project with some class of 2007 students from VCOM this past Friday. These guys were great. Sean Martin, the SOMA president, was a really great guy. I remember first names, but not last names. I think there was a Jennifer, Jerome, Kingsley, Beth, and a guy named Boba.

We are lucky to have some wonderful class of 2007's in front of us. These guys are extremely helpful. They really liked attending VCOM. Anyway, good luck to you all in your first year and those of you whom are applying.

ACE

I have not received a secondary from VCAM yet. I got them from almost all the other schools I applied to. I am getting concerned. Should I just fill it out from online, since it is posted and avaliable, and mail it in?

medic170 said:
I have not received a secondary from VCAM yet. I got them from almost all the other schools I applied to. I am getting concerned. Should I just fill it out from online, since it is posted and avaliable, and mail it in?

Since it is online, I would suggest you go and fill it out and have it ready in case you hear from VCOM. Then it will be ready to send to them without delay. Don't send a secondary in until you hear from the school. That would not be consider the proper thing to do and may kill your chances at a school. Wait to hear from them, but have everything ready to go.

It is so early in the application cycyle. Really, you all have lots of time. Don't start worrying this early.

Amy B said:
Since it is online, I would suggest you go and fill it out and have it ready in case you hear from VCOM. Then it will be ready to send to them without delay. Don't send a secondary in until you hear from the school. That would not be consider the proper thing to do and may kill your chances at a school. Wait to hear from them, but have everything ready to go.

It is so early in the application cycyle. Really, you all have lots of time. Don't start worrying this early.

yeah. I was just concerned because it seems like everyone else has got their secondary from VCOM, and I applied early, got several secondaries, but no VCOM. I don't know why I would not get an invite, I am well above the cutoffs. Anyone else not get one from VCOM yet?

I am still waiting on PCSOM, UNECOM, and Des Moines too. I got everyone else's already. ANyone waiting on these still?

I have learned from going through this process twice.......aside from rejections, the hardest thing is the WAITING, and WAITING, and WAITING and WAITING.....................................................

I am still waiting on UNECOM but I have started filling it out online anyway in anticipation of just hitting submit when they ask for it.

Nate said:
I am still waiting on UNECOM but I have started filling it out online anyway in anticipation of just hitting submit when they ask for it.

I did not see the UNECOM secondary online. Do you have the URL? Thanks.