VCU vs UCONN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who.DAT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering both VCU and UCONN for dental school (admission depending) and I was wondering if anyone has any insight about either/both of these schools. I get that UCONN is cheaper through getting in state after a year, but if anyone has an opinion or experience with these schools I would love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad.

UCONN. I've heard that VCU has been a little lacking in their clinical exposure

UConn. They have a medical-based curriculum (first 1.5 years you’re with the medical students), team-based learning, in-state tuition after the first year, updated technology (sims lab and the large iPads to view the entire body), small class size, one large final after the 10-week block along with small quizzes each week, etc etc. I have a few friends who attend and they absolutely love the school. I’m hoping to get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCONN. I've heard that VCU has been a little lacking in their clinical exposure
Where'd you hear that? I only ever heard the opposite before applying. The clinics are packed every day and as far as I've heard all the upperclassmen have plenty of patients and get tons of experience, well beyond graduation requirements.

I go to VCU now, feel free to pm me!

I'm strongly considering both VCU and UCONN for dental school (admission depending) and I was wondering if anyone has any insight about either/both of these schools. I get that UCONN is cheaper through getting in state after a year, but if anyone has an opinion or experience with these schools I would love to hear it.
Feel free to message me about UConn!

Last I read, UCONN has more dental grads doing residency because they don't get enough clinical exposure during their 4 yrs. To me, even if you save some mulla by changing residency after 1st year, you'll prob be spending that money on residency. You can do more research to confirm.

Last I read, UCONN has more dental grads doing residency because they don't get enough clinical exposure during their 4 yrs. To me, even if you save some mulla by changing residency after 1st year, you'll prob be spending that money on residency. You can do more research to confirm.

Don't most GPR/AEGD pay you? And if you're going after a specialty, having saved money on the Pre-doctoral portion of studies only helps right?

Don't most GPR/AEGD pay you? And if you're going after a specialty, having saved money on the Pre-doctoral portion of studies only helps right?

My bad, UCONN pays 48k for first and 50k for second year. Maybe not too bad to help start paying off the $329,668+ 7% interest.