VCOM students.. need info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lauviah84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about applying to VCOM .. can any students currently enrolled in their program give me some pros and cons??
thanks
Marie

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm a first year student and i would say that it depends on your learning style. At VCOM you take about 4 classes at a time and have numerous test during a block. And by block i mean that we are system based so you would have 8 weeks of Neuro and then those 4 classes (Physiology, OMM/PPC, Anatomy, CCC) for the block and the next 8 weeks could be Cardiovascular with the same 4 classes. And it's also a "year around school"...meaning that you really don't get a summer break but you get a week, and sometimes more, at the end of each block....which is usually 6-8 weeks long.
I love the school and the gross anatomy lab is the best, along with other technology. Also the Upper classmen are very helpful and no one, including the faculty and staff, want to see you fail. Tutoring and mentoring are avaliable from day one.
Some of the cons is the fact that it is a new school so there are some kinks that are being worked out as far as scheduling and teaching styles. For what i hear me being in the 3rd class for the school we are being better prepared for the boards which i can see because i swear after this neuro block i can become a neuro surgeon. I'm a shopper so i hate that we really don't have a big city to go to when we need to escape school...but football season is pretty fun. Oh...and there is only one copier at the school that the students can use...now i know that you think that's petty...but if you were a student you would understand how annoying it is.
If you have any other questions just shoot me an email [email protected]

I am VCOM 2010 and remember this 1st year telling me @ the interview day lunch that the brain is like a muscle. As true as it was, I could not stop thinking about that high tech anatomy lab and how the brain is a muscle . She was really nice, so dont think I am insulting the 2009 class. :laugh:

I should say that when thinking of any medical school, keep in mind the admissions parameters. I was told by the VCOM admissions director that they accepted 210 and matriculated 167 for 2009. This should tell you most people who get accepted choose VCOM. A very positive sign.

I was also accepted a couple other DO schools, including LECOM bradenton. When I asked them the same question, the answer was 450 accepted, 150 matriculate. I am NOT a LECOM basher, but that should tell you 66% of students accepted choose not to go there. I think the whole PBL idea is a LITTLE questionable.

In conclusion, I hope you, lauviah84, take a serious look @ VCOM. ;)