VCU computer requirements..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottyhoop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Checked older posts and never found out if a mac will be ok for VCU. Any current VCU students know if a macbook pro will do the trick? Or should I invest in a new one. Also...do profs use powerpoints where a tablet laptop might be better since you can take notes right on the slides? If I have to buy a new comp, I want to work on getting the $$$ together now rather than using the comp allowance in financial aid package. Thanks!!
Scott

Members don't see this ad.

Well I go to VCU medical school but during our week of orientation they tried to convince us all that we needed a really decked out computer. I, like most others, ignored their pleadings and kept using my same old POS laptop that I've had for four years and it hasn't mattered one single time. I would say 25% of my class uses Macs and no one's ever had a problem.

Our professors use powerpoints but disperse them as pdf files. I still don't understand why they want us all to buy new computers when we get here.

I still don't understand why they want us all to buy new computers when we get here.
Probably so you don't have any games already installed to distract you.

At LSU, new computers are mandatory first week of school, as the clinics are all digital and they want to regulate the security and uniformity of Axium use. What another $2000 of my total school debt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Checked older posts and never found out if a mac will be ok for VCU. Any current VCU students know if a macbook pro will do the trick? Or should I invest in a new one. Also...do profs use powerpoints where a tablet laptop might be better since you can take notes right on the slides? If I have to buy a new comp, I want to work on getting the $$$ together now rather than using the comp allowance in financial aid package. Thanks!!
Scott

Hey scottyhoop, if you have a macbook pro that will work awesome at VCUSOD. Just get Microsoft office for mac and something like VM fusion so that you can run the dental antomy and tooth morphology cds on it which are very useful. I have a macbook and it works great. Also, mac is coming out with a mac snowleopard next year so if you havent' already purchased your mac you might want to wait until a little before the new macbook comes out to get some sweet acamic deals. I got my brand new macbook, an iPod touch and a copier/printer/scanner all for 1000 bucks roughly which I was very greatful for. Good luck with everything and congratulations on getting in. Now you just need to get ready for Gross - your first class.

Hey scottyhoop, if you have a macbook pro that will work awesome at VCUSOD. Just get Microsoft office for mac and something like VM fusion so that you can run the dental antomy and tooth morphology cds on it which are very useful. I have a macbook and it works great. Also, mac is coming out with a mac snowleopard next year so if you havent' already purchased your mac you might want to wait until a little before the new macbook comes out to get some sweet acamic deals. I got my brand new macbook, an iPod touch and a copier/printer/scanner all for 1000 bucks roughly which I was very greatful for. Good luck with everything and congratulations on getting in. Now you just need to get ready for Gross - your first class.

Wow...that's a sweet deal. $1000??? How did you get it?? I have the very first macbook pro to come out, so its getting a bit on the old side. I would like to get a new macbook. They look just as good, if not better, than my old pro. I have office already so I'm all set there...not familiar with VM fusion tho. What is it? And how bad is gross?? :) Thanks!!

Scott

I don't go to VCU, but Memphis is similar. I Have a macbook and i use Parallels version 4 to run Vista for some of the school's software. I think you'll be fine scotty.

Fusion and Parallels are applications that let you run a "virtual machine" (hence VM). This allows you to run both OS X and windows XP or Vista simultaneously. You basically partition some of your harddrive space and RAM for the virtual machine and share your other hardware such as disc drives to run the windows operating system on a mac.

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd10/?gclid=CP-D47LPqpcCFRLoxgodXSz1jQ
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

I don't go to VCU, but Memphis is similar. I Have a macbook and i use Parallels version 4 to run Vista for some of the school's software. I think you'll be fine scotty.

Fusion and Parallels are applications that let you run a "virtual machine" (hence VM). This allows you to run both OS X and windows XP or Vista simultaneously. You basically partition some of your harddrive space and RAM for the virtual machine and share your other hardware such as disc drives to run the windows operating system on a mac.

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd10/?gclid=CP-D47LPqpcCFRLoxgodXSz1jQ
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Are these programs similar to bootcamp? I've never run windows on a mac myself, so this will be new territory for me. Thanks for helping me with my homework!!
Scott

It looks like the software you mentioned will allow you to run windows apps without having to install windows. Is this the case? My understanding of bootcamp is that you basically have to reboot your computer and it restarts as a windows machine. Is this the case???

Scotty

It looks like the software you mentioned will allow you to run windows apps without having to install windows. Is this the case? My understanding of bootcamp is that you basically have to reboot your computer and it restarts as a windows machine. Is this the case???

Scotty

you have to install windows in both cases.

Ok...thanks dude!

Scotty

Wassup Scotty? Congrats on VCU man. I love this place. I was pretty concerned if I'd be able to stay with mac upon matriculation here as well. I used my old blackbook for most of this first semester, then bought a new 2.4 ghz MB the day they released the new models. LOVE IT. Zero problems whatsoever. The only thing I've needed windows for at all was the dental anatomy tooth morphology CD. I used Parallels on my blackbook, and decided to try out VMWare Fusion this time around. Fusion works 10x better than Parallels did. Both cost about $80, but if you go to Fusion's website you can get a student discount that makes it $40. And yes, you'll need a copy of Windows. I would avoid Vista like the plague. Just sayin'. ;)

As far as whether you need a new mac...depends on how well your old one is doing I guess. My wife needs a computer at home as much as I need one at school, so it was difficult to share & quite easy to persuade her to let me buy a new one, lol. If you are a techno-file at all, you will LOVE the new 2.4's with crazy multi-touch/awesome trackpad and backlit keyboard. Some don't care for the backlit keyboard (I use it daily). If you don't care for the keyboard and can deal with a slightly slower processor you can get the lower end MB for about $300 less. Denticus mentioned Snow Leopard~you could wait for that if you want, it will prolly be out before you start school, or if you want to buy a new mac now it will be easily upgradeable to Snow. Also, 13" is the perfect screen size for me, but if you want to stay with at least a 15" screen like the pro has, you can get a "refurb" last gen MBPro for $1,100-$1,500 these days (cheaper than the 2.4 MB with a couple better features like firewire and a better screen). A refurb from apple is basically new.

Lates.

Wow...that's a sweet deal. $1000??? How did you get it??

He got the back to school discount. It's always huge right before they have a big release, like this year with the new changes to the MB/MBP line and 2nd gen iPod touch. You should be able to get a free printer ($100 rebate) pretty much anytime tho.

...And how bad is gross?? :) Thanks!!

Scott

Gross actually isn't too bad if you've ever had anatomy before. It's a lot of work, but our class averaged around an 87%.

Oh, one other note: If you can, wait until after MacWorld next month before buying anything. It's doubtful that they'll have any macbook updates since they just refreshed the line, ...but maybe.

Thanks dude...I was in the short pump apple store tonight checking out the new macbooks. I like the new track. Pretty sweet...not too crazy about the keyboard tho. I have the old macbook pro where the keys actually butt up against each other and that feels more comfy to me. I have backlit keys and I agree...they are a must have. Also not too crazy about the glossy screen, but all the concerns I could deal with...nothing major. I actually won't mind going down to a 13 inch screen. Since I'll be toting it around quite a bit in my backpack the smaller size will be nice. The peeps at the apple store said it's only $50 off right now for academic discount, so I'll sit tight until I hear of a better deal..hopefully after snow is out as you mentioned. I'm in no hurry so we shall see. I'm pumped to be joining you at VCU bro!! Can't wait to get in that dent sim lab!!! Talk to you soon!

Scotty

Thanks dude...I was in the short pump apple store tonight checking out the new macbooks. I like the new track. Pretty sweet...not too crazy about the keyboard tho. I have the old macbook pro where the keys actually butt up against each other and that feels more comfy to me. I have backlit keys and I agree...they are a must have. Also not too crazy about the glossy screen, but all the concerns I could deal with...nothing major. I actually won't mind going down to a 13 inch screen. Since I'll be toting it around quite a bit in my backpack the smaller size will be nice. The peeps at the apple store said it's only $50 off right now for academic discount, so I'll sit tight until I hear of a better deal..hopefully after snow is out as you mentioned. I'm in no hurry so we shall see. I'm pumped to be joining you at VCU bro!! Can't wait to get in that dent sim lab!!! Talk to you soon!

Scotty

wait for the back to school deals. fee ipod touch is the shiz

Scotty
That's funny you were in Short Pump~that's only a couple miles away from me.

Yeah I can see how the different keyboard would be an adjustment. I came from the blackbook & the chicklet keys were the same (minus hawt lighting, of course). I actually have grown to like them quite a bit. Nice solid feel.
13" is the Bee's Knees. I love the portability of this thing~I bring it with me nearly every single day.
I've always liked glossy screens, but I must say this one is the king of gloss. It's gorgeous in low light (like powerpoint lectures), but using it outside would prolly suck.
I haven't looked recently, but the $50 education discount should only be for the 2.0 aluminum MB and the white classic. The more expensive 2.4 w/backlit keyboard should still have the $100 discount. Apple had a black Friday sale with additional savings, but other than that the price shouldn't drop too much anytime soon. Maybe a lil cheaper by Summer tho.

You're gonna love VCU! DentSim was awesome, I can't believe we're already out of it. The mannequin lab is a lot of fun tho too.

'night.

Scotty

Apple spent thousands of hours determining the optimal keyboard layout. They wound up choosing chiclet keys over the traditional macbook pro keys. Give them a shot, they will improve your typing speed and also grow on you in terms of comfort. Regarding the glossy screen, removing matte from the lineup wasn't just because glossy works better as a marketing gimmick. The LED backlights are going to be fine even outdoors.

If I were you, I would wait around till summer if you want to buy a new MBP (don't buy a MB), crossing your fingers for a revision around then.. or snag an older revision MBP now.

Last edited:
Apple spent thousands of hours determining the optimal keyboard layout. They wound up choosing chiclet keys over the traditional macbook pro keys. Give them a shot, they will improve your typing speed and also grow on you in terms of comfort. Regarding the glossy screen, removing matte from the lineup wasn't just because glossy works better as a marketing gimmick. The LED backlights are going to be fine even outdoors.

If I were you, I would wait around till summer if you want to buy a new MBP (don't buy a MB), crossing your fingers for a revision around then.. or snag an older revision MBP now.

care to elaborate on why?

my macbook is a beast, 2.4Ghz C2D with 4GB ram.
and the 13 inch design is perfect for taking anywhere.

Yeah, I'd like to know why you think a MB is not the way to go. I checked them out and they seem pretty solid. Did I miss something??

Scotty

Ditto! Same setup here & quite happy.

and the 13 inch design is perfect for taking anywhere

This is exactly what I have in my BlackBook and I LOVE it. I use it ...pretty much all day every day...