Vcu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, I will be attending VCU in the Fall, and I was wondering if I could enlist the advice of the current students. I am planning to visit Richmond several times between now and then to look for a house. From what I have read there seems to be several different sections of Richmond. Could someone, or several, breakdown the different areas of Richmond so that it would save me a ton of time when looking for places to stay in the area. I am looking to rent a house and would like to be as close to the school as possible, but at the same time be in a nice safe area. Thanks for your help. I am planning on attending there, and one of the MAIN reasons I chose VCU was due to how friendly the students were when I visited there each time. I look forward to meeting all of you. Good luck with the rest of your semester!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to VCU! I'm a first year so here is what I think: the city is broken up into north, east, south, west, downtown, fan area, and other. My class lives in all areas. Downtown living is convienient. You're close to school and probally can catch the bus instead of drive. I acutally live downtown and catch the bus to school. You pay for the luxury of living downtown though. A lot of folks live in the west end, and that seems to be a "safe" area to live in. You have to commute to school and battle with I-64 and I-95. The southside and eastend have mixed reviews. There are nice places with great affordable houses you just have to look a little harder maybe. The fan is pretty much downtown but gets its own name. From my classmates experiences, don't move to the fan. Its filled with undergrades, you'll live in an old house and pay cheap rent, but you get what you pay for.
So...there are plenty of areas to find a nice house. Don't get caught up in the hype and think you must live in a certain area. You're starting early so you'll be able to make some good choices. When are you heading down?

Well I am planning to head down several times over the next few months. The stink of it is that we won't move till June, but I would like to secure a house before then. So I guess I will have to see what comes about. Thank you for all the info! That really helps alot. If you had to start over, would you move to the same area that you did or to another area of richmond? Also, did you find that most ppl are renting? Do you know many that have bought a house there? (I don't know anything about the housing market there...) thanks again for all your help!

Welcome to VCU! I'm a first year so here is what I think: the city is broken up into north, east, south, west, downtown, fan area, and other. My class lives in all areas. Downtown living is convienient. You're close to school and probally can catch the bus instead of drive. I acutally live downtown and catch the bus to school. You pay for the luxury of living downtown though. A lot of folks live in the west end, and that seems to be a "safe" area to live in. You have to commute to school and battle with I-64 and I-95. The southside and eastend have mixed reviews. There are nice places with great affordable houses you just have to look a little harder maybe. The fan is pretty much downtown but gets its own name. From my classmates experiences, don't move to the fan. Its filled with undergrades, you'll live in an old house and pay cheap rent, but you get what you pay for.
So...there are plenty of areas to find a nice house. Don't get caught up in the hype and think you must live in a certain area. You're starting early so you'll be able to make some good choices. When are you heading down?

Thanks for the info. I am also heading to VCU. I have no idea as to what i will do-- buy or rent. However, i would appreciate your feedback. What do you think about buying a house? Do you know other students that have bought? How has it worked out for them?// What would you say is the average cost of rent-- for a 2 or 3 bedroom apart?