VCU CERT 2014-2015

Started by gabyoh23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not sure how other schools view the CERT program. However, many students attend VCU SOM not because they did not get accepted to other programs but because they have grown an affinity for VCU SOM and chose to attend it. And your question was asked and answered above about alumni at other schools.
 
I am not sure how other schools view the CERT program. However, many students attend VCU SOM not because they did not get accepted to other programs but because they have grown an affinity for VCU SOM and chose to attend it. And your question was asked and answered above about alumni at other schools.
i'll echo this, after doing CERT, i just feel way more comfortable at VCU/made a lot of friends and meet some awesome faculty. Plus richmond is pretty awesome.
 
I'd like some input please!

I am applying to CERT this cycle and was wondering if I should apply to medical school as well. I have great credentials in extracurricular activities, wonderful LORs and will be taking the MCAT in 6/2014. I lack the GPA.

I read in the thread that some CERT fellows were accepted into medical school the same year. Were their credentials already high, or standard?

I really appreciate the input, thanks!
Happy Wednesday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys think the VCU CERT program is helpful for getting into other D.O. and M.D. schools as well? I would definitely want to attend VCU SOM if I did well and they took me. But doing well in the program should improve my application all across the board correct?
 
The ones that I know already had above average applications. They had a lot of extracurricular activities and clinical experience. I only knew of one student who received their admission during the fall semester.

And to answer the other question. I think if you perform well in any program, it will be helpful getting into schools.
 
Has anyone heard from admissions lately? My application was completed earlier this month, so just waiting to hear back now.
 
I thought I'd never make an account on SDN lol--but I have now succumbed.

I was notified of acceptance via email on May 19. I hope you hear back soon 🙂
 
neuro85, you could always give them an e-mail and inquire about you status.

adele nazeem, would you say the ones who were accepted during/after the program had already 3.5+ undergraduate GPA?
 
And I agree with MDfever; definitely email the program and check on your application status because I originally thought all my supplemental info was uploaded--come to find out, someone didn't upload my test scores, which set me back further.
 
Hey guys, I was just notified of my acceptance yesterday! I am going to be looking for apartments next weekend since I live in northern Virginia. Anybody need a roommate? Cheers everybody, I look forward to meeting you all!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone; I also got accepted yesterday. I intend to attend. LETS GET IN TO MEDICAL SCHOOL !!!! I need cheap rent; who's trying to find a cheap/safe place? I realize that combination may be easier said than done.... 🙂
 
Congrats Hokiehi! what was your sGPA/cGPA, if you dont mind me asking! (extracurricular, MCAT, GREs...etc)

So just a quick background, I graduated VT in 2010 with a BS in Biology and have been working in a medical diagnostics lab since 2011. I graduated with an AMCAS 2.85 cGPA/2.8 sGPA, due to an unfortunate combination of illness and immaturity. Last year I took the MCAT and rec'd a 31 (10P/10V/11B) and applied very late to CERT. Long story short, VCU wanted to see more evidence that I can handle heavy courseload so I took some more upper level biology classes and got a 4.0 in them and reapplied. I have a lot of volunteering, clinical, and research experience so a post bacc like this is the ticket for me. I am really excited to be back in school full time though, especially now that I have the drive and direction to become a physician!
 
Hey everyone; I also got accepted yesterday. I intend to attend. LETS GET IN TO MEDICAL SCHOOL !!!! I need cheap rent; who's trying to find a cheap/safe place? I realize that combination may be easier said than done.... 🙂

Hey nb4, I am pretty familiar with the VCU area and have found several places that are very affordable in the Fan, which is the safe part of town close to VCU. PM me if you are interested, I am hoping to go see some places this weekend.
 
So just a quick background, I graduated VT in 2010 with a BS in Biology and have been working in a medical diagnostics lab since 2011. I graduated with an AMCAS 2.85 cGPA/2.8 sGPA, due to an unfortunate combination of illness and immaturity. Last year I took the MCAT and rec'd a 31 (10P/10V/11B) and applied very late to CERT. Long story short, VCU wanted to see more evidence that I can handle heavy courseload so I took some more upper level biology classes and got a 4.0 in them and reapplied. I have a lot of volunteering, clinical, and research experience so a post bacc like this is the ticket for me. I am really excited to be back in school full time though, especially now that I have the drive and direction to become a physician!

Hokiehi, I'm glad to see your motivation!!! Keep it up. How late did you apply to the CERT program last year? I'm taking the GREs and applying in a week or two... hopefully, it's not too late.
 
Got my acceptance a few days ago, and it looks like I will be attending! I'm looking for an apartment as well;
anyone know of any safe, reasonably priced housing near MCV?
 
hij3bmmg, can you tell us about your background? GPA, extracurricular, work, MCAT, GRE...etc?
 
One more thing Hokiehi, did you have an upward trend in your GPA?

Yeah MD, upward trend, made Deans list my senior year and I have a 4.0 in all classes taken since graduating. Cheers and GL.

Got my acceptance a few days ago, and it looks like I will be attending! I'm looking for an apartment as well;
anyone know of any safe, reasonably priced housing near MCV?

Hey congrats on the acceptance! I am not positive, but as far as I know you probably don't want to live downtown near mcv, even if it's cheap. Try the Fan or the Museum district.
 
Hey All,
congrats on your acceptances to the program. Do not be afraid to live by MCV. Most CERT students do because it is convenient. I have thankfully not had an incident in which I did not feel safe so even though crime does happen, don't be too scared of it!
 
Just got accepted into Cert for Fall 2014!
I graduated from VCU for undergrad and i'm sooo excited to be going back!

Haven't received any information yet about the orientations yet.
 
Just got accepted! Currently researching more into the program 🙂

I'm also applying to medical schools now (got my first secondary today)... is this program similar to other SMPs in that they encourage/support students to apply to medical schools simultaneously? I'm going to put down on my secondaries that I'll be doing a record enhancing program, whether it be VCUs or another (but probably VCU!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got accepted! Currently researching more into the program 🙂

I'm also applying to medical schools now (got my first secondary today)... is this program similar to other SMPs in that they encourage/support students to apply to medical schools simultaneously? I'm going to put down on my secondaries that I'll be doing a record enhancing program, whether it be VCUs or another (but probably VCU!)

First of all, congratulations! Hopefully I will see you in the fall.

I'm not sure if I would consider VCU's CERT program a record-enhancing one, though. They have two programs, however. One is the Post-Baccalaureate Health Sciences Certificate Program , and the other is the Premed Graduate CERT program. The post-bacc might be a record-enhancing program, but the Premed Graduate CERT is just as hard as the first year of medical school, from what I have heard. As a matter of fact, VCU M3's I have talked to tell me that the Premed CERT program is EXACTLY like the first year of medical school at VCU, so students that do the program have a huge leg up on their classmates.

I'm a recent VCU graduate (undergrad), and I am waiting for an offer/rejection from the CERT program (the hard one). Everyone here is looking for the Premed Graduate CERT, right?
 
Do you guys think the VCU CERT program is helpful for getting into other D.O. and M.D. schools as well? I would definitely want to attend VCU SOM if I did well and they took me. But doing well in the program should improve my application all across the board correct?

Yes.
 
@hij3bmmg @va6n @Hokiehi @nb4927

Hey guys I recently graduated VCU and am waiting to hear from CERT (application completed last week). As long as you are living close to VCU (whether MCV campus or the main campus), you are safe. There is plenty of security, and VCU has a pretty big police department. Not to mention, Richmond PD patrols around the campus, too. I've never needed either one, though, and I've walked the streets (drunk) many nights. That being said, I recommend living at 8.5 Canal. Just google "8onehalfcanal." I would not recommend living in the fan if you're going to MCV, but that's just me. I think it's a little too far. People say 8.5 is pricey, but it's cheaper than VCU housing, and the price includes EVERYTHING (literally). Way better deal than VCU housing. Trust me, I did VCU housing my first year, and it was the nicest VCU housing offered. 8.5 has laundry in unit (huge for me), fully furnished with a TV, everything you can think of other than food, soap, toilet paper... stuff you buy. People say it's like living on-campus without paying on-campus price. The location is great. You're between the Monroe Park Campus and MCV, and the Campus Connector has a stop right around the corner. For those unfamiliar, the Campus Connector is a VCU bus system that runs every day (hours vary, but usually from 6am-2am), with buses coming every 10-15 minutes. You can get anywhere you need to go, for free, as long as you have your VCU ID. I'd love to answer any questions from people coming to the area, so let me know if there's anything else.
 
Yes, the one I was referring to was the Graduate Certificate Program. If it really is the same intensity as first year of medical school then it's definitely what I was looking for. As for applying to medical school I definitely would just go ahead and do it. I know some people who have done other certificate programs and their first semester grades were a good enough boost to land some interviews. Might as well keep the application open then update as you go.
 
@adele nazeem,

Which classes do you suggest to take as electives? I'm trying not to screw myself over before I even walk through the door, lol. Thanks!
 
Got my acceptance on 7/11. Application was completed 7/1 (upon MCAT score receipt), but started back in April. Praying I get into MCV for Fall of 2015, so I can flow smoothly from CERT to Med School.
 
Does anyone know how selective this program is? My application was completed on the 9th which is well past their preferred deadline and I'm worried that this will hurt my chances.
Thanks in advance and congrats to everyone that got in.
 
Any VCU Undergrad Alum doing CERT this fall? I'm class of 2014. Really excited about this program. Should be tough, but great preparation for the big leagues.
 
Just got accepted a few days ago (applied pretty late). Putting in my two weeks at work today! If anyone from the program is still around on here, I was wondering how many people commute? I am probably going to have to come from Charlottesville at least for a little while and wanted to know if it's feasible. Also, kind of a weird question, what do people wear to class? I've been wearing uniforms for every job I've had and am wondering if I need to beef up my button up/khaki game.

Thanks!
 
bhw7f, congrats! Don't start wearing a suit and tie, now! Causal is best. Some wear gym clothes too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bhw7f, congrats! Don't start wearing a suit and tie, now! Causal is best. Some wear gym clothes too.

Cool thanks for the quick reply. Another kind of off topic question but I'm looking into laptops for class, any reason not to have a small netbook/chromebook? Do you need Microsoft Office or anything for test purposes?
 
From what I gathered from old VCU CERT forums, there's no specificity on what type of computer you should get. Just wait until orientation and you can ask the directors then!