VCU Summer Institute in Psychiatry for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudoknot

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just wanted to pass this along. I'm just an M1 here so I'm not involved in running this program or anything like that. However, if you have questions, post them here and I can try to find out the answers for you.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Summer Institute in Psychiatry for Medical Students

Sunday, July 6, 2008 – Friday, July 11, 2008
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Richmond, Virginia

OVERVIEW: This will be the third Summer Institute in Psychiatry for Medical Students hosted by the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine. The purpose of the Institute is to provide medical students with an exciting and intensive experience in Psychiatry, covering topics that are of interest to trainees, but may not be presented in a traditional curriculum. The Institute will consist of seminars and clinical experiences provided by nationally and internationally known experts in the field of Psychiatry. Students will receive a Certificate of Participation at the end of the program. Students entering the M-II through M-IV years are eligible, up to a maximum enrollment of 20.

INTENDED AUDIENCE: The Institute is open to all medical students nationally.

THE PROGRAM: Each day of the program is organized around a central theme, followed by dinners and a variety of social activities.

Sun, 7/6 – Welcome- Pool Party/Food – Joel J. Silverman, MD, Chairman

Mon, 7/7- Topic: Psychiatry Residency Training

8:30A – Continental Breakfast
9A – The Components of Psychiatry Residency- John R.Urbach, MD, Director of Residency Training
10A - Chief Resident Roundtable
11A – Tour IP, OP, VTCC
Noon – Lunch
1-4P – Team Assignments: ER/IP/OP/C-L/ VTCC
Dinner – With Faculty and Residents – Sette (Tentative)
Nightlife TBA

Tues, 7/8 - Topic: Current Issues in Psychiatry

9A – Trauma and the Mental Health Response- Antony Fernandez, MD, Chief of Service, VAMC Psychiatry
10A – Using Genetics to Understand Psychiatric Illness – John Hettema, MD, PhD, Associate Professor of Psychiatry
11A – Brain Imaging in Psychiatry- Anand K. Pandurangi, MD, Division Chair, Inpatient Psychiatry
Noon- Lunch
1-4P – Team Assignments: ER/IP/OP/C-L/VTCC
Dinner – Cous Cous (Tentative)
Nightlife TBA

Wed, 7/9 – Topic: Med-Psych 1

8A- Continental Breakfast
8:30 -11A - Team Assignments- ER/IP/OP/C-L/VTCC
11A- Biopsychosocial Aspects of HIV- Rochelle Klinger, MD, Clinical Faculty
Noon - Lunch
1P – Suicide Assessment – Alex Trutia, MD, Director, Medical Psychiatry Service
2P- Boundary Issues in Psychiatry – James L. Levenson, MD, Vice-Chair and Division Chair, C-L Psychiatry
Afternoon and evening unscheduled (free time)

Thurs, 7/10 – Topic: Med-Psych 2

9A – Psychopharmacology in Pregnancy and the Postpartum – Katherine Smith, D.O., Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
10A – Psychosocial Aspects of Transplantation - Douglas P. Gibson, PsyD, Transplant Psychiatry
11A – The 3D’s of Geriatric Psychiatry – Sultan Lakhani, M.D., Director, Geriatric Psychiatry
Noon- Lunch
1-4P – C-L/Tx Eval/Med-Psych Clinic/ER/VTCC
Dinner – Kuba Kuba (Tentative)
Nightlife TBA

Fri, 7/11 – Topic: Therapies Beyond

7:30A – Continental Breakfast
8A – ECT Video
9-11A – Clinical Observation of ECT- Veronica Matthews, M.D., Co-Director of ER Psychiatry and ECT.
11A – The Impaired Physician – Patricia Pade, MD, Medical Director of Virginia Health Practitioners’ Intervention Program
Noon- Lunch/Concluding Comments

FEES: The Institute is offered free-of-charge to all students. Continental breakfasts and lunches will be served daily, as will three dinners. Housing for out-of-town students will be provided through the Virginia Commonwealth University dormitories. The students will be responsible for travel expenses.

COMMENTS FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS:

“This program was an incredible experience. I am so thankful that I was given this opportunity. Every day, I gained an enormous amount of information, which intensified my interest in psychiatry even more; in addition, I gained a deep appreciation for all of the sub fields and aspects of this career. All of the participating faculty was gracious, informative, nice and really receptive to our questions, concerns and interests. I intend to recommend this program to everyone I know in medical school with praise.”

“The thing that impressed me the most about the Institute was the genuine receptiveness of everyone involved. From the very beginning, it was quite clear that we were welcome here to learn, to explore, and to contribute. The faculty was among the most cordial and knowledgeable I have met and I felt privileged to get the chance to learn from them and to talk with them. This has been one of the best experiences I have had in medicine. I can truly say it was an honor to participate.”

“An excellent opportunity to learn so much about Psychiatry. I learned an enormous amount of information. It was fantastic and gave me opportunities that I did not dream of”.

“It has certainly opened my eyes to the number of offerings in Psychiatry. It would be nice to make other students aware of this opportunity. I could certainly have gone another week.”

“I would definitely recommend this Institute to my peers. The balance between classroom lecture and clinical exposure was very good. The enthusiasm and energy of the faculty and staff were great and the teaching was done in a way that without prior knowledge you learn a lot and understand. The most important part to me was learning about the different and various job opportunities in Psychiatry and being able to dispel so many myths. This was a wonderful learning experience. Thank you for making us feel so welcome and for being such great teachers. This Institute was great – a great week!!”

APPLICATION/ADMISSION: Students may apply by filling out and returning the information below. All applications should include a one-page essay as to why the student would like to be admitted to the Institute. Students will be accepted on the basis of merit. The deadline for applications is FRIDAY, JUNE 6, 2008.

SUMMER INSTITUTE IN PSYCHIATRY FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS APPLICATION

Name:__________________________________________________
Graduation Year:_______________________
Medical School:_______________________________________________________________________________
Mailing Address:______________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________
Email:______________________________________________
Phone Number:____________________________

Please complete the above and return it with a one-page essay as to why you would like to be admitted to the Institute to:

Yaacov R. Pushkin, MD
Virginia Commonwealth University Department of Psychiatry
P.O. Box 980268
Richmond, VA 23298-0268
Telephone: (804) 828-0762
Email: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.