Vcu Vs. Wvu? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalhunny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys ....pleaaaaase give me feedback on these two schools.

Pros and cons of each one. The deadline for responding is soon and i cant decide between the two.

I love VCU but it's more expensive than WVU.. I also love WVU also but I'm worried about patient base and diversity.

Please help me.....I'm so stressed. :( This is a big decision and I need all the input I can get

Members don't see this ad.

Awwww, you're so depressed! You poor baby! You've been accepted to 2 dental schools and you're having such a hard time! I feel soooo sorry for you! Apparently, your definition of stressed differs from mine. You see, If I was accepted to one dental school, let alone 2, I would not be stressed at all, because at least I would know there would be a DDS on the end of my name someday. So I'm so sorry if I can't sympathize with you and feel your pain. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for you for getting in and having a choice in the matter, but for you to claim that you are "stressed" really frustrates all of us out there who are running to our mailboxes everyday (hearts beating out of our chests hoping for good news). So please, don't refer to yourself as stressed anymore, because you clearly don't understand the meaning.

dentalhunny said:

Pros and cons of each one. The deadline for responding is soon and i cant decide between the two.

I love VCU but it's more expensive than WVU.. I also love WVU also but I'm worried about patient base and diversity.

Please help me.....I'm so stressed. :( This is a big decision and I need all the input I can get

i'm sorry that you haven't been accepted yet...but, this person does have a logical reason to be stressed..it's a very important decision to make for them apparently...suck it up and don't let people's posts about already being accepted to multiple schools get you ticked off...it won't help the acceptance letters come any quicker..we don't want dentalhunny to not get help in making her decision and we do want you to get accepted eventually....i vote for wvu

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input berryfremont and also for understanding. This is a big decision for me as I am about to close one chapter of my life and start a new one. It's a matter of where I am going to be for the next four years of my life and I want it to be a smart choice. Dental school is already going to be stressful as it is, I would like to ensure that I atleast i'm comfortable in the institution that I choose.

Hey Dying, there's no reason to be so mean about this. Choosing a dental school is a huge challenge because you have to find a place that is going to suit you for four years. I'm sure you will get an acceptance, so be nice and wait until its your turn to decide.

To the OP, you've just got to find a school where you'll be happy at for 4 years. Personally, I'd vote for WVU because it's a really pretty area and I hear that the school is pretty decent. But I know nothing on VCU, so that's just my two cents.

Good luck deciding! :luck:

Hey Dentalhunny,
I am really sorry if I came off as rude before. I understand that this is a huge decision for you, and you have every right to seek advice on this forum. When I read your post yesterday, I had just opened a rejection letter and was feeling incredibly stressed, so seeing you state that you were stressed upset me and I took out my frustration on you. That was a ridculous thing to do, and I hope you can accept my apology. This application process has brought out a side of myself that I didn't even know existed, and I've never experienced anxiety like this before. I clearly need to find another way to vent. Good luck with your decison.

beannaithe said:
Hey Dying, there's no reason to be so mean about this. Choosing a dental school is a huge challenge because you have to find a place that is going to suit you for four years. I'm sure you will get an acceptance, so be nice and wait until its your turn to decide.

To the OP, you've just got to find a school where you'll be happy at for 4 years. Personally, I'd vote for WVU because it's a really pretty area and I hear that the school is pretty decent. But I know nothing on VCU, so that's just my two cents.

I bet that both of you will get in to a d-school because of your stress about not getting in. This shows that you really want this and I don't see you two quitting even if it takes another year (hopefully, it will not). Let me know how it goes....I can tell ya'll are genuine people and I want to see you two drillin on some teeth.

dentalhunny said:

I can tell you from experience that the WVU patient base is POOR and I know several 3rd & 4th yr students up there who are fighting for patients and they are having to borrow extra money to pay for patients bills to get them to come to the school.

Its not that theres too many dentists in the area, what the problem is, its that WVU's fees are VERY high. Did you notice the new 5 million dollar labs? Well patient fees are not really discounted and the community knows this!

Also, did you notice that there are only like 45 chairs in the lab?

Well there are 100 3rd and 4th year students. They fight for chair time when they get a patient.

Its really suckin up there, but what can you do?

beannaithe said:

whats so pretty about WVU??? Its the only school that I got accepted to so I have to go there. The town is a dump and it takes 35 minutes to go 4 miles at 5:00 in the evening. So I would really like to know whats so beautiful up there?

here are my two cents... i was going to go off on dying earlier.. but since he apologiezed its all good :)

you have to decide on which atmosphere you really liked more. i had a tough time choosing last year but i ended up choosing vcu mainly for the money. but anyways vcu has a fairly friendly atmosphere, the people are great. labs are being redone year by year. so by the time you get here you will have the best? or it might be a year after you. patients aren't really that bad cause our rates are usualy 50% of outside rates.. you will also get a solid clinical expierence here ... now for WVU -- is that patient base problem that big? i mean they still have people graduating right??

Dying2beDDS said:
Hey Dentalhunny,
I am really sorry if I came off as rude before. I understand that this is a huge decision for you, and you have every right to seek advice on this forum. When I read your post yesterday, I had just opened a rejection letter and was feeling incredibly stressed, so seeing you state that you were stressed upset me and I took out my frustration on you. That was a ridculous thing to do, and I hope you can accept my apology. This application process has brought out a side of myself that I didn't even know existed, and I've never experienced anxiety like this before. I clearly need to find another way to vent. Good luck with your decison.

Hi Dying2beDDS. I accept your apology. Good luck with your application process & don't give up hope. Eventually, everything will work itself out. I decided on WVU because it's cheaper. I love both schools equally so I'm better off going to the cheaper one. Saving $$ is always a good thing!

Dental Jedi you heard that ppl are fighting over patients? Hmmm, that's def. not a good thing. But I suppose if students are graduating they must be fulfilling the practical requirements. I heard that the school has a weird grading system where an A- starts at 93%. I'm not sure though. Does anyone know anything abt that?

to let you know..

the grading system at vcu is

90-100 - A
80-90 - B
70-80 - C
less than 70 --- Fail=remediate.

dentalhunny said:
Hi Dying2beDDS. I accept your apology. Good luck with your application process & don't give up hope. Eventually, everything will work itself out. I decided on WVU because it's cheaper. I love both schools equally so I'm better off going to the cheaper one. Saving $$ is always a good thing!

Dental Jedi you heard that ppl are fighting over patients? Hmmm, that's def. not a good thing. But I suppose if students are graduating they must be fulfilling the practical requirements. I heard that the school has a weird grading system where an A- starts at 93%. I'm not sure though. Does anyone know anything abt that?

as far as the grading, yes its back to high school rules. you need a 93 or higher for an A and I think a 85 or up for a B. Most of my friends up there get B's and C's, definitely not many A's.

Yes people are graduating. As far as how, WVU had to change the lab grading policies since everyone is having a hard time gettin patients. You no longer have to do X amount of Crowns, or X amount of fillings to graduate. Now its an overall scheme that I cannot understand and I am not sure the students in the walk-thru understood either, at least they could not explain it to me.

They are all fighting for patients and I HIGHLY ADVISE out of staters to avoid the school. Most of the patients are basically dental student's family members.

So if your in-state, get real cozy with your family and friends the next year so in your third year you will have some patients to call upon. Also, WVU makes you solely responsible for 80% of your patients from what I hear and if you are a 3rd year student and schedule a good procedure from a walk-in I have heard that 4th year students can take these patients from them if they havent been seen yet. Therefore, its becoming really secretive up there.

I am not looking forward to it. Looking very forward to becoming a DDS however.

I was also told that 12 people walked last year at graduation but did not get their diplomas. they had to do extra clinical work that summer before being awarded their degrees.

Now realize thats 12/50. Too high for me!

I'm not sure if you've already decided on WVU or not but here's my input. I don't know much about the dental school at wvu at all, but I do know the school overall and the area. I've lived in pittsburgh my whole life and my best friend went to wvu for undergrad. It's a great place to go undergrad bc morgantown is a party town and there's so much school spirit. I'm not sure however how much grad & professional students care about partying and school spirit (maybe some). Morgantown is gross if you ask me and there's not a lot to do there. I just visited Richmond and I thought it was really cute. I definitely want to rent a house in the fan or careytown at some point. Anyway, in regards to location Richmond is far better--1.5 hr from the beach and close to the mountains for skiing. I'm pretty sure I'm choosing VCU over University of Maryland. Good Luck!

jcyp20 said:
I'm not sure if you've already decided on WVU or not but here's my input. I don't know much about the dental school at wvu at all, but I do know the school overall and the area. I've lived in pittsburgh my whole life and my best friend went to wvu for undergrad. It's a great place to go undergrad bc morgantown is a party town and there's so much school spirit. I'm not sure however how much grad & professional students care about partying and school spirit (maybe some). Morgantown is gross if you ask me and there's not a lot to do there. I just visited Richmond and I thought it was really cute. I definitely want to rent a house in the fan or careytown at some point. Anyway, in regards to location Richmond is far better--1.5 hr from the beach and close to the mountains for skiing. I'm pretty sure I'm choosing VCU over University of Maryland. Good Luck!

Morgantown is nasty, but I look forward to becoming a dentist there!

I think it will be rough being in a party town when all I will have time for is class, commute, study, sleep.