VCU Math Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get into VCU with only 1 semester of math? They screened me in for the secondary, but I only have 1 semester of math and already completed my BA.

Members don't see this ad.

I had just 1 semester of Calculus and got in, though I chose not to attend. Statistics isn't part of the math department, but I did that so, maybe that counted. Plus, I have 115 graduate credits, so they could have done a waiver. I know my path to medical school was different and I have quite of a bit of upper level courses, but they weren't exactly biochem or microbiology. Some schools had asked for that, and I called them up and informed them of the path that I took and that my courses were in similar fields and at a much higher level/intensity. Nothing is 100% cookie cutter, when they took a look at my transcript, they easily offered an interview.

I don't think you can get out of doing the core basics of Orgo 1 and 2, Bio 1 and 2, Gen Chem 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2. For some schools they also look for Eng 1 and 2 and many look for Biochem.

I had just 1 semester of Calculus and got in, though I chose not to attend. Statistics isn't part of the math department, but I did that so, maybe that counted. Plus, I have 115 graduate credits, so they could have done a waiver. I know my path to medical school was different and I have quite of a bit of upper level courses, but they weren't exactly biochem or microbiology. Some schools had asked for that, and I called them up and informed them of the path that I took and that my courses were in similar fields and at a much higher level/intensity. Nothing is 100% cookie cutter, when they took a look at my transcript, they easily offered an interview.

I don't think you can get out of doing the core basics of Orgo 1 and 2, Bio 1 and 2, Gen Chem 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2. For some schools they also look for Eng 1 and 2 and many look for Biochem.

Thanks for your input. I have all the "typical" pre-reqs (Bio, Gen Chem, Orgo, and Physics 1&2). I also have Biochem, Genetics, Micro, A&P, Cell Bio, Molecular Bio, and 3 semesters of english. It's basically just my 1 semester of math.. I contacted them, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. It seems strange that they would screen me in even though I don't meet their basic requirements, but at the same time I am kind of interpreting it as a silent waiver of the second semester of math. I don't want to submit the secondary if I'm going to be auto-rejected though.

but at the same time I am kind of interpreting it as a silent waiver of the second semester of math.

No. They only care that you have the requirements met when you matriculate. It is rare for a college applicant to have all the prereqs done when they submit their application

Status
Not open for further replies.