VCOM-Virginia vs KCU COM (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainZeki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall! Need some input on which school to select. I am blessed to be able to narrow down my acceptances to these two. Please note that I am WL at an IS MD school. If I get into the MD school, then I am attending the MD school. However I do not want to lose my spot at a medical school, whether its DO or MD. So this is what I am working with. Also the nonrefundable deposit will kill my finances, especially if I am accepted into the MD school. But this is an investment!

VCOM Virginia Location
Pros
  • Block breaks; one week break after each block. Good for relaxing, traveling and to see family/friends.
  • Offers joint MPH degree with Virginia Tech which I am highly interested in (population health and community health education)
  • International Mission Trips
  • $46,500 tuition is cheaper than KCU COM; local cost of living is relatively cheap for being in a college town
  • Access to College football and Basketball games (Huge fan of college football) and the small town feel (Blacksburg)
  • Access to all of VTech gyms, libraries, resources, including research labs at a major university
  • Easy access to East Coast cities like DC, Philly, and NY to visit my extended family
  • Class size is about 180, still big but smaller than KCU

Cons
  • Shorter summer because of block breaks (roughly 4 weeks...is this good or bad?)
  • Mandatory attendance
  • Business casual dress code enforced
  • Exam schedule is brutal compared to KCUCOM.
  • Limited rotation sites for OMS-3
  • College town can be boring and mundane after time, esp when football season is over
  • Winters are brutal
  • Heard from current students that food scene is sub-par compared to other college towns
  • Does not offer any scholarships
  • No cafe on campus (mini student lounge)
  • Nearest airport is 2.5h away in Charlotte that flies to home for a cheap and quick flight (Roanoke regional airport is expensive and no direct flights)

KCU COM (Kansas City)
Pros
  • In a major city with easy access to sporting events, concerts
  • International Mission trips and Global Health Track, which I am interested in pursuing
  • One of the original 5 DO schools, reputable
  • Provides iPad to students
  • Will have new Center for Medical Education building by the time I matriculate
  • Great rotation sites for OMS-3 (sites across the nation instead of local areas only like VCOM-VA)
  • Food scene in Kansas City is great, nightlife options for the rare weekend that I am free
  • Easy access to get home with an airport and multiple, daily flights to home that are cheap
  • No mandatory attendance or dress code (not a deal breaker though)
Cons
  • Slightly more expensive at $48,910
  • No MPH joint degree
  • Not attached to a major institution
  • More expensive living options
  • Class size is big, its +200
  • Less breaks compared to VCOM but longer summer

BOTH schools have nearly 100% match rate and strong board scores. I believe KCU is slightly higher.
BOTH schools have a great SIM center and OMM Lab so facilities look great to me.

Summary: Stuck between which two I should choose. I think both are a great option but need help what should be the deciding factor. I can see myself at either campus and be happy.

Members don't see this ad.

why do you say that?

Well developed GME which is a humongous plus
Well established and well known program with a good track record
The previous 2 translates into competitive match around the country
Research opportunities in KC
No mandatory attendance is also a huge plus.
No dress code is another.

Edit: realized it was cheaper than VCOM, but not by much anyway

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well developed GME which is a humongous plus
Well established and well known program with a good track record
The previous 2 translates into competitive match around the country
Research opportunities in KC
No mandatory attendance is also a huge plus.
No dress code is another.

Edit: realized it was cheaper than VCOM, but not by much anyway
Ok thank you for the input.
Hoping others can provide their input as well

KCU for sure based on your pros and cons. I would be concerned with VCOM because of a limited rotation sites for OMS-3, and a brutal exam schedule is going to make your life during medical school even harder.

For VCOM, these seem like substantial cons:
  • Mandatory attendance
  • Business casual dress code enforced
  • Exam schedule is brutal compared to KCUCOM.
  • Limited rotation sites for OMS-3
  • Nearest airport is 2.5h away in Charlotte that flies to home for a cheap and quick flight (Roanoke regional airport is expensive and no direct flights)
KCU is also a very well known school and has great match lists every year

Update: I selected KCU and I am happy to be attending there next year!
Thank you all for the input!

Reactions: 1 user