VCOM Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Beardface

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been accepted by VCOM and told they had to take an additional two 3oo or above level science classes? I already graduated from undergrad and am confused as to why I have to take more classes because I have been accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been accepted by VCOM and told they had to take an additional two 3oo or above level science classes? I already graduated from undergrad and am confused as to why I have to take more classes because I have been accepted.

From the admissions requirements page on their website:

"The required undergraduate courses for entry are:
  • Biological Sciences: One year with laboratory (8 credit hours/12 quarter hours)
  • Physics: (6 to 8 credit hours)
  • General or Inorganic Chemistry:(6 to 8 credit hours)
  • Organic Chemistry: (6 to 8 credit hours)
  • English: (6 credit hours)
  • A requirement for 6 additional biomedical science credit hours at the 300 level or above is required for matriculation (Faculty recommend courses inAnatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, or Genetics to enhance the student’s success in medical school)."
They will accept you without them, but it is a condition that must be met for matriculation.

From the admissions requirements page on their website:

"The required undergraduate courses for entry are:
  • Biological Sciences: One year with laboratory (8 credit hours/12 quarter hours)
  • Physics: (6 to 8 credit hours)
  • General or Inorganic Chemistry:(6 to 8 credit hours)
  • Organic Chemistry: (6 to 8 credit hours)
  • English: (6 credit hours)
  • A requirement for 6 additional biomedical science credit hours at the 300 level or above is required for matriculation (Faculty recommend courses inAnatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, or Genetics to enhance the student’s success in medical school)."
They will accept you without them, but it is a condition that must be met for matriculation.
I mean I have taken the necessary classes but they told me I have to take additional ones for some reason even though I have already been accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have the additional 6 hours of upper level science courses already and they are still requiring more?

You have the additional 6 hours of upper level science courses already and they are still requiring more?
Yea. Which I think is the strange part. I keep hinting at them I graduated already but they said I still need to take them. I really liked the school so I'm going to suck it up if I need to take them but I think it would just be redundant.

Were they 3000 and above though? What were the classes exactly?

What if you have taken, say, genetics, microbiology, anatomy, etc. but they are listed as 200-level courses at your school? Does that not count?

If you already met the requirement then you don't have to take more. Ask them to look at your transcript and ask them why that doesn't count. Then they will apologize for missing it and tell you to chillax until school starts.

What if you have taken, say, genetics, microbiology, anatomy, etc. but they are listed as 200-level courses at your school? Does that not count?

It says 300 level or above. That seems pretty black and white to me.

Reactions: 1 user
It says 300 level or above. That seems pretty black and white to me.

I think the question should be why label it as a 300 level class? Most schools are different in their number system. It would be more black and white if they just said upper level biomedical classes such as anatomy, etc., etc.

I think the question should be why label it as a 300 level class? Most schools are different in their number system. It would be more black and white if they just said upper level biomedical classes such as anatomy, etc., etc.
Yeah I get that they want courses labeled as 300-level or above but my school that I did post-bac at offers anatomy, genetics, & micro at a 200-level but not above 300. If it is as simple as having a 300-level bio, I can take fire ecology or Ichthyology to satisfy the 300 -level course requirement.

Yeah I get that they want courses labeled as 300-level or above but my school that I did post-bac at offers anatomy, genetics, & micro at a 200-level but not above 300. If it is as simple as having a 300-level bio, I can take fire ecology or Ichthyology to satisfy the 300 -level course requirement.
Yea I think it has to be 300 or above. When I compiled a list of courses and sent it to VCOM to see which ones I could take to fulfill those 2 contingency classes, they crossed off the ones that were not 300 (like anatomy, etc).

If you already met the requirement then you don't have to take more. Ask them to look at your transcript and ask them why that doesn't count. Then they will apologize for missing it and tell you to chillax until school starts.
I have been trying to get them to look back at my file because I was thinking they forgot I graduated. But when I talked to admissions they told me that when the committee met they decided that they would accept but because my mcat was crappy, they wanted me to take 2 more upper level classes to show that I know what I am doing. They basically told me that my GPA, application and interview were perfect but my mcat was sucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were they 3000 and above though? What were the classes exactly?
In undergrad, the 300 and above biology classes I took where cell and molecular bio and biochem. The two other classes that VCOM wants me to take are like a contingency for my acceptance because my mcat was low

Yea I think it has to be 300 or above. When I compiled a list of courses and sent it to VCOM to see which ones I could take to fulfill those 2 contingency classes, they crossed off the ones that were not 300 (like anatomy, etc).
Ahh I see. I suppose they are pretty black and white on the 300-level courses.

In undergrad, the 300 and above biology classes I took where cell and molecular bio and biochem. The two other classes that VCOM wants me to take are like a contingency for my acceptance because my mcat was low
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

It would be more black and white if they just said upper level biomedical classes such as anatomy, etc., etc.
They did say that. At my school I took two anatomy courses; zoo 250 and z00 490. Zoo 490 is an upper level class, zoo 250 is a sophomore level class. It doesn't matter if you're taking a neurosurgery class, if the course number is below 300, it is a lower level class. Universities know what they're doing when they assign numbers to these courses.

They did say that. At my school I took two anatomy courses; zoo 250 and z00 490. Zoo 490 is an upper level class, zoo 250 is a sophomore level class. It doesn't matter if you're taking a neurosurgery class, if the course number is below 300, it is a lower level class. Universities know what they're doing when they assign numbers to these courses.

Really? I feel like it's really arbitrary especially given that the material is essentially set by academic administrations like Society of Micro's guidance. It's why a lot of courses do transfer to other schools and they don't mind you using them even if it's a prerequisite for other courses.

Really? I feel like it's really arbitrary especially given that the material is essentially set by academic administrations like Society of Micro's guidance. It's why a lot of courses do transfer to other schools and they don't mind you using them even if it's a prerequisite for other courses.

You have a point, but we're not talking about transferring a class to another school. It's a medical school that gets probably >4000 applications annually. They don't have the time to analyze each application carefully enough to determine whether the applicant has sufficient upper level experience, so the hard and fast upper level requirement is a good fix.

And I can assure you that at my undergrad ( a run of the mill public school) has very good reasoning behind why genetics is a 300 level course here whereas microbiology is a 200 level course.

This is some what frustrating, as I have taken anatomy and physiology I and II, which were 204-206; they were pretty difficult to say the least. I've also taken microbiology which at my school got a puny 150? So In order to matriculate into VCOM, I would have to take genetics, zoology, and something else? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I'm just the lowly pre-med :)

Ahh I see. I suppose they are pretty black and white on the 300-level courses.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?
My MCAT was a 21 (not so good). I majored in experimental psychology and graduated with honors with a 3.7 cumulative GPA and a science GPA of 3.5. I also had a lot of community service, shadowing experiences, and some research. So my grades and application are perfect for most medical schools that I applied too. My interview also went very well and was told it really was my saving grace. I had no trouble with any of the questions and felt really comfortable talking with the people who were interviewing me. I decided to go D.O. because the more research I did on the field, the more I thought it aligned with my views of how medicine should be practiced. I also think D.O. schools have better insight into the qualities needed to be a great physician more than most medical schools do.

Reactions: 1 users
My undergrad institution offers both 200 and 300 level courses in Anatomy and Physiology and Microbiology. The difference for my school is that the 300 level courses are offered for premed and science majors, while the 200 level courses are offered for nursing, athletic training and other allied health professions. I think that's fairly typical, which I'd imagine is why they're form in the 300 level requirement. The content is the same, but the depth of the material is much deeper for the higher level.

My MCAT was a 21 (not so good). I majored in experimental psychology and graduated with honors with a 3.7 cumulative GPA and a science GPA of 3.5. I also had a lot of community service, shadowing experiences, and some research. So my grades and application are perfect for most medical schools that I applied too. My interview also went very well and was told it really was my saving grace. I had no trouble with any of the questions and felt really comfortable talking with the people who were interviewing me. I decided to go D.O. because the more research I did on the field, the more I thought it aligned with my views of how medicine should be practiced. I also think D.O. schools have better insight into the qualities needed to be a great physician more than most medical schools do.
VCOM is arguably one of the DO schools that are not number driven these days. I believe they really look at the totality of your application--not only GPAs and MCAT score. I got to look at my transcript again to see if I meet that 3000-4000 upper division science requirement since VCOM is my top choice since they are mission medicine oriented.

Last edited:
This is some what frustrating, as I have taken anatomy and physiology I and II, which were 204-206; they were pretty difficult to say the least. I've also taken microbiology which at my school got a puny 150? So In order to matriculate into VCOM, I would have to take genetics, zoology, and something else? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I'm just the lowly pre-med :)
Yea I really do not understand the whole numbering system because in order to take 300 and above anatomies, physiologies, etc, you have to take the prereq's which are lower numbered but still called "physiology" and they are still tough classes. I am still planning on going to VCOM but I was put in a pretty tough position finding these 2 classes to take. I have already graduated and live in a different state than my undergrad school. So I had to find classes in my home state. I had to register as a non degree seeking student and had a late registration date and the enrolled students understandingly had priority when it came to registering. But I got lucky and am taking a genetics class at NC State and microbiology online through the University of New England.

Does your acceptance letter say that?

Yes. But when they called they told me that I was not the only one that had to do this.
That is a small price to pay for an acceptance at VCOM IMO... I hope to join the VCOM family soon... GL

Yes i would agree the the above stated, I would love to get an acceptance letter with the only contingency being that I had to make B's in a few more classes. Good luck with everything man, let us know how it goes!

Anyone know if this school has IS bias at all?

Anyone know if this school has IS bias at all?
They're biased toward Appalachian states but I'm from a metro area in Ohio and I still got an offer from VA campus so if you're interested you've got a shot.

They're biased toward Appalachian states but I'm from a metro area in Ohio and I still got an offer from VA campus so if you're interested you've got a shot.
Congratulations! Do you plan to attend VCOM?

They consider Ohio as an Appalachian state though. About 86% of students are from their list of Appalachian states

They consider Ohio as an Appalachian state though. About 86% of students are from their list of Appalachian states
You're correct but I understand that they look at what county you live in, and the part of the state I live in is definitely not Appalachian. I could be wrong about that, but I think anyone has a shot at VCOM even though there is a preference.

You're correct but I understand that they look at what county you live in, and the part of the state I live in is definitely not Appalachian. I could be wrong about that, but I think anyone has a shot at VCOM even though there is a preference.

While I live in VA, I definately do not fall into the region shown in this map (if you google Appalachian region the images look practically the same):
http://www.diner23.com/images/appalachia.gif

did you fall in this general region??

Nope, like I said, I definitely am not in an Appalachian area and I do not live within the shaded region.

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats?? did you have anything on your app that really stood out? PM if you don't feel comfortable posting here!

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats?? did you have anything on your app that really stood out? PM if you don't feel comfortable posting here!
3.3/3.3/29... Career firefighter/paramedic making a career change.

3.3/3.3/29... Career firefighter/paramedic making a career change.

oh wow, thats a really high MCAT + good credentials...no surprise you got an acceptance. You had a DO LOR correct?

Last edited:
oh wow, thats a really high MCAT + good credentials...no surprise you got an acceptance. You had a DO LOR correct?
Thanks. And yeah, I did have a DO letter.