VCOM-worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading on the VCOM website that they really want to make physicians that cater to the rural areas, and prefer people from these areas. I hail from Brooklyn, NY, the most populated borough in NYC, and lived here my entire life. Granted, my GPA and MCAT are higher than their averages, but I've never done anything to show an interest in rural medicine, and quite honestly, I"m not that into rural medicine. My volunteer work was done in an underserved city hospital that has it's own problems. Great experience, but probably pretty far away from rural medicine.

I have spent some time in what I consider rural areas. My grandparents used to live in the Catskills, and I spent every summer there up to when I was 14 or 15, and sure, it was fun, but never really "influenced" me to move to those kinds of areas. Because lets face it, I was a kid, I thought it was the greatest thing in the world to pick rasberries and blackberries from the bushes in the forest. I just don't know if I should save my $75 because they probably don't want a city kid, or apply anyway and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several city kids in my class. Yes the majority of the students are not from big cities but VCOM also wants a well-rounded class. I know a couple of people that said in their interviews that they were not interested in rural medicine and they still got in. If you really want to come here than apply. Remember that VCOM is in a very rural area and there are no big cities near by.