VCU Premedical Certificate Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desipardesi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone apply to/hear back from VCU yet?

Members don't see this ad.

desipardesi said:
Anyone apply to/hear back from VCU yet?
I heard back from the Physiology Dept. last week. I got in :D I had my apps in mid January. I dont know if Im planning on attending. Im waiting to hear back from Georgetown. I was informed today that they made their decision. If I dont recieve their customary email in the next day or two, Im going to start planning on moving to Richmond next fall .

That's awesome! I heard back today too, so i have to hear back from other places, but if not ill be in richmond next fall too.

I had a question about the program for anyone who knows..is the program designed for med school matriculation in fall 06 if you start the program in fall 05..or do you have to wait a year after you finish the program to get in? Anyone whose done the program know about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
desipardesi said:
That's awesome! I heard back today too, so i have to hear back from other places, but if not ill be in richmond next fall too.

I had a question about the program for anyone who knows..is the program designed for med school matriculation in fall 06 if you start the program in fall 05..or do you have to wait a year after you finish the program to get in? Anyone whose done the program know about this?

Congrats on the acceptance! Do you mind if I ask what program you got into (biochem/physio/anat/ect)? Although the program is designed for you to have a lag year, I believe that you can still try to apply this summer/fall. I was under the impression that most students who enter this fall (2005) will apply the summer of 06 for the class of 07. Good luck with the rest of your applications. Hopefully Georgetown will get back on the ball with my SMP app(they have had it since early/mid January).

mprover said:
Congrats on the acceptance! Do you mind if I ask what program you got into (biochem/physio/anat/ect)? Although the program is designed for you to have a lag year, I believe that you can still try to apply this summer/fall. I was under the impression that most students who enter this fall (2005) will apply the summer of 06 for the class of 07. Good luck with the rest of your applications. Hopefully Georgetown will get back on the ball with my SMP app(they have had it since early/mid January).

Heyy, i got into the physiology program. Its the one i wanted so im happy. Definitely doing serious research on the school now so i know what im getting into as well as planning on visiting soon...

Hello, I am interested in applying to the VCU certificate program as well. Could any of you guys share your statistics since you've been accepted to the program? thanks!

desipardesi said:
Heyy, i got into the physiology program. Its the one i wanted so im happy. Definitely doing serious research on the school now so i know what im getting into as well as planning on visiting soon...

I spent 2 summers doing research at a NSF/NIH program at VCU. If you have questions about the program or the area, drop me a PM with your questions.

Seabreeze811, I think the min general criteria is 25+ MCAT / 2.7+ GPA.

I got a PM from a couple of people but I will just respond here and hope that you guys see it. I did the physiology program last year. I chose not to apply during the program just so I could have a full year of grades when I sent in my AMCAS. There were some people in the program that applied during the certificate year; however, most were interviewed very late and put on the waitlist. I do know a few people that got in and were able to avoid the lag year. I chose to apply this past summer and I am now finishing up a masters in physiology there (the certificate program puts you 1 yr into the masters and you don't really have to take any more classes - I took one more but it was optional). Let me know if you guys have any more questions.

VPDcurt said:
I got a PM from a couple of people but I will just respond here and hope that you guys see it. I did the physiology program last year. I chose not to apply during the program just so I could have a full year of grades when I sent in my AMCAS. There were some people in the program that applied during the certificate year; however, most were interviewed very late and put on the waitlist. I do know a few people that got in and were able to avoid the lag year. I chose to apply this past summer and I am now finishing up a masters in physiology there (the certificate program puts you 1 yr into the masters and you don't really have to take any more classes - I took one more but it was optional). Let me know if you guys have any more questions.

I have a couple of questions that might benefit the thread. I wanted to know what you thought about the physiology department compared to other departments. Is tuition the same for each department, and if so what is it for out of state students (I realize this is mundane information, but Ive found numbers from $18k to $37k. Im looking to live by MCV campus (all classes are in Sanger Hall I believe) and Im considering apartments near shockhoe bottom. I wanted to see what your coments were for living. In addition, Ive heard two lines of reasoning behind taking certain electives. Ive been told in the past to take Drug Dependance as its an easier class and will hopefully pad my GPA. Ive also been told to take immunology as it might count for credit for M1 classes at VCU. Any other suggestions about classes specifically in the physiology department would be really apreciated (study techniques, professors, etc). Thanks in advance!

I sent in my letter of intent, Ill be there in the fall. Anyone else going to be in Richmond?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
The VCU's website said that you needed to be chosen from interviewers in order to apply to the D5 program. Is this correct?

mprover said:
I sent in my letter of intent, Ill be there in the fall. Anyone else going to be in Richmond?

I just got my acceptance letter to the Physiology Cert. Program yesterday. Does anyone know the relative size of the incoming Phys. class and the tuition cost? Thanks! :)

FrVerona said:
I just got my acceptance letter to the Physiology Cert. Program yesterday. Does anyone know the relative size of the incoming Phys. class and the tuition cost? Thanks! :)

I dont know the size of the class, but the tuition, I believe is ~$9k a semester.

mprover said:
I dont know the size of the class, but the tuition, I believe is ~$9k a semester.

Thanks for the tuition estimate! :)

Here is some other program information that I received from George Ford if it helps anyone else:

1. Out-of-state tuition and fees last year were $8,624 per semester. It is
my understanding that the out-of-state tuition and fees will not go up next
year so that should be a close number.

2. The key words here are "eventually" because many Certificate students go
on to finish their MS and "academically successful" because 30 to 35% of our
Certificate students either drop out or don't meet academic standards. That
said the number of academically successful Certificate who eventually get
into med school is around 75%.

3. Many Certificate students transition into the MS program. The transition
is painless (I simply fill out a form). The basic difference is the MS
requires you to do an independent research project and write and defend a
thesis. I would be glad to answer any specific questions you might have
regarding the MS program.

4. Financial aid shoud be contacting you but if they don't their contact
info is: *Phone: (804) 828-6669;Fax: (804) 827-0060; e-mail
[email protected].

Is anyone else deliberating between VCU, Harvard Extension, BU, Georgetown and Drexel. I'm going to meet with the Univ. of Washington Dean of Admissions this Fri. to help rank the programs as they pertain to my background. Let me know if anyone has any specific opinions though. :) Particularly why VCU. Thanks!

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I did the Physiology certificate program 2 yrs ago and I just finished my MS in Physiology last month. The transition is totally painless - I don't even remember filling out a form - I just walked into Dr. Ford's office and told him about my plans. That out-of-state tuition of just under $9K is correct.

As far as drug dependence goes, I would recommend it because almost everyone takes it and it will pad your GPA. The first semester is very tough so it will help ease you into the workload (which is pretty insane but you get used to it). I made the mistake of optionally taking cellular and molecular neuroscience during my 2nd year. That class was miserable. As far as professors go, you really don't have any options. You just sign up for the class and it is only offered during one time slot and most, if not all, are team taught by up to 15 teachers (give or take a few). The programs are all essentially the same - they only vary by a class or two over the entire year. Everyone has to take the full year of biochem, but most end up taking physiology or drug dependence or even immunology. All classes, with the exception of a few times during the semester for biochem exams and cardiovascular physiology lectures, are in Sanger Hall.

I would live in either Shockoe bottom or the Fan (I prefer the Fan). Church hill is another decent area but it is kind of ghetto. I spent 6 yrs in Richmond so let me know if you guys have any other questions.

I might be biased but I always though the physiology department was the best. We had the most people and our seminars were the best - in terms of the topic, the food, and the time/day. There were about 25-30 kids that started out and a few drop off along the way. I remember returning after winter break and there were a bunch of people that were no longer with us. It is graduate school so the classes are insanely hard - it'll smack you in the face when you get there, but you get used to studying all day long. As far as M1 credit for Immuno - that's false. You don't get credit for any classes as far as I know. Good luck with everything. I'll try to check this board regularly.

One thing - Dr. Ford said that the med school admissions committee looks for a 3.4 from the certificate students - I had well over a 3.4 and a 31R MCAT and I didn't even get an interview there (I did get 3 interviews at other schools though).

VPDcurt said:
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I did the Physiology certificate program 2 yrs ago and I just finished my MS in Physiology last month. The transition is totally painless - I don't even remember filling out a form - I just walked into Dr. Ford's office and told him about my plans. That out-of-state tuition of just under $9K is correct.

As far as drug dependence goes, I would recommend it because almost everyone takes it and it will pad your GPA. The first semester is very tough so it will help ease you into the workload (which is pretty insane but you get used to it). I made the mistake of optionally taking cellular and molecular neuroscience during my 2nd year. That class was miserable. As far as professors go, you really don't have any options. You just sign up for the class and it is only offered during one time slot and most, if not all, are team taught by up to 15 teachers (give or take a few). The programs are all essentially the same - they only vary by a class or two over the entire year. Everyone has to take the full year of biochem, but most end up taking physiology or drug dependence or even immunology. All classes, with the exception of a few times during the semester for biochem exams and cardiovascular physiology lectures, are in Sanger Hall.

I would live in either Shockoe bottom or the Fan (I prefer the Fan). Church hill is another decent area but it is kind of ghetto. I spent 6 yrs in Richmond so let me know if you guys have any other questions.

I might be biased but I always though the physiology department was the best. We had the most people and our seminars were the best - in terms of the topic, the food, and the time/day. There were about 25-30 kids that started out and a few drop off along the way. I remember returning after winter break and there were a bunch of people that were no longer with us. It is graduate school so the classes are insanely hard - it'll smack you in the face when you get there, but you get used to studying all day long. As far as M1 credit for Immuno - that's false. You don't get credit for any classes as far as I know. Good luck with everything. I'll try to check this board regularly.

Hey VPDCURT. Thanks for the info. Can you comment on the biochem and physiology classes in praticular? Are they classes just for BHS students or do other students take these class sections too? Do most people opt to do the second year to get a masters?

Thanks!

mprover said:
Hey VPDCURT. Thanks for the info. Can you comment on the biochem and physiology classes in praticular? Are they classes just for BHS students or do other students take these class sections too? Do most people opt to do the second year to get a masters?

Thanks!

All of the classes (including biochem and physiology) are within the graduate school in the school of medicine. However, they are not taken with the medical students. The students consist of certificate students, masters students, and PhD students. They are all on a semester schedule. 2 semester of biochem are required for all students (they call it the "supercourse" there and it is pretty hellish).

We had about 10 students continue to get a masters. It is pretty convenient because you can get a masters while you are applying to medical school. However, when you complete the certificate, you have essentially "graduated" in that you get an actual certificate and your program is technically over. So stopping after that first year is not a problem at all. Let me know if there is anything else guys.

Hey VPDcurt,

Any suggestions for finding roomates? In praticular, where to find others who are going to be med/grad students?

thanks !

I did the MCV physiology program back in 2001. To reiterate, the program is *tough* but definetly doable with good work ethic. If you're doing the physio concentration, take something easy as your elective (i.e. Drug Dependance). I wish I had someone to give me this advice before I started. Against the program director's advice (Dr. Poland at that time), I signed up for Histology as my elective. Lets just say I've never worked so hard before in my life. The key thing is to try to get "A's" in physiology (very important class!) and in Drug dependance (pretty easy), and a "B" in biochem. This sounds easy but you really have to put in some work to bust those grades. You must try your best to get at least a 3.4. Adcomm's don't care that you're program was hard as hell...they want to see good grades.

Although I forgot most of what I learned by the time I started med school (2004), the one thing I came away with from the MCV program was *refined study skills.* Most students starting med school find it extremely difficult at first b/c of the pace and volume of material. I really credit the MCV for not only helping me to get into med school but also to excel in my first year classes.

In terms of housing, I lived in Carrytown apartments located at the end of the fan district ($495 for 1 bedroom...but that was 2001). I would recommend the fan district for anyone thinking of doing the program. Hope that helps. Good luck!

doctorsaib and vpdcurt--
i appreciate your insights re vcu

earlier in the week i was accepted into the anatomy program of study, beginning fall '05; im moving down to richmond this summer and have been looking at apartments

im having a hard time pinpointing in what areas/neighborhoods i should be looking--from your suggestions, the fan and shockoe bottom are good areas

my main concern is distance to classes (i wont have a vehicle)
second concern is safety

doctorsaib, you mentioned the carrytown apts--could you elaborate/describe your living experience there?

thankyou
mp

CUarzt said:
doctorsaib and vpdcurt--

earlier in the week i was accepted into the anatomy program of study, beginning fall '05; im moving down to richmond this summer and have been looking at apartments

im having a hard time pinpointing in what areas/neighborhoods i should be looking--from your suggestions, the fan and shockoe bottom are good areas

second concern is safety

doctorsaib, you mentioned the carrytown apts--could you elaborate/describe your living experience there?

thankyou
mp

I lived in the Fan for the certificate program, and will be living there this fall as an M1. If you are worried about getting to school from there w/o a car don't worry. I did it and had no problem. I biked much of the school year, but even if you don't bike much the bus system here is really good. I would suggest that if you are going to live in the Fan live somewhere near Robinson. Most of the bars are around here as well as bus stops. PM me if you have any questions.

CUarzt said:
doctorsaib and vpdcurt--

second concern is safety

thankyou
mp

Carrytown apartments wasn't too bad. I mean most of Richmond is old, so relatively speaking, it wasn't too bad. I had a car so I used to drive to school but you always have the option of public transportation (ie. bus). If I remember correctly, there was a bus stop right in front of the building and its in a nicer part of town, so safety was never an issue for me. Take care!

DOCTORSAIB said:
Carrytown apartments wasn't too bad. I mean most of Richmond is old, so relatively speaking, it wasn't too bad. I had a car so I used to drive to school but you always have the option of public transportation (ie. bus). If I remember correctly, there was a bus stop right in front of the building and its in a nicer part of town, so safety was never an issue for me. Take care!

Is parking a problem by the medical campus? About how much a month , was parking by the medical campus?

Thanks

mprover said:
Is parking a problem by the medical campus? About how much a month , was parking by the medical campus?

Thanks

Most students parked in the parking garage at the bottom of the hill. Cost was 1-2 dollars/day. Not sure if its increased yet. I must warn you though, leaving your car after 5pm in that lot was not recommended due to safety issues. One of my classmates car was broken into and there were several other similar stories. Take care!

mprover said:
Hey VPDcurt,

Any suggestions for finding roomates? In praticular, where to find others who are going to be med/grad students?

thanks !

i am also headed to Richmond in the fall for the physiology cert. program. i would be thankful for any advice- particularily on how to find grad roomies in related depts. thanks!

cville said:
i am also headed to Richmond in the fall for the physiology cert. program. i would be thankful for any advice- particularily on how to find grad roomies in related depts. thanks!

Here is a link to VCU's housing database online. There are message boards, etc, that might help you find a roommate. Other than that, I don't know where else you could look.

anyone headed into the anatomy program of study?

...seems the majority of those in this thread are physio folks, and im curious to see who my classmates in anatomy may be...

Has anyone recieved a financial packet in the mail? Im just wondering because I havent heard anything from them.

mprover--i assume you got my private message about the financial info i had after a telephone call with their office, so ill continue with that

around the 23rd of june (roughly), i rec'd an email from the financial aid folks, letting me know that my award packages had been posted online

the email contains a link to the student accounts webpage (which can also be found through the vcu website)

i was surprised it was up in late june, since the rep i spoke to at the finaid office told me it was processed in the third week of june and then awards were posted in early july

i suggest giving them a call if you havent done so already

hope this helps,
mp

I'll be attending the certificate program at VCU in the fall, as a microbiology/immunology student. Any advice on classes?

certainly not from me (i assume you mean what classes to take): im in the anatomy program, and it seems our classes are set without much leeway and picking involved

maybe email the professors of the classes youre looking at and find out what book is used in that class to give you an idea of what to expect; and dont forget that the fall '05 schedule of classes is posted online

mp

Does anybody know the most difficult VCU programs to gain acceptance to and the most easiest?