Quantcast

VCOM Vs. NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JO300

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
192
Reaction score
1

Members don't see this ad.
what you guys think.
which one you will pick and why?

thank you
 

ezal36

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 23, 2005
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
big difference. big city school vs small town college school. you will get a good education from both. However nycom will probably be in a metro setting for roatations and residencies as vcom will be in a rural setting for rotations and residencies. There is an extreme shortage of rural doctors especially specialists, so if that is your desire go with vcom. if you want to practice in a big city environment go to nycom.
 

JO300

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
192
Reaction score
1
ezal36 said:
big difference. big city school vs small town college school. you will get a good education from both. However nycom will probably be in a metro setting for roatations and residencies as vcom will be in a rural setting for rotations and residencies. There is an extreme shortage of rural doctors especially specialists, so if that is your desire go with vcom. if you want to practice in a big city environment go to nycom.

I think I will have the option to get residency in a big city even if I go with VCOM.
and doing my roatation in rural setting will give me a chance to gain more experience with patients.
what you guys think.

thank you
 

tcom200901

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
NYCOM is associated with some of the best teaching hospitals in America. The New York area has to be one of the best in the country for a variety of pathology that you will see as a medical student. There you will have the depth and breadth of patients to learn from.

Also, NYCOM is time tested, with graduates from that school getting into great programs. The other school is not.

I have a good friend who graduated from NYCOM two years ago. She tells me that her clinical rotations there were exceptional.
 

JO300

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
192
Reaction score
1
tcom200901 said:
NYCOM is associated with some of the best teaching hospitals in America. The New York area has to be one of the best in the country for a variety of pathology that you will see as a medical student. There you will have the depth and breadth of patients to learn from.

Also, NYCOM is time tested, with graduates from that school getting into great programs. The other school is not.

I have a good friend who graduated from NYCOM two years ago. She tells me that her clinical rotations there were exceptional.

I graduated from unknow University but I made it.
 

markdo3549

VCOM 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
dr.z said:
What's the hostility here for? It seems like you want to goto VCOM. If so why not go there?

I don't think Jo is demonstrating hostility. He is just trying to say that both are good, he just wants to know more about what you like at each. I personally think both schools are great. They are both approved medical schools and have pros and cons. I think you need to sit down and look at the good things and bad things about each and then make your decision. Hope to see you at VCOM! Has it occurred to anyone that maybe VCOM isn't as known as NYCOM because it is fairly new and does not have a big population (with many hospitals) surrounding it. Good luck with your decision.

Mark
 

USArmyDoc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
2,347
Reaction score
5
markdo3549 said:
I don't think Jo is demonstrating hostility. He is just trying to say that both are good, he just wants to know more about what you like at each. I personally think both schools are great. They are both approved medical schools and have pros and cons. I think you need to sit down and look at the good things and bad things about each and then make your decision. Hope to see you at VCOM! Has it occurred to anyone that maybe VCOM isn't as known as NYCOM because it is fairly new and does not have a big population (with many hospitals) surrounding it. Good luck with your decision.

Mark


Yes, thats precisely why people are advocating for NYCOM and against VCOM!
 

JO300

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
192
Reaction score
1
markdo3549 said:
I don't think Jo is demonstrating hostility. He is just trying to say that both are good, he just wants to know more about what you like at each. I personally think both schools are great. They are both approved medical schools and have pros and cons. I think you need to sit down and look at the good things and bad things about each and then make your decision. Hope to see you at VCOM! Has it occurred to anyone that maybe VCOM isn't as known as NYCOM because it is fairly new and does not have a big population (with many hospitals) surrounding it. Good luck with your decision.

Mark

Hi mark, I think we talked before,
It is very hard decision to choose between VCOM and NYCOM.
I know both schools are good. but I want to make sure that I would not make mistake.
I will be comfortable in VCOM because of its environment but I am more confident in NYCOM because of its history.
I just need your help to decide VCOM and NYCOM.

I am not trying to put any school down.

Thank you
 

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2005
Messages
2,587
Reaction score
17
I think it has been suggested already but you should make a list of things that you find most important and rank each school accordingly. For some people one or 2 categories are so important that it makes it easier to choose between schools.

class size
clinical affiliations
PBl vs lecture
research
location
match list
diversity of faculty/students
cost
availability of fellowships
technology (STAN, lectures on mp3 or video,etc.)
mission statement of school
exam schedule
standout faculty
stability of curriculum and amount of input students have in changing it
did you feel comfortable when visiting the school
the list can go on...

seems like clinical affiliations is an important category for some students posting in this thread and I'm definitely one of them. It seems like you don't care about the location or clinical affiliation. When you figure out what criteria is most important to you then you will be making progress to choosing one school.
 

markdo3549

VCOM 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
HunterGatherer said:
I think it has been suggested already but you should make a list of things that you find most important and rank each school accordingly. For some people one or 2 categories are so important that it makes it easier to choose between schools.

class size
clinical affiliations
PBl vs lecture
research
location
match list
diversity of faculty/students
cost
availability of fellowships
technology (STAN, lectures on mp3 or video,etc.)
mission statement of school
exam schedule
standout faculty
stability of curriculum and amount of input students have in changing it
did you feel comfortable when visiting the school
the list can go on...

seems like clinical affiliations is an important category for some students posting in this thread and I'm definitely one of them. It seems like you don't care about the location or clinical affiliation. When you figure out what criteria is most important to you then you will be making progress to choosing one school.

Jo I really do not think you will go wrong with either of the choices. I agree with hunter gatherer's advice. Mark
 
Top