VCOM vs. LMU-DCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docman85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are my top two choices (I have been accepted to DCOM, have interview at VCOM in Dec.) What is everyone's opinion of these two?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

These are my top two choices (I have been accepted to DCOM, have interview at VCOM in Dec.) What is everyone's opinion of these two?!?!

I attend VCOM and I would tell you that VCOM is more established with better facilities that DCOM.....u will see the difference when you get to the interview!!! we have a lot of TN residents that turned DCOM down for VCOM...

read up on the other threads!! u will gain alot of information...

and if accepted to VCOM, dont think alot, b/c honestly, i wouldnt compare these two schools! our VCOM rotations are far superior, Simulation hospital, new Research buildings are being built, and much more...

let me put it this way, I turned down PCOM and WVSOM for VCOM!

I attend VCOM and I would tell you that VCOM is more established with better facilities that DCOM.....u will see the difference when you get to the interview!!! we have a lot of TN residents that turned DCOM down for VCOM...

read up on the other threads!! u will gain alot of information...

and if accepted to VCOM, dont think alot, b/c honestly, i wouldnt compare these two schools! our VCOM rotations are far superior, Simulation hospital, new Research buildings are being built, and much more...

let me put it this way, I turned down PCOM and WVSOM for VCOM!

They just announced DCOM's rotation sites yesterday so how do you know anything about them?? And DCOM and their rotation sites are new, but in my opinion, they aren't going to do anything that isn't top notch. You can tell that when you go to the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
They just announced DCOM's rotation sites yesterday so how do you know anything about them?? And DCOM and their rotation sites are new, but in my opinion, they aren't going to do anything that isn't top notch. You can tell that when you go to the interview.

I have three friends who attend DCOM and they told me about the sites....they sound pretty solid...but my main point is, when VCOM started out, their sites were ok, but now they added better sites, took bad ones out, and made the core rotations a whole lot better. I think that latter classes, like mine, will benefit tremendously from the trial of certain rotations that previous classes went through....dont be the guinea pig at the new schools. VCOM, despite being new, has graduated multiple classes, great match residencies, more solid rotations, and our new curriculum is bad ass (according to current 1st yrs).

I have nothing against DCOM....i am sure it will flourish and be a great school like VCOM, but I wouldnt be one of the first classes that goes through it and having the trial and error experiement on me.

Blacksburg, VA is a great place to live in, especially VT Hokie community and all the pluses u get with being a student with VT/VCOM. Its affordable, its more alive than Harrogate, TN (in my own opinion; otherwise may say not).

It really depends on you. You choose wherever u r comfortable with. But believe me, with VCOM, u wont regret ur choice....

Thanks guys

Docman, when is the interview? I just got the call and scheduled mine for Dec. 15th. Good luck with everything man!

My interview is Dec 9, I am staying with a friend of mine who is in the class of 2012 and he loves it there and wants me to come up there. The only sucky part is my matriculation fee is due to DCOM on Dec 14 ($2000)

Oh yea and nice name (my name is Caleb also)

This will help with my deposit as I will find out on the 11 if accepted/rejected/waitlisted

Last edited:
My interview is Dec 16, I am staying with a friend of mine who is in the class of 2012 and he loves it there and wants me to come up there. The only sucky part is my matriculation fee is due to DCOM on Dec 14 ($2000)

Oh yea and nice name (my name is Caleb also)
Im in the same position, my $2000 dollar fee is also due at WVSOM the 14th. Even though it sucks, at least I know I will be going somewhere next year and if I get into VCOM it will just be an added bonus.

oh did i forget to mention that VCOM has its own residency programs setup here in Montgomery regional Hosptial and nearby hospitals.

We have FM, IM, Dermatology (next yr starting applicants), Surgery (has been funded and will be starting next yrs), Sports Medicine fellowship, Geriatrics fellowships, Vascular Surgery fellowship (has been funded and will be accepting applicants for 2009-2010), and believe me, they are working on creating an EM residency!!! all these are VCOM's.
VCOM's vision is to create a spot of residency for at least each one of its students!!! and they are projecting this success by the year of 2011 or so!!

And I have been getting some information that as soon as they finish setting up all these residency spots for the students, they will start a dental school!!! so, VCOM's future is even brighter!!!! I love this school!!! enough said!

oh did i forget to mention that VCOM has its own residency programs setup here in Montgomery regional Hosptial and nearby hospitals.

We have FM, IM, Dermatology (next yr starting applicants), Surgery (has been funded and will be starting next yrs), Sports Medicine fellowship, Geriatrics fellowships, Vascular Surgery fellowship (has been funded and will be accepting applicants for 2009-2010), and believe me, they are working on creating an EM residency!!! all these are VCOM's.
VCOM's vision is to create a spot of residency for at least each one of its students!!! and they are projecting this success by the year of 2011 or so!!

And I have been getting some information that as soon as they finish setting up all these residency spots for the students, they will start a dental school!!! so, VCOM's future is even brighter!!!! I love this school!!! enough said!

Why dental school? Any shortage in Virginia? My neighborhood in New York as SIX dental offices for every ONE doctor's office. The market is completely over-saturated. I think big cities are bearing the brunt of the dental school growth. Unless VCOM recruits students that will practice in Virginia's rural communities and towns, most of these students will relocate to a big city and continue the trend.

I just don't see why DO schools try to open dental schools. That money could be used for something else.

VCOM sounds like a nice school though :thumbup:.

Why dental school? Any shortage in Virginia? My neighborhood in New York as SIX dental offices for every ONE doctor's office. The market is completely over-saturated. I think big cities are bearing the brunt of the dental school growth. Unless VCOM recruits students that will practice in Virginia's rural communities and towns, most of these students will relocate to a big city and continue the trend.

I just don't see why DO schools try to open dental schools. That money could be used for something else.

VCOM sounds like a nice school though :thumbup:.

ok let me put this way, there are only 2 orthodontists in this area and the next closest one is 55 miles away! at my home town, you have orthodonist lined up. There is a total of 14 dental offices in blacksburg/christianburg area...for a population for these combined towns, the ADA expects to have at least 23 dentists in order to serve such a population...we are definitely short, but i didnt hear anything about Dental shortage in the future! so i really dont know.

I know there are many dentists scattered everywhere, but i dont know what the aim is. If i were the administration, i would ask the applicants to sign a committment agreement of a certain number of yrs to serve in an underserved area! Just like OSU does! anyway, thank you andrextous; VCOM does ROCK! :thumbup:

You can't really judge the amount of dentists versus doctors by offices. Nearly every dentist I know is in a solo practice or maybe have one other partner. Many many medical offices have multiple in house physicians, or simply work at the hospital.

I see dentist offices all over the place around here, yet the only way I can get an appointment within a 3 month span is if it is an emergency or I pull some strings. We also only had one orthodontist practice in my county where I grew up. There is a complete healthcare shortage in all areas. It is just hard to see sometimes. Doctors AND dentists are a plenty in the nice areas...

You can't really judge the amount of dentists versus doctors by offices. Nearly every dentist I know is in a solo practice or maybe have one other partner. Many many medical offices have multiple in house physicians, or simply work at the hospital.

I see dentist offices all over the place around here, yet the only way I can get an appointment within a 3 month span is if it is an emergency or I pull some strings. We also only had one orthodontist practice in my county where I grew up. There is a complete healthcare shortage in all areas. It is just hard to see sometimes. Doctors AND dentists are a plenty in the nice areas...

True. But there a LOTS of attractive incentives for doctors who want to practice in underserved or rural areas. You can have your entire tuition waived, get stipends, scholarships etc. I don't see that much incentives, compared to doctors, given to dentists to practice in small communities and underserved areas. So most relocate to greener pastures.

Also I think we should not confuse wait time with access. If a dentist in NYC tells me I have to wait 2 months to see him, all I have to do is to flip the phone book and find two more that are willing to see me in less than 48 hours. That's what I call access. This is a luxury that is not afforded to those in underserved/rural communities.

You are right about health care shortage. Physicians have a more acute problem that's why MD schools are looking to increase class size.
Dental schools can correct their problems by recruiting students willing to practice in rural communities and offer them incentives. No need to increase class size or build more schools......just re-channel the focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never been to VCOM, so I can't comment on it, but I am an OMS-II at DCOM, so I can give some info there.

You saw from your interview that DCOM's facilities are very good and I would put them against anyone. DCOM is one of the, if not the most, technological schools in the country. We also have a SimLab that includes a couple EM rooms, Surgery (with scrub room), ObGyn, and optho. As far as rotations, I can't say b/c we havent started them yet, but I am looking forward to them. The university has new construction going on all over, including a new science, engineering, and research building that should be completed over the next couple years (they are moving dirt around now for it). We also have a driving range that will be completed in the spring, if golf is your thing (I cant wait for it). The school is also beginning to setup residencies, including IM, FP ortho, and possibly PM&R (those are in the works from my understand, don't know what other ones are being looked at). In terms of being a new school, I don't think we have suffered at all. I have not felt like a guinea pig in anyway. If and when something needed to change, it is usually done pretty quickly b/c the faculty are very receptive to student feedback. In terms of the faculty, I belive we have one of the best sets in the country. Our anatomy program is awesome (Drs. Cross, Casady, Leo), as well is our Physio (Drs. Fitzovich and Palazolo), Path (Dr. Lyons), Molecular Fundamentals of Medicine (includes biochem, micro, genetics, etc....Drs. Kiick, Biel, Bassett, Alley, Foster), and OPP/OMT (Drs. Thompson, Wieting, D'Eramo). On top of that, we have Dr. Leo, who is our Dean of Students, and he is just incredible. He teaches parts of neuroanatomy and is the best teacher I have ever had....words can't describe him. Same goes for Dr. Stowers (Dean of DCOM) and Dr. Teitelbaum, great clinician and statistician, and they are some of the most genuine people I have ever met. There is a great familylike atmosphere at the school as well. People get along great. The faculty treat us as colleagues and as friends, and hang out with the students a lot. It is also a very family-friendly school as well if you have a spouse, kids, significant other, etc.

I have never regretted turning down LECOM-E and CCOM to be part of the DCOM family. I couldn't be happier and am just thrilled to be part of its history. I am looking forward to rotations and seeing how they are. And I know that if any of them are frowned upon by the students and feedback is poor about them, things will be fixed. I don't think you would regret picking DCOM either.

After seeing the clinical rotation sites, I think the answer is obvious and easy. That is, if you have options.

After seeing the clinical rotation sites, I think the answer is obvious and easy. That is, if you have options.

How does looking at a list of rotation sites determine if the their clinical education is good or not???

Do some research and check out the clinicals of both schools, in fact all the schools that you would be interested in attending. With phone calls and the Internet, you should be able to determine which is best for you and your situation. It is 1/2 of your medical school education. I couldn't tell you which would be best for you, but you should be able to make an informed decision.

I'm impressed with VCOMs recent match list. They must be doing things well over there. VCOM has a head start on DCOM so of course they have an upper hand in that regard. However DCOM is doing all the right things to really help solidify a strong place on the DO community. They are off to a strong start and continue to make excellent improvements.

In the end you should go for whichever school feels right to you (if you have that option). Just Remember that it's up to you to make the most out of your medical education no matter where you go.

I doubt the football team of a school VCOM has a partnership with really matters in terms of quality of education, if so then "uh oh." With that logic, an undergrad should pick the University of Florida over, say, Harvard or Princeton b/c the gators would totally crush any Ivy League football team.

I doubt the football team of a school VCOM has a partnership with really matters in terms of quality of education, if so then "uh oh." With that logic, an undergrad should pick the University of Florida over, say, Harvard or Princeton b/c the gators would totally crush any Ivy League football team.

I must humbly disagree. Hokie football is a crucial component of our education. Proper tailgating procedures are covered on exams in both 1st and 2nd year. You will also be required to diagram and label all parts of Lane Stadium and know their proper function. And, a thorough understanding of Beamerball is required before you are released to your 3rd year rotations.

Oh, its also a pretty cool place if you are interested in sports medicine.

Disclaimer: I have been to both schools, received interviews and acceptances at both, and I elected to attend VCOM.

Clinical Sites: What has been mentioned previously is pretty sound. Basically, DCOM is newer and their sites are untested. That does NOT mean that they will be better or worse. The DCOM administration has been working tirelessly to pick out good options for their students. However, many of the sites are a smaller hospitals with fewer beds. At the interview, we received a massive amount of info about them. In contrast, VCOM is slightly older, and a lot of the kinks have been worked out for their rotations. They have set up lots of great spots IN THE AREA. This is key for me, b/c I like to stay put. There are many hospitals and sites in or near Blacksburg/Christiansburg. Not so for DCOM.

However, clinical sites are not relevant until you pass the first two years of classes.

Faculty: Both schools have made a great effort to recruit top notch faculty. I think they are pretty much on par in this area. The first two years are tough, but the faculty I met at both schools seemed interested in student welfare.

Campus: DCOM is at Lincoln Memorial University - tiny, liberal arts. VCOM is at Virginia Tech - behemoth of a polytech school with ACC football team.

Technology: DCOM and VCOM are both EXTREMELY advanced. BOTH schools have simulation labs; VCOM has more resources in this area. BOTH schools are linked through an insane set of flatscreens and techie craziness; DCOM may be slightly superior on this end. BOTH schools have laptop requirements for their wired lecture rooms/anatomy software; DCOM includes the laptop in tuition (thus, everyone has the same model each year) while VCOM does not. In any case, they are BOTH great models for the future of technology in education.

Facilities: DCOM has one building with everything inside. I can't comment on the cadaver lab b/c they don't let you see it (apparently). The lecture halls are large and techie. The building is very new, very clean, and well made. VCOM has a main building, a simulation/OMM building, and a reserach building under construction. The lecture halls are virtually the same as DCOM's. The cadaver lab is large (30+ stations) with flat panels and anatomy software at each station; the ventilation system makes the smell negligible. The whole back wall is windows that look over the mountains (very pretty). Both have almost no library facilities, although VCOM student have access to the large Va Tech ones.

Area/Cost-of-Living: DCOM is in Harrogate, TN. IT IS RURAL. You have to drive under a mountain into Kentucky to get to Walmart. If you like a city with more than 4 traffic lights, this is NOT the place for you. On the other hand, it is quiet and very affordable. VCOM is in Blacksburg, VA. It is a college town (Virginia Tech). Nearby Christiansburg (5-7 minutes) has all the chain stores. It is very...suburban, except on game days, when driving is not possible. Low traffic volumes and still generally quiet as long as you stay away from undergrads. Cost of living is medium (nothing near Atlanta, Boston, Chicago prices, but not as low as Harrogate). What you pick in this category depends on what you like personally. Personally, Blacksburg is better for singles, but established families would be okay in Harrogate.

Cost: DCOM costs a bit more than VCOM (a few thousand, which is not that much when you are already in the realm of 200K in debt). Note: DCOM has student housing near to campus; VCOM does not, but there are MANY apartment options since it is a college town.

Education: I FIRMLY believe that I would receive an excellent education at both schools.

I chose VCOM because it fit me and my likes/dislikes. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I think your analysis of both schools is very fair. The only thing I want to say is you should have been able to see the anatomy lab during your interview day. The only reason I can come up with for not being able to is if there was a practical on the day you interviewed. Those are typically held in the afternoon, starting right after your tours, which are done by first-year students. So, they are not allowed in the lab before the exam, thus you guys who are interviewing can't see the lab, which really sucks.

Good luck at VCOM!!!

I think they have about six per body.

I also got in to both schools and picked VCOM. Like Mallory said, I feel the schools were equal on many parts. I agree with her assessment of the schools.

One other thing that I liked about VCOM was that the anatomy lab has about 4-5 students per cadaver and you do dissections. At DCOM, they have about 8 cadavers total, they do prosections (not sure how to spell that), and the students sort of rotate (if I understood correctly). Some people prefer VCOM's anatomy method, others prefer DCOM's way. Personally, I don't think I would be able to learn as much without spending A LOT of time working on a body, so I prefer the dissections. Some people want less time in the lab, so DCOM would have the more preferable method for them.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I love DCOM, but VCOM is nice too. It's really a personal choice though as you'll get a great education at either one. I wouldn't let anyone sway you, just make your own judgment.

I've read the opinions on prosections v dissection. I believe I would be better off with dissection, regardless of the reviews. I have to wonder if the move to prosection is not as much education driven but more money driven.

I've read the opinions on prosections v dissection. I believe I would be better off with dissection, regardless of the reviews. I have to wonder if the move to prosection is not as much education driven but more money driven.

At least at DCOM, I can tell you its not money driven. The admin decided to have prosection in order for students to have more time studying and less time picking thru fascia, fat, etc. Having done both prosection and dissection, prosection definitely saves time for the student, altho I believe that dissection gives you a greater appreciation for the body. I don't think a student can go wrong either way as each as its positives and negatives.

As for DCOM's anatomy lab, we do have 8 cadavers, so it is one of the smaller labs. Each body as 5 students at a time, with a total of 4 groups rotating per body. Is it a disadvantage? I don't think so, but you do have a higher chance of seeing more pathology with the more cadavers you have. Our lab is state of the art with techology all over, just on the small side. One thing we do have that no number of bodies can out-perform is Dr. Cross....he is straight up the man!!! We also have Dr. Leo who helps out with labs, espeically head, neck, and preproductive, and he is beyond incredible as well!!!

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was not speaking of DCOM in particular but prosection/dissection in general. Thanks for the input on prosection. I would be interested in other comments on this matter. I still believe that the overall move to prosection is money driven, as well as student/cadaver ratio.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was not speaking of DCOM in particular but prosection/dissection in general. Thanks for the input on prosection. I would be interested in other comments on this matter. I still believe that the overall move to prosection is money driven, as well as student/cadaver ratio.

Ok, I am a student at VCOM and we have dissections and I HATED it! its only a waste of time, REALLY! I honestly didnt know what i was getting into, but i would definitely go with the prosection and NO, its not money driven, its to allow the student more time to study.....u have no idea how much time we spend in the lab to clean all the fat (by that time, i could have learned the structures and left, but no, u spend an extra hour or two to clean the cadaver off the fat!!!!) DCOM, great more on this :thumbup:

at the end, I learned anatomy from the Rohen's atlas and showed up at the practical and knew the info!!!!! i honestly skipped alot of labs (which is WRONG) and i got in trouble for it b/c my lab group hated me....apparently b/c i knew more than them and scored better on the practicals b/c i spent time looking at structures while they were cutting.

just as a side note, at VCOM, we do both, dissection and we have prosected models as well! so its a double advantage, but i hated dissection. just my 2 cents

Thanks a billion!

New here, this is my 2nd post and all I wanted to know was the view on VCOM, it's the only school I have considered...I am starting pre-med in the fall at EMU, they have a pre-osteo program and I want to matriculate right into VCOM if at all possible, but I have never gotten any feed-back on the school til now...thanks heaps!