VCU vs Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dogtor55

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I previously picked VCU for medical school but I was just accepted to the University of Wisconsin off of the waitlist and am looking for advice. I would love people's opinions especially former students of these schools!

VCU
Pros
  • Curriculum seems intuitive/systems-based which I like
  • Dedicated Step prep time (6wks for Step1, 4wks for Step 2)
  • Home hospital
  • Has 3+3 program where you can do 3 years of medical school and then match into VCU's residency for certain specialties (I am thinking IM).
  • Slightly cheaper COL (plus give more $/year for living expenses)
  • Have friends from grad school who recently moved to the area and kind of a 2nd family type support-system here
  • More diversity (student and patient-population wise)
  • Weather (I hate humidity/heat but after summer it's like Fall weather year-round)
  • P/F for pre-clinical

Cons
  • Students seemed more into the city-life and I would likely live about 20 min out
  • Sounds like med students do more of their own thing vs do stuff with each other
  • Have heard mixed reviews about their remediation policy (not sure how it works exactly).
  • Staff via email are not as responsive and sometimes come off unfriendly.
  • School seems kind of disorganized (website doesn't show up correct, mixed capitalization in emails, etc)- I know it's minor but wondering if it is a theme
  • VERY expensive ($384K total).
University of Wisconsin
Pros
  • Highly ranked (T50)
  • Staff seem very responsive and kind (not sure if it's indicative of other things)
  • May be able to get a scholarship
  • P/F for pre-clinical
  • Slightly higher step scores
  • Have a couple of friends within driving distance
  • May have better research opportunities

Cons
  • Less diversity both within the class and patient population (I am Hispanic so I worry about it).
  • COL is slightly higher than VA
  • Was unable to visit so not sure how I feel about the area and never got to interact with other admitted students
  • Snow/Winter

Summary: VCU is near "family", has a great curriculum and great weather, but the COA is high and the school seems disorganized. UW-Madison is highly ranked, may have better research opportunities and more helpful staff, but the weather seems rough, there is likely lower diversity and I didn't have the chance to visit for a "vibe" check. I would love all y'all's thoughts as I try and decide!

Members don't see this ad.

Madison is one of the best places to live in the US. Trust me, you’re gonna be spending a lot of time indoors in med school. I am from the SW, and have a Hispanic friend who did residency in Wisconsin, and decided to stay because she loved it.

Wisconsin is the same cost if you are OOS.

If you prefer a warmer area, just go to VCU. It's nice that you'd have some good friends close by to help you out too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm a recently admitted student to Wisconsin and I am also trying to decide between Wisconsin and another school!
DM me.

Thank you for everyone's input! If anyone else or any current students have thoughts please feel free to add them! :)

Two very good choices.
Honestly depends on where you want to match, as well as cost and support system.
Where is your support system currently located? Is Cost of Attendance a big factor for you? I usually vouch for the cheapest option unless one has significant edge over the other.
Wisconsin matches well to the Midwest, it's well known in the Midwest and if you want to practice in the Midwest it's a great choice. VCU slightly better chances matching in the Northeast.
Also what kind of weather do you prefer? Be prepared to freeze in Wisconsin, and I mean FREEZE during the winter months (but great place to go ice skating when the lakes freeze over), and if you want more mild weather, VCU.
What kind of patient population do you want? There is a high white population in Madison, less diverse than Chicago or Milwaukee. Can't speak for VCU but I imagine it will be more diverse.

Thanks for your advice- I appreciate it!
  • Match Goals: I am from CA and I am hoping to match back towards the West Coast (WA, OR, maybe CO) so I would think neither one gives me a leg up to do that, but if anyone knows otherwise feel free to chime in! [Neither wins!]
  • Support System: I do have what I consider to be my second family that lives about a half hour away from VCU but I also have some friends in MN and MI that are within driving distance.
  • Weather: Yikes-FREEZE in all caps is kind o f intimidating :oops: I do prefer Fall/Autumn weather and don't love snow but I have lived in Vermont and other places with bad weather so I know the name of the game. I also dislike humidity but I feel like those months don't last as long plus AC can do a lot. [VCU wins!]
  • COA: Wisconsin would likely be cheaper for me over the 4 years and cost is a big factor for me since I will be using all loans. [Wisconsin wins!]
I am still so torn because I think the factors all even each other out so if anyone else has any advice I would love to hear it! Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
You should really just fly up to wisconsin and feel it out. Seems like neither has a definite edge

If you’re interested in a competitive specialty, current students mention there are abundant amount of research opportunities for students during Second Look. There are a variety of research available too depending what you’re looking for such as online stuff, wet lab, etc. A student I talked with said he cold email a physician in the specialty he was interested in and was able to join their research project.

As for matching back in the west coast, you already have a leg up due to being from there. It all depends on you now because any med school will have the resources and support to match you where you want to go and what specialty you’re interested.

As for city wise, I lived in Milwaukee, which is the other bit city in Wisconsin, for the past 7 years, Madison has a better vibe. Madison has a predominantly white population but UWSMPH has an opportunity to do all of your core clerkships in Milwaukee, which is considered more diverse, at Aurora St Luke’s Hospital, through TRIUMPH. Even if you deicide not to do TRIUMPH, students can still rotate some of their clerkship there. A little about St Luke’s, it is a community hospital but they have high patient volumes and they do have residents. A graduating student did his clerkships there and said all the residents and attending a were chill which made it less stressful.

When do you have to decide by? I stand by chilly_md but I would suggest talking to current students at each school.

Thank you all for your replies and helpful input! As of late Thursday afternoon I have decided to go to Wisconsin since they reached out with a scholarship offer and it seems they may have a leg up when it comes to research and the city feel/safety. I can brave the cold for a few years! Thank you all again! :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users