VCU/MCV Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just looking at last year's thread, it seems that acceptances were starting to be mailed out around May 25th and most of the students heard in the first 2 weeks of June. I just wish VCU would know how many students they are losing just to a time issue..

i hope we hear before then. i have to sign up for a summer class that i only have to take if i decide on vcu. i'd like to know either way before i spend the money on the class....

Members don't see this ad.

Just looking at last year's thread, it seems that acceptances were starting to be mailed out around May 25th and most of the students heard in the first 2 weeks of June. I just wish VCU would know how many students they are losing just to a time issue..

ill start....1....:thumbdown:

Understandable, I would like to know before I pay my non-refundable deposit to another pharmacy school :lame:

Members don't see this ad :)
Understandable, I would like to know before I pay my non-refundable deposit to another pharmacy school :lame:

same here! shenandoah's deposit is $1,000.. that's just soo much money to lose. i would like to hear from vcu before i have to pay it :(

Hey Pam, after looking at your posts, I am pretty sure that we interviewed together at Thomas Jefferson & VCU (2/26)?

Hey Pam, after looking at your posts, I am pretty sure that we interviewed together at Thomas Jefferson & VCU (2/26)?

hey i know who this is! have you decided where you're going yet?

I haven't decided on where I am going to go yet. I got into Jefferson, Temple, and Maryland; however, I didn't put the deposit at any of those schools. Last week, I got rejected from Pitt pharmacy :(, which leaves Rutgers (interviewed on 4/11) and VCU (which is taking forever). I am just worried because I am not sure if I will actually get into either of those schools, so I am a stresscase lately. How's everything going for you?

I haven't decided on where I am going to go yet. I got into Jefferson, Temple, and Maryland; however, I didn't put the deposit at any of those schools. Last week, I got rejected from Pitt pharmacy :(, which leaves Rutgers (interviewed on 4/11) and VCU (which is taking forever). I am just worried because I am not sure if I will actually get into either of those schools, so I am a stresscase lately. How's everything going for you?

congrats on that interview at rutgers! i got waitlisted :-/ still waiting on vcu. trying not to stress about where i'm going to end up next year, but other than that everything's good!

wow congrats on those schools!

I heard getting into Maryland is really hard so I don't see why VCU would reject you...

VCU.. for some reason takes forever.. my current school is already done scheduling for P1s and already pulling people off the waiting list.

I had a co-worker that got waitlisted in May and got rejected like 4-6 weeks after that.. so I guess VCU just takes awhile cuz it's a rolling-based school.

I love VCU! Don't get me wrong, there will always be parts of the curriculum that need to be worked out. But overall, first semester was exactly what I expected. It is very manageable to do well in the program, and I work on the weekends. I am from Richmond, so VCU was an easy choice for me. We are getting ready for our first rotation in community pharmacy in just a few weeks (I am not sure if other schools do their rotations during the school year??). I don't really know any of my classmates that believe they made a bad decision with VCU.

I love VCU! Don't get me wrong, there will always be parts of the curriculum that need to be worked out. But overall, first semester was exactly what I expected. It is very manageable to do well in the program, and I work on the weekends. I am from Richmond, so VCU was an easy choice for me. We are getting ready for our first rotation in community pharmacy in just a few weeks (I am not sure if other schools do their rotations during the school year??). I don't really know any of my classmates that believe they made a bad decision with VCU.

Good to hear that it will be worth the long wait!!

Just heard from VCU.. I interviewed 3/19. I was dying to hear back so I figured I would let people know, that March people are starting to hear!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to both of you!!

I also just got in & I think these should be the acceptances starting from January interviews. It's just funny because I called Melissa yesterday and she told me that I was at "interview complete" status and that the admissions committee still had to review my file.

Congrats to both of you!!

I also just got in & I think these should be the acceptances starting from January interviews. It's just funny because I called Melissa yesterday and she told me that I was at "interview complete" status and that the admissions committee still had to review my file.

I called about 2 weeks ago and she told me the same thing. That wait was definitely evil.

Interviewed 3/19 and just received my acceptance email :-D

Interviewed 3/19 and just received my acceptance email :-D

CONGRATS!!!!!!

I am still waiting. I interview 2/12 and still havent heard anything!!! :eek::eek::eek: Was the acceptance email directly from VCU??? Or background check??!! I have to call tomorrow morning.. I can't wait NO MORE!

CONGRATS!!!!!!

I am still waiting. I interview 2/12 and still havent heard anything!!! :eek::eek::eek: Was the acceptance email directly from VCU??? Or background check??!! I have to call tomorrow morning.. I can't wait NO MORE!

me too and i also interviewed the same day as you. i was wondering if any people from our session heard anything yet.

me too and i also interviewed the same day as you. i was wondering if any people from our session heard anything yet.

Ok so now they are going backwards and letting march interviewees know before february interviewees? this makes absolutely no sense! i interviewed 2/12 as well and i haven't heard anything either so don't feel bad. they like totally missed our session or something. this school is annoying me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like people are hearing by email, right? Congrats to all of you, interviewed 3/19 as well, still waiting to hear.

I emailed Melissa today and she told me mine was still in "interview complete" and she doesn't know when the adcom will be meeting again. she said that they are not doing the reviews by interview date... i wonder how they are doing it then? oh well, i don't know about this school anymore.. it seems really disorganized.

I emailed Melissa today and she told me mine was still in "interview complete" and she doesn't know when the adcom will be meeting again. she said that they are not doing the reviews by interview date... i wonder how they are doing it then? oh well, i don't know about this school anymore.. it seems really disorganized.

Thanks so sharing this. That was what they told me today when i called. :(

It was an email from Dr. Reinders. The email for the background check came later that evening.

Quick question: has anyone who was accepted this past week get the "official" acceptance email/packet/whatever yet, or just the "tentative" one. I only ask because my background check was completed like...a few months ago when I got accepted to a different school so I didn't get the background check e-mail this time around. I want to make sure I don't miss any deadlines.

Quick question: has anyone who was accepted this past week get the "official" acceptance email/packet/whatever yet, or just the "tentative" one. I only ask because my background check was completed like...a few months ago when I got accepted to a different school so I didn't get the background check e-mail this time around. I want to make sure I don't miss any deadlines.

I have only received the tentative one. I completed my background check that night and it was processed the next day. It's hasn't been a week since I've completed it though.

I have only received the tentative one. I completed my background check that night and it was processed the next day. It's hasn't been a week since I've completed it though.[/QUOTE

See, I got the tentative email but not the background check... but I already did a background check....so maybe it just got skipped... I don't want to miss any deadlines or anything.

These problems you all have about not getting information and VCU being slow is typical of VCU. Just wait to see what its like if you actually get here.

Has anyone received their FINAID package yet? The FINAID department told me the 25APR for expected delivery and I haven't received anything yet. Congrats to all the new members of the C/O 2015!

These problems you all have about not getting information and VCU being slow is typical of VCU. Just wait to see what its like if you actually get here.

debbie-downer-7.jpg

If anyone is curious, from VCU about FINAID decisions:

Good morning! I apologize for the delay in awarding, however we are waiting for the Board of Visitors to meet to establish tuition and fees for the 2011-2012 academic year. They are scheduled to meet later this month, once we know the tuition and fees, we will be sending award letters to the Professional students.

I think the way that they make students wait over 2-3 months to hear a decision is awful. They obviously aren't getting the most qualified applicants in my opinion because most of those students probably chose to attend another school. I loved the school when I interviewed there in February, but have decided this school is definitely not for me. I can't stand when the administration is so disorganized and I get the impression that this school is just that way. I have written this school off and definitely don't regret my decision to attend another pharmacy school in the fall :)

just so everyone that hasn't hear yet knows, there is still hope! i got an email last night at midnight saying i was accepted...it was from dr. reinders. i interviewed 3.5 months ago, wack to say the least. i also will not be accepting

just so everyone that hasn't hear yet knows, there is still hope! i got an email last night at midnight saying i was accepted...it was from dr. reinders. i interviewed 3.5 months ago, wack to say the least. i also will not be accepting

I got a background check email last night but not an email from Dr. Reinders.
I interviewed back in 2/12.

I think the email (for me anyway) from Dr. Reindeers is just saying congratulations and to send in your immunization records (which I haven't done yet...yikes :eek:)

I didn't get it until a while after I got the background check email...the two didn't come hand in hand.

I haven't sent mine in yet either and I was accepted back in January. They will be sending out lists of what each new Pharm student still has outstanding in a couple weeks.

I sent in my deposit back in late April and I haven't gotten my immunization/matriculation packet yet. Does it come in the mail or email? I guess I will call and ask about that.

Also, does anyone know specifically when we start hearing about FAFSA loans?

Congrats to everyone accepted! It's going to be a great 4 years!:thumbup:

Financial Aid packages start hitting the mail next week. Check out the Facebook page for our class!

Hi, I still haven't heard anything from VCU yet. I called today to ask for my status, but Melissa said she couldn't tell me anything and that they'll be mailing out final responses within 1-2 weeks. I'm going to Richmond next week anyways because my cousin is graduating from high school somewhere near Richmond. I'm thinking about stopping by the admissions office but I have no idea who to talk to. This Dr. Reinders guy, is he the Dean of the school? I've also been accepted to two other pharmacy schools, and an orientation starts June 15! So I would definitely like to here from VCU before then, my #1 choice. Any suggestions on who I should talk to??? Thanks guys

Hi, I still haven't heard anything from VCU yet. I called today to ask for my status, but Melissa said she couldn't tell me anything and that they'll be mailing out final responses within 1-2 weeks. I'm going to Richmond next week anyways because my cousin is graduating from high school somewhere near Richmond. I'm thinking about stopping by the admissions office but I have no idea who to talk to. This Dr. Reinders guy, is he the Dean of the school? I've also been accepted to two other pharmacy schools, and an orientation starts June 15! So I would definitely like to here from VCU before then, my #1 choice. Any suggestions on who I should talk to??? Thanks guys

i think the way these people run admissions is a joke. it's june and people still haven't heard anything back, it's ridiculous! you should go to one of the other schools that you've been accepted because if their admissions committee is this bad, i'm afraid to see what the rest of the school is like... just my input.

i think the way these people run admissions is a joke. it's june and people still haven't heard anything back, it's ridiculous! you should go to one of the other schools that you've been accepted because if their admissions committee is this bad, i'm afraid to see what the rest of the school is like... just my input.

I am trying to stay unbiased and I can understand your frustration, but there are still many schools which have not finished sending out acceptances. I have had nothing but the most professional and student-friendly staff experiences at VCU SOP. However, their admissions receptionist is not the most well-versed in placating/aiding those calling in frustration or with many questions, which is unfortunate.

Angelic, I would speak with Dr. Ron Ballentine. He is the most helpful person I have run into so far. Good luck with hearing soon from VCU!

I haven't sent mine in yet either and I was accepted back in January. They will be sending out lists of what each new Pharm student still has outstanding in a couple weeks.

Oh, thanks for the info! I am in my last pre-req class currently and I was planning to stop by after I'm done and give them this transcript and my spring grades transcript and my immunization records at the same time. I was also going to ask about orientation info (I'm pretty sure it's Aug. 10 but that's only because I heard that it's 3 days before class starts) but I don't know what time or what we'll be doing or where to meet or where to park or anything really! I was wondering did anyone hear about orientation info? My address just changed so I'm not sure if they sent out something or not...I know it's still really early but I'm just so excited to get started :laugh:

I interview in 2/12. I still haven't heard anything. Did you get a letter in mail yet? I emailed Melissa and she just said they are still making final decisions and the letters will be going out soon.. I already got accepted to another school but I am totally willing to choose vcu if I get accepted.. I just wish I will find out soon than later:(

I interview in 2/12. I still haven't heard anything. Did you get a letter in mail yet? I emailed Melissa and she just said they are still making final decisions and the letters will be going out soon.. I already got accepted to another school but I am totally willing to choose vcu if I get accepted.. I just wish I will find out soon than later:([/QUOTE

nope, and i am not sure if that was from VCU though.

I know this was discussed on an earlier page, but the dates are final. The P1 Orientation is from August 17th-19th and classes start on the 22nd.

I know this was discussed on an earlier page, but the dates are final. The P1 Orientation is from August 17th-19th and classes start on the 22nd.

Oh seriously?? Where did you find out? I posted the calendar for the past year but it isn't updated. However, pharm school usually starts on the third Monday of the month with orientation 3 days before, so that seems a week late to me.

VCU sent a package out with a bunch of information. It was also sent in an email to upperclassmen.

Myself and a couple others keep the Community page for the VCU Class of 2015 Facebook page updated pretty well. Feel free to check that for quicker updates than posts here. There is a Group page as well, but I am not a member there.

Oh dang, I am missing out huh. Thanks for letting me know. I don't have a facebook account so I can't see the group page anymore, before it was accessible to the public but now it's not, I guess. My address changed so I didn't get anything but I'll talk to Melissa about it. So it was just the orientation info? At any rate, thanks for the update!