UIC (Chicago) vs U Wisconsin (Madison)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Timetocrunch

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am stuck deciding between these two right now. I was hoping people could share their opinions and if any current or former students could comment on what they think of their time in the program. At the moment I think I am most interested in Neurosurgery then a close second Orthopedics, followed pretty far behind by Optho and EM.

UIC (Chicago)

Pros

-In Chicago, I am in state and live blocks from the campus.

-My partner and I both have family here and a good life already set up.

-Slightly cheaper COA ($356,780 ) than UW

-matches well, although there aren’t tons of Neurosurgery matches

-Has a special program on top of the curriculum that I am especially interested in and think I will get into


Cons

-Large class size, and tons of other medical students in the city means research/specialty specific opportunities may be limited

-Cost of living in Chicago is on the rise.

-P/F preclinicals but ranked based on quartiles



University of Wisconsin

Pro’s

-environment seems more friendly and less hands off

-P/F preclinicals, ranked year 3 and 4 but its essentially top 30% for AOA and everyone else.

-Shortened preclinical

-slightly higher ranking on admit. Not sure if this matters at all.

-Nature

Cons
-no public match list that I could find

-Not in Chicago

-I have no real connection to Madison

-I would need a car.

-CoA ($410,631 total which is $53,000 more)

-Not sure what kind of research opportunities exist.


I have a girlfriend who would be moving with me. It wouldn’t be a problem for her to get a job in Madison but I would be dragging her away from her family in Chicago. It’s only a few hours away but still.

Does UW give me any real benefit in the match over UIC? I assume both can keep me competitive for residencies in the midwest but also don’t have access to UW’s match list so not sure what to make of them.
 
Last edited:
70% of all medical students switch specialty plans. No guarantee you'll make it to neurosurgery, so you should pick a program that gives you the most options cheaply.

Do you have your significant other have wedding plans? Do you know how expensive that is?

I have difficulty believing Chicago cost of living is more expensive than Madison. What a difference OOS tuition makes.
 
70% of all medical students switch specialty plans. No guarantee you'll make it to neurosurgery, so you should pick a program that gives you the most options cheaply.

Do you have your significant other have wedding plans? Do you know how expensive that is?

I have difficulty believing Chicago cost of living is more expensive than Madison. What a difference OOS tuition makes.
True. I think both seem to offer opportunities in every speciality but its also really hard to tell when UW doesn't publish match lists.

We aren't planning on a big wedding and already have some money set aside. I also think her dad may insist on paying for it which isnt ideal but is what it is.

I dont live in madison and was just basing cost of living on some quick google searches. Madison seems to be 10-12% cheaper than Chicago. Sadly, the OOS tuition more than offsets that.

I was hoping to hear anyone's opnions on UW's medical program. Im much more familiar with UIC but Wisconsin seems to be higher ranked(?) But im not even sure if that really matters? I just want to make sure I do my due diligence and get as much info and as many options as I can before deciding.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Say ophtho or competitive specialties and I appear.

If you want a competitive specialty, you have to have a competitive application. To do that, you have to succeed. Where do you see yourself having a better chance of succeeding? If it’s being close to home, support, and places you know, cool. If you’re happier with the vibes or grading or whatever elsewhere, cool. Try to go where you’re most likely to win.

For eyes at least, their departments are on a similar level with more big names at UIC. I know nothing about the other fields, but while department strength can help at application time (assuming you actually still want to do what you do now, which changes for most people, especially neurosurgery hopefuls), it absolutely should not be a consideration over the above.
 
Say ophtho or competitive specialties and I appear.

If you want a competitive specialty, you have to have a competitive application. To do that, you have to succeed. Where do you see yourself having a better chance of succeeding? If it’s being close to home, support, and places you know, cool. If you’re happier with the vibes or grading or whatever elsewhere, cool. Try to go where you’re most likely to win.

For eyes at least, their departments are on a similar level with more big names at UIC. I know nothing about the other fields, but while department strength can help at application time (assuming you actually still want to do what you do now, which changes for most people, especially neurosurgery hopefuls), it absolutely should not be a consideration over the above.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the input!