VCOM-VA vs WVSOM Some input would be nice :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cuongoff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, the last VCOM vs. WVSOM was in 2010 and it was short lived. I'm trying to decide between the two and would love to hear your opinions on it.

I've compiled a sort of pros and cons for the schools.

The thing is, I am currently interested in neurosurgery, and I know this will most likely change, but I would like to have the opportunity to be able to do it. Should I fixate on the neuro stuff?

VCOM- Cost- ~73K, deposit $1.5K
  • Pros- In VA, Near Tech, affiliated with many hospitals, COMLEX score 92% pass rate, free printing, textbooks in library
  • Cons- Newer, dress code, No neuroscience research, only 1 student matched into neurosurgery, no neurosurgical elective for 4th year,

WVSOM- Cost ~84K, deposit $2k
  • Pros- Older, 3 matched into neurosurgery (second highest, PCOM had 4), 21 (or 22) simulators, nice campus and expanding, has neurosurgery as a 4th year elective, when I was there they said there's new neurosurgical research that will be starting,
  • Cons- COMLEX 88% pass rate, location, have to buy textbooks, all of their hospital affiliations are in WV

I'm sure I am overlooking a lot of stuff. I want to choose a school that I wouldn't mind going to if I don't get into my state MD school.

Members don't see this ad.

VCOM limits what you can do during your electives? Also those costs seem pretty high, is that what you would be expecting to borrow or just the COA given?

IDK anything about these schools but am interested in VCOM, still waiting on a secondary. I'm sure you know about the neurosurgery residency affiliated with them which is a nice thing to have. I have to imagine you would be able to find some research relevant to neurosurgery given the opportunities at VCOM, VT, and Carilion. From a quick look at the website the research on concussions doesn't interest you at all?

Neurosurg huh. Good luck. Seems like wv is better if you're set on it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think both schools are good, I really liked VCOM, dont know much about WVSOM but given your interests and what youve stated, if I were in your shoes I would probably go with WVSOM due to experience in research and rotations which is pretty significant.

Have to say though, I find it contradictory that you are comparing the class pass rates of the COMLEX but also considering one of the most competitive specialities out there. You will have to rock the boards for neurosurg and so if you really are that calibar you shouldnt be too worried about whether the class pass rate is 88 or 92 percent. Do you get what I mean? Either way, best of luck to you, If I was brilliant Id do neurosurg myself haha

I think both schools are good, I really liked VCOM, dont know much about WVSOM but given your interests and what youve stated, if I were in your shoes I would probably go with WVSOM due to experience in research and rotations which is pretty significant.

Have to say though, I find it contradictory that you are comparing the class pass rates of the COMLEX but also considering one of the most competitive specialities out there. You will have to rock the boards for neurosurg and so if you really are that calibar you shouldnt be too worried about whether the class pass rate is 88 or 92 percent. Do you get what I mean? Either way, best of luck to you, If I was brilliant Id do neurosurg myself haha

Yup. Gonna have to kill boards.

Yea I checked their electives options and it wasn't listed as one. The prices listed are the estimated COA. I am not interested on the research in concussions- because it deals more with sports med and TBI. It's basic neuroscience research that's my interest.

VCOM limits what you can do during your electives? Also those costs seem pretty high, is that what you would be expecting to borrow or just the COA given?

IDK anything about these schools but am interested in VCOM, still waiting on a secondary. I'm sure you know about the neurosurgery residency affiliated with them which is a nice thing to have. I have to imagine you would be able to find some research relevant to neurosurgery given the opportunities at VCOM, VT, and Carilion. From a quick look at the website the research on concussions doesn't interest you at all?

Yea I just saw the COMLEX percentages and thought I would put them in. I understand that scores are based on individuals and how much you're willing to put in to destroy those boards.

Yup. Gonna have to kill boards.

Yea I checked their electives options and it wasn't listed as one. The prices listed are the estimated COA. I am not interested on the research in concussions- because it deals more with sports med and TBI. It's basic neuroscience research that's my interest.

Yea I just saw the COMLEX percentages and thought I would put them in. I understand that scores are based on individuals and how much you're willing to put in to destroy those boards.

You should be able to do your electives anywhere in the country. I'm sure you looked at a list that is just directly associated with vcom. On vsas, there are 97 neurosurgery electives across the US open to DO students.

Wvcom has its own neurosurgery residency, if you didn't know, but they only take 1 resident per year, and they don't seem to give a preference to wvcom students, http://www.carilionclinic.org/cs/Sa...on/eHA_Content_C/Carilion/Template/L05_Detail

I'd select your school based on other things besides neurosurgery. There were only 12 AOA neurosurgery residency spots offered last year..

Yea I found the info in a pdf on their website that listed the electives students are able to partake in 3rd and 4th years. So are you saying, even though VCOM doesn't state it, 3rd and 4th year students are able to do any electives that they can get into if they apply for it?

You should be able to do your electives anywhere in the country. I'm sure you looked at a list that is just directly associated with vcom. On vsas, there are 97 neurosurgery electives across the US open to DO students.

Wvcom has its own neurosurgery residency, if you didn't know, but they only take 1 resident per year, and they don't seem to give a preference to wvcom students, http://www.carilionclinic.org/cs/Sa...on/eHA_Content_C/Carilion/Template/L05_Detail

I'd select your school based on other things besides neurosurgery. There were only 12 AOA neurosurgery residency spots offered last year..

Yea I found the info in a pdf on their website that listed the electives students are able to partake in 3rd and 4th years. So are you saying, even though VCOM doesn't state it, 3rd and 4th year students are able to do any electives that they can get into if they apply for it?

I assume so. That's how it works for every other medical student in the US. Few places will take you as a 3rd year, though.

I'll call them to make sure. This makes things much easier on me.

I assume so. That's how it works for every other medical student in the US. Few places will take you as a 3rd year, though.

And I don't think many schools let you leave their system as a M3 either.

Good to know I will have solid competition for the NS residency at Carilion in 4 years...

Before you make any decision you need to stop and think about where you will be happy. Neurosurgery is extremely tough to get into, if you even still want to get into it later. The added stress of being someplace that you don't enjoy will only make it that much harder for you to excel.

That said - I'm a current MS1 at VCOM-VA. I can say that I have heard lots and lots of people say that VCOM-VA has one of the very nicest anatomy labs anywhere. The windows and bright lights go a long way towards keeping your spirits lifted with the hours and hours you will spend in there hunched over your cadaver. And if you intend to go into NS... you are going to want to make sure you like doing that even before you get into your OR rotations.

Also, I'm not positive how the rotations work yet since I'm just making sure I make it that far, but considering VCOM's close affiliation with Carilion, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to do a NS rotation there. They are constantly looking for new places to set up rotations, and so if you email the clinical rotation coordinator he may be able to help you more than I can.

Also, Carilion just opened up a new MD school 2-3 years ago in association with VT, called VTC. They are very big into neuroscience research there, especially using things like fMRI. I am not sure if VCOM students would have any opportunity to get on board with something there but it is an avenue to explore further.

The windows and bright lights go a long way towards keeping your spirits lifted with the hours and hours you will spend in there hunched over your cadaver.

:thumbup:

i don't like rooms without windows

Also, Carilion just opened up a new MD school 2-3 years ago in association with VT, called VTC. They are very big into neuroscience research there, especially using things like fMRI. I am not sure if VCOM students would have any opportunity to get on board with something there but it is an avenue to explore further.

That's what I was getting at. There must be available research for those interested somewhere. With the shared VT affiliation, shared Carilion hospital and residencies, and their very small class size I highly doubt they would object to take an interested student. Especially a student from a program with so many similarities. Granted it's a bit of a commute...

I loved WVSOM so much. The community, the school, the simulators, the students. I felt like I'd fit right in there. But I also want to practice FM. That said, one of my friends goes to VCOM and she LOVES it. She's very much interested in doing overseas medicine and it seems like VCOM is open to expending the borders, so they might help you out more in getting into Neuroscience, even though WVSOM is more experienced with it. Your call though, but lemme know what you decide. I'd love to know one person when I get on campus in the fall.

I normally try to not comment on these threads but I would strongly recommend you to not make your decision based upon which school you percieve offers you a better chance of matching into a particular specialty. I can assure you both of the school you listed will offer you equal liklihood of matching into neurosurgery if that's the specialty you want to go in to.

Just called clinical affairs and spoke with Kelly. She is extremely nice and very helpful. You guys are right. We can do neurosurgery as an elective as a 4th year almost anywhere.

I tried calling their research offices but nobody is picking up. I tried like 4 different numbers.

Yea that's not really much of a factor anymore. The biggest thing now is research. I like them both enough but if I can do neuro research at VCOM, I think I will go here (considering being in VA is HUGE for me.)

I normally try to not comment on these threads but I would strongly recommend you to not make your decision based upon which school you percieve offers you a better chance of matching into a particular specialty. I can assure you both of the school you listed will offer you equal liklihood of matching into neurosurgery if that's the specialty you want to go in to.

If anyone cares, I think I've chosen VCOM. Time to break the bad news to WVSOM.