Vcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Strange- I am pro-choice, did Americorps where I was surrounded by hippie-liberals and I STILL find VCOM appealing. :D

My bf goes to NYMC which is another catholic medical school: Unmarried couples are not allowed to live in dorms and they don't get to practice abortions...oh no :rolleyes: ! I am sure the few people going into OB/GYN will have ample opportunities to perform abortions in residencies. Despite an education that is "lacking" (as some might put it), their board scores were around 223 this year (the national average is 215...schools such as BU med which is supposedly a lot higher ranked was a 215--just a point of comparison).

But my bf really loves the school especially because it was a non-competative environment. My point is that a few minor restrictions does not compromise the quality of education. Having been premed and completing a masters, I know how horrible and stressful it can be when you are competing with your neighbor. The last thing you want is your classmate breathing down your back when you are trying to memorize Robbins (the pathology grandmother of all grandmothers).

Members don't see this ad.

Amy B said:
If you are looking for a "perfect" medical school to attend, well all I have to say is goodluck. No place is perfect. If you are looking for a medical school that will teach you how to be a caring and compassionate doctor, then VCOM is the school for you.

I agree that a perfect medical school does not exist. I also believe that a medical school cannot teach someone how to be caring and compassionate. Most people that aspire to medicine already have that engrained in their personality. My opinion is that you will find people with the same likes/dislikes no matter where you go. So all you guys have to make the decision about what is best for you. I felt after the time of my interview that VCOM was a good match for me, and I am a liberal conservative, non-christian. That was my decision, and even after all the Falwell and Rokovich stuff, I still feel like this is a good environment, and that my friends agree and disagree with me and my opinions.

Oh yeah, I am not Catholic...still like VCOM. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks exlawgrrl and everyone that replied. Yes, when I filling out the secondary, I assumed that the medical mission is secular as well. But I have to agree with AmyB that as long as VCOM provides me with a good education and prepares me to be a good, compassionate doc; I'm happy. But I can understand where you're coming from exlawgrrl since I can see how if religious beliefs surround you and are pushed on you while you are at school, then it can impede your studies and your goals.

Badger1049,

May I assume you are currently a VCOM student? If so, how is the student body? As in are they supportive of each other or competitive? I've heard VCOM's student body has a sense of camaderie, but is this an atmosphere at the school or is it just an isolated case with the students. How does the school approach it? I'm just looking for a school with a sense of community and support for one another. I'm not into the competition although I know some is needed for everyone to be successful. Thanks.

goat said:
Badger1049,

May I assume you are currently a VCOM student? If so, how is the student body? As in are they supportive of each other or competitive? I've heard VCOM's student body has a sense of camaderie, but is this an atmosphere at the school or is it just an isolated case with the students. How does the school approach it? I'm just looking for a school with a sense of community and support for one another. I'm not into the competition although I know some is needed for everyone to be successful. Thanks.

I am a new MSII, and I would have to say there is a sense of community/comraderie. The environment is non-competitive, they want everyone to pass. And in each class there has been sharing of material (be it notes/study guides/study test questions).

Badger1049 said:
I am a new MSII, and I would have to say there is a sense of community/comraderie. The environment is non-competitive, they want everyone to pass. And in each class there has been sharing of material (be it notes/study guides/study test questions).

Thanks!

Hey Amy B,

Thanks for the link. I am really interested in the medical mission. Do you know if they were religious-based? I know that students and doctors do go no them strictly for the focus of religion but is it one of the main emphasis?

exlawgrrl said:
question for you vcom'ers. i'm a super-liberal, pro-choice feminist who's not remotely religious (ex-catholic with a religious family, so i respect religious people but expect them to respect us non-religious folks, too, and not try to convert us). i get the vibe that my viewpoints wouldn't be very accepted or that i wouldn't fit in there, especially because they didn't allow a student planned parenthood group to form. is my vibe wrong?

Well, I am an MSIII, and figured I would help try to ease your mind a little. We had alot of people in our class that were pro-choice, one who had stickers all over her computer and was awarded the "Get your laws off my body award" at the end of the year :laugh: We all knew, and all accepted, and all loved her- regardless of if we agreed or not. See, the deal is this, VCOM doesn't mind your personal views or beliefs-but just as you did not like people trying to convert you, VCOM does not like someone trying to convert their politics. We are funded by people in the community- who are willing to donate money to help students get scholarships, etc. There is a certain amount of decorum that the school needs to have in order to provide students with as much opportunity as possible for scholarships. So- VCOM does not mind you having your own opinion- and you will find faculty that is very supportive. It just could not support a club that would potentially let them lose scholarship opportunities for its students. I feel that it was a fair deal in the end. But trust me on one thing- you have a wide spectrum of students- those who are christian, and those who are not. We are not about being bible-thumpers- we are about making GREAT DOs. If you have any more questions- feel free to ask. :)

OMMmama said:
It just could not support a club that would potentially let them lose scholarship opportunities for its students.

So then why is MSFC (Medical Students for Choice) found at numerous other schools? This seems like a cop out to me. I was told the reason for denying MSFC was b/c the admin considered it a "political" organization and did not want to be involved with the politics. Well then why are we partnering with such a highly political figure and school, i.e. Falwell and LU? It doesn't get much more political, not to mention divisive, which I can imagine driving away possible scholarship donors (and alumni donors).

levelhead said:
So then why is MSFC (Medical Students for Choice) found at numerous other schools? This seems like a cop out to me. I was told the reason for denying MSFC was b/c the admin considered it a "political" organization and did not want to be involved with the politics. Well then why are we partnering with such a highly political figure and school, i.e. Falwell and LU? It doesn't get much more political, not to mention divisive, which I can imagine driving away possible scholarship donors (and alumni donors).

Don't ask why. You will beat your self up trying to figure it out, and you aren't big enough to change it. I can look at: the New York times, CNN, NBC, UC Berkely, Harvard U. and I can go on and on and on about this organization and that organization, and ask myself, "why are they are so liberal?" Well, the pinheads who run these organizations are liberal, and so that's just the way it is. Right now they have possession, and that is 9/10 of the rule. I don't like it but that's just the way it is.

Mr. Roc not only has possession, but he is the rule. His political persuassions, and those of the major money that he represents are not like the political persuassions of the affore mentioned parties. He can institute & be a major player in shaping pretty much any policy of the school that he wants to be involved with, notwithstanding, all laws must be obeyed. It's his right for being the CEO of a private, non-publically traded company (school). He doesn't have to answer to us. That's just the way it is.

As an American who doesn't like their present situation you can: A) take your money and go elsewhere, B) protest, but not on school property--well maybe this one since the school technically sits on state property (VT), or C) be grateful this school gave you a shot at fullfilling your dream, do your 4 years and be done with it. It's not that long of a time anyhow.

Sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk, and this isn't an attack on you. My comments are for everyone who thinks this is their business. All that I am saying is some things are bigger than us & you need to pick fights that you can win. Not only that. You are looking at areas that do not directly impact your life. As I said before. Who VCOM does business with is no ones business but VCOM's (as long as it is legal). You have enough to worry about to get out of this place. Don't worry about what you can't change.

SL, your post is correct. We can't beat ourselves or anyone else up for these things. Current students have options, and future students have options. When it comes to the Admin, we can't really do anything/change anything.

Hi Everyone!

I was skimming throught the VCOM Interview Feedback and saw someone questioned the accreditation of VCOM. Could anyone give me some input into this? This is a sincere question; I'm not trying to stir up an argument.
Thanks.

goat said:
Hi Everyone!

I was skimming throught the VCOM Interview Feedback and saw someone questioned the accreditation of VCOM. Could anyone give me some input into this? This is a sincere question; I'm not trying to stir up an argument.
Thanks.

DO schools cannot be fully accredited until their first class graduates and performs well enough of the boards. VCOM's first class hasn't graduated, so they're not fully accredited.

We have to go through a yearly evaluation and we get accredited for only 1 year at a time until the 1st class graduates. However, with the last accreditaion process which is good for this current school year VCOM came through the process completely unscathed, and did not receive one single deficiency. We are well on our way to being fully accredited and there should be no problems.

StaticLine, I was responding to an assertion made by OMMmama regarding the reasoning behind denying MSFC. I was illustrating how the administration has clearly contradicted itself by aligning itself with Falwell/LU. They speak of wanting to be apolitical, yet Falwell is one of the most politically divisive personalities in America. Rocovich is clearly an ideologue who has a vision for the school, which is fine. What is not fine is the fact that this vision is never made clear to prospective students (that is, until they are already here).

I’m sure you’re ready to fire off another long-winded, self-assured response to this, but I am not about to rehash everything that was said regarding this topic previously, so I strongly urge you to read some of the posts in this thread so you can better understand where those of differing opinions than yours are coming from. There are several well written posts that are very worth your while.

Enjoy.

levelhead

p.s. If after reading that thread you still feel like arguing, don’t count on my presence.

levelhead said:
StaticLine, I was responding to an assertion made by OMMmama regarding the reasoning behind denying MSFC. I was illustrating how the administration has clearly contradicted itself by aligning itself with Falwell/LU. They speak of wanting to be apolitical, yet Falwell is one of the most politically divisive personalities in America. Rocovich is clearly an ideologue who has a vision for the school, which is fine. What is not fine is the fact that this vision is never made clear to prospective students (that is, until they are already here).

Sometimes you have to look past what people are saying and ask yourself," What are they really saying?" What I am writting is what the VCOM admin probablly really wanted to say when asked about this ridiculous uproar about LU. Instead they gave some answer about being "apolitical." What I wrote, you know privately that is what Mr. Rocovich would say if he were asked. But they can't say it because people no longer want to hear truth, and many would start whinning if they did hear it, and I am sure VCOM doesn't want to waste its valuable time explaining the position of the school CEO.

As far as the school vision: it's very clear, Rural FM in the Appalachian Mountains. That's all we hear about. The other visions of the school don't matter because they don't affect you personally. Have a good weekend.

Static Line said:
Sometimes you have to look past what people are saying and ask yourself," What are they really saying?" What I am writting is what the VCOM admin probablly really wanted to say when asked about this ridiculous uproar about LU. Instead they gave some answer about being "apolitical." What I wrote, you know privately that is what Mr. Rocovich would say if he were asked. But they can't say it because people no longer want to hear truth, and many would start whinning if they did hear it, and I am sure VCOM doesn't want to waste its valuable time explaining the position of the school CEO.

As far as the school vision: it's very clear, Rural FM in the Appalachian Mountains. That's all we hear about. The other visions of the school don't matter because they don't affect you personally. Have a good weekend.

what about rural women in the appalchians who needs abortions? seriously, access to care is a big issue for rural women because abortion providers are usually only in the big cities, and things like 24-hour waits make it really burdensome for a woman to travel a long distance to get an abortion. providing abortions is not inconsistent with caring for members of an underrepresented rural population.

also, i'm curious as to what you think rocovich's response would be. the apolotical thing is bogus, but it's better than saying he'd like to exclude people who are pro-choice from voicing their opinions. you're basically saying that your school is anti-choice. if the school has an agenda aside from simply providing rural care (and, yes, it sounds like they do), they should include it in their mission statement. LU does, so why can't VCOM?

Badger1049 said:
SL, your post is correct. We can't beat ourselves or anyone else up for these things. Current students have options, and future students have options. When it comes to the Admin, we can't really do anything/change anything.

that's probably true, which is why i especially appreciate the honesty of posters like levelhead, so i don't waste my time and money on sending in an application to vcom.

exlawgrrl said:
what about rural women in the appalchians who needs abortions? seriously, access to care is a big issue for rural women because abortion providers are usually only in the big cities, and things like 24-hour waits make it really burdensome for a woman to travel a long distance to get an abortion. providing abortions is not inconsistent with caring for members of an underrepresented rural population.

also, i'm curious as to what you think rocovich's response would be. the apolotical thing is bogus, but it's better than saying he'd like to exclude people who are pro-choice from voicing their opinions. you're basically saying that your school is anti-choice. if the school has an agenda aside from simply providing rural care (and, yes, it sounds like they do), they should include it in their mission statement. LU does, so why can't VCOM?

As far as abortion goes, you can't force any physician to do one who refuses to do one. For the most part, it's an elective procedure. I would personally get out of medicine if it came to the option of having to perform an abortion or face criminal charges for not doing one. If you want to put labels like "anti-choice" on a school then lets do that. So you are saying that you are looking for schools that are: "pro-slaughter children in the womb" or "pro-death" or "pro-murder the innocent." This can go on and on and it really serves no purpose.

As far as the secret agenda of the school. Well, I am not privy to it. I don't know Mr. Rocovich or the admin on a personal level, and the Gestapo and KGB have hidden it really well from me. As far as the public agenda: Easy, Rural FM. I do know that the school goes out on many local missions here in our own backyard in SW Virgina. They treat many underpriveledged who don't have access to medical care at the free clinics. Wow!! What a bad thing to do.

It sounds as if your only concern is if women have access to abortions. That's a pretty narrow scope you are looking through. They need more health care than that, besides I am sure there are still plenty willing to do one, just not me.

Anyway, the school provides me a solid basic sciences background and training to become a physician, and that's all that I am paying them for. I don't need them to provide me a social value system.

i'm not focused only on one aspect of healthcare and don't plan on only practicing abortions as a doctor. however, it's a legal procedure that rural women probably don't have access to. rural women also probably don't have adequate access to family planning opportunities like counseling on birth control, etc. what i'm saying is that there's no inconsistency in caring about promoting health in rural appalachia and in allowing a pro-choice group to form on your campus. again, if this school has a mission aside from merely providing physicians for the people of appalachia, they should state it and be honest with their prospective donors and students. right now, they're essentially engaging in false advertising.