VCU vs The Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicspeed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a similar poll in the predent forum but felt I'd get better advice here. I'm truly divided between the schools. Everytime I try to make a "final decision," I end up thinking only about the other school and what I would be missing. I have until Jan 15 (like most of you) but really think I need to decide which school is best for me within the next week. So I would really appreciate some help... here are a few questions for both schools.

1. How are the professors? Are they focused on the success of the student or on their own research?

2. How is the patient exposure? What number of patients do you personally have? Is it difficult to schedule time for them? Do you have your own chair?

3. (for D4's) do you feel prepared to enter the dental field both didactically and clinically?

4. How many students from each class specialize? What is the specialty placement rate?

5. Where do most students live? Do you rent or own? Are you given enough in loans to comfortably live?

Anyother input or advice would GREATLY be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year and have a first year buddy at VCU..... so here goes.

OSU doesn't have profs that only care about research, but they have a variety of profs. All can be considered nice and helpful. Some poeple may not like a certain prof due to practical results etc. But all are there to help.

As far as clinic, OSU begins right off with a clinical course that includes 3 hrs a week in clinic. Includung sealants and fluoride varnish to Head Start kids. as well as working on each other.

I dont know of anybody who lacks the req to graduate. I am sure at both schools that if you are willing and work hard you will find the patients you need. As far as specializing, i feel like that is more on you than the school. the science on the boards hasn't changed much and dental anatomy etc, is the same everywhere.

I know at VCU, you take the boards after year 1, so dont expect to do much else during the 1st year besides science classes.

married people buy and single poeple rent on campus. OSU allows for budget increases where as others may not. oh and how comfortable can you feel about dentistry when you have only the reqs? I mean, after 5 endo procedures are you really ready for a tough endo in a timely manner in practice? good luck

oh and how comfortable can you feel about dentistry when you have only the reqs? I mean, after 5 endo procedures are you really ready for a tough endo in a timely manner in practice? good luck

What exactly do you mean? Are you saying you cant feel too prepared to enter the profession with only the reqs? (I agree with you if that is your point)