VCU students, do u bevel on lingual surf. of class IV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brush

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, can someone tell me please if u r required to do bevel on lingual surface of class IV cavity?? :confused:
some schools recommend it & some don't. I need to know if VCU recommend that.
Please answer, i need ur help.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They should. It helps blend shade discrepancies; it cuts & exposes enamel rod endings, which bond much more strongly than their axial surfaces; and it increases bonding surface area.
Hey I know all that stuff haha but they mentioned that we don't need to do it. So far we've only prepped from the lingual so I'm guessing that the shade discrepancies wouldn't matter for that. I agree with exposing more enamel rods but they still don't make us do it. We do it for class IV and class V.

just because your clinical instructors dont have enough faith in your hand skills to place a nice shallow angled bevel doesnt mean you shouldnt be learning to do so. it really makes for greater marginal integrity and increased bond longevity. (that is, not just the initial strength, but strength of the bond over time).

inexperience is the only reason i can come up with for telling students not to bevel lingually accessed class IIIs, especially if they have you doing so on IVs and Vs. did they give any other rational?

I honestly do not remember which is probably a bad thing. But they definitely mentioned that it was not necessary when I showed them my prep.

BTW, they make us do everything to perfection, as a d-school should. I find it odd that they would randomly have us cutting corners or missing an important step. Our operative instructor can be quite anal about making a correct prep.

Wouldn't placing a lingual bevel on a maxillary class III potentially create an issue whereby occluding on said bevel may cause material fracture?