OUWB vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PooshBag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you go to? Assume tuition and living costs are roughly the same for both schools.

Btw, these are subjective to me. What I say are "con's" somebody else may not. So bear with me here..

VCU pro's:
-No mandatory attendence
-P/F
-Research now mandatory, and a big part of curriculum
-2.3-5 months for Step 1
-better/longer established (?)
-Richmond is a nice area lol

VCU con's:
-Big class size, 216 i think
-New curriculum, where preclinicals end early and take step 1 in march (iffy about this)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUWB pro's:
-Beaumont is a big hospital (#21 in entire US)
-much smaller class size 125 vs 216 (I think)
-New school = new tech and new buildings

OUWB con's
-New school, not as established
-70% mandatory attendence
-Less research funding, but still mandatory in curriculum
-Auburn hills, MI isn't that exciting of a place to be (not that important though)
-Not P/F

If there are any current students that would like to fill me in with the details to both schools, that would be nice. Any other opinions are also welcome. If I am mistaken on any of my Pro's/Con's please correct me. Thank you for your time!

-Poosh

Members don't see this ad.

I would say VCU because I personally applied there and didn't apply to OUWB. Couldn't imagine living in Michigan, let alone Auburn Hills. Also it seems close to home for you (?) That does pose its advantages. VCU is a big name where I live (NV) but you should really go where your heart tells you.

My mom always told me to flip a coin after assigning one heads or tails, and usually I would know which to select because when I flipped the coin like while in midair I would secretly be rooting for one. I would go for the one I found myself rooting for.

Of course, med school admissions require much more though, but maybe go visit the two schools again on Second Look Day and I have a hunch you'll be able to decide where you can imagine yourself for four years and thriving.

Even in a class size of 125, it's not small enough to warrant individual attention. You will have to seek out opportunities yourself and be able to voice to your professors when you need help (office hours and the such). As a premed, however, you are probably well-versed in this.

Reactions: 1 user
My mom always told me to flip a coin after assigning one heads or tails, and usually I would know which to select because when I flipped the coin like while in midair I would secretly be rooting for one. I would go for the one I found myself rooting for.

Haha, this is brilliant. I got to try this for myself when I get the chance.

Reactions: 1 users