Vegan Veterinary Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CritterCalling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this year to veterinary schools for the first time. I am also vegan. I am hoping to hear from current vegan or vegetarian vet students as to what advice they might have on applying, school selection, and simply how this lifestyle affects your experiences in vet school. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless there is some sort of clothing inspection or eating requirements on the application, I don't see how it would affect anything. I wouldn't anticipate a school changing its curriculum to suit your life choices.

Unless there is some sort of clothing inspection or eating requirements on the application, I don't see how it would affect anything. I wouldn't anticipate a school changing its curriculum to suit your life choices.

I don't anticipate any school making changes to suit my lifestyle, as is consistent with my personal life, where I don't anticipate friends or family to make changes to suit my lifestyle. I have however heard that there are schools that have existing policies that are more progressive/humane in their use of animals in instruction. If anyone knows what schools fall into this category, I would appreciate your input.

Also, since our personal values DO affect how we experience things, I was asking for perspectives from current veg*an vet students on how it affects their experiences, whether emotionally, socially, academically, etc. If you do not fall into this category, it is probably not a question you are able to answer.

If there are any veg*an vet students that want to communicate, I'd also be happy to use email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Next time read the entire three lines of the original post so you actually understand what the OP means before posting. You won't look so foolish or prejudiced then.

This was a big concern of mine a few years ago when I finally decided that I wanted to be a vet. I did some research online and found a list of schools that were rated in order of the most humane/ethical practices in their curriculum.

I'm no longer vegan, but I'm still vegetarian and I still definitely think this is a concern. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find that list again - it's been quite a few years. However, I remember one school that was near the top of their list was Tufts and was henceforth the reason I became interested in that school.

The website was for vets for animal rights or something along that line. You can try to find it again, but I don't know what happened to their list. They based it off of several different criteria, as well.

I don't think UT does terminal surgeries, except for an elective advanced surgery class. They are also really good about accommodating dietary choices at club meetings--they usually offer vegetarian options. I think there are several people in our class who are vegetarian. Personally, I tend to eat more vegetarian than meat, and I've always had good experiences so far. :)

I'm vegetarian, and it wasn't anything I gave a second thought about when applying.

I'm not vegan, but Western U of Health has a reverence for life philosophy. I don't know how well that translates into practice and if it resonates with you, but I believe that they do not perform terminal surgeries. (However, there are quite a few schools that do not perform those now.)

Unfortunately, you may have a hard time finding someone with the perspective you are looking for. Good luck.

I'm vegetarian and I've found Penn pretty vegetarian friendly. When we get lunches through school there are always vegetarian options. There are sometimes vegan options but not always. There is an active animal welfare club and the large animal facility does a lot of welfare research. Many students are vegetarian. There were a couple things in anatomy that I questioned... not something I want to get into on here but you can PM me if you want.

I have a friend at school who is vegan and pretty into animal rights and I think she has found it somewhat lonely. I think a lot of your comfort with other people will depend on how you approach people with different viewpoints, which you seem to be doing a good job of from your post.

I'm applying this year to veterinary schools for the first time. I am also vegan. I am hoping to hear from current vegan or vegetarian vet students as to what advice they might have on applying, school selection, and simply how this lifestyle affects your experiences in vet school. Any thoughts?

I'm not Veg*an anything but I did used to work at Tufts and can say that they're probably one of the most progressive schools in the country regarding these issues. Their cafeteria is amazing in the choices they have for both vegetarians and vegans. (These are the guys that run the Elms Cafe at Tufts http://www.loavesandfishescatering.net/about.html) All of their cadaver animals are donated patients. They use alternative methods of study wherever possible (cds, video, imaging etc.). And while I think there may be one or two terminal surgeries used to teach upper level students these animals are also donated because they're in need of being euthanized etc. already. A few of my friends at Tufts are vegetarians/vegans and their opinions are always respected etc. when it comes to views on research, food, learning environments etc.

I'll also say that if by any chance you were considering applying to the bigger Ag based vet schools they may not be your best choice. I'm at UCDs vet school in Dublin where the curriculum is heavily weighted towards food animals/farming etc. Ireland's economy though is heavily based is agriculture and food production. My one friend that was a vegetarian we actually converted back to eating meat but then again they're very into from farm to plate philosophy and don't do anything on mass production scale seen in the states. (Its mostly like organic/eco-friendly/small farm friendly where the standard of care is much higher and they're all raised on natural grass pasture because its Ireland and thats actually the cheapest method etc). So you'll probably have to take into account your views/ethics when considering what kind of program you can tolerate (obviously ;0).

If there are schools you're interested in I'd recommend emailing the admissions office (they're usually super nice and accommodating!) and just ask a quick question regarding their views/philosophy on vegan issues as well as ask if they have any vegan students you could talk to for a first hand opinion.

I hope someone else with your views can shed better light than I can! Good luck - M.A.

I'm a UC Davis vet student, and I would say our campus is relatively vegan-friendly. There are tons of vegetarians, and I am friends with a handful of vegans. Perhaps it goes along with the state's more liberal reputation. At lunch talks our vegetarian line is often just as long as our "carnivore" line, and there is almost always a vegan option for those who request it (we indicate in advance if we want meat or veggie or vegan so they know what to order). I believe our only terminal surgery class is a third-year food animal surgery elective, which you probably wouldn't be interested in taking anyway :laugh: The cows that are used are "recycled" from an undergrad class that uses them for estrogen studies. The cows are destined for euthanasia anyway (can't re-enter the food chain after being injected with hormones), and the vet students get to work with them before they are put to sleep anyhow.

I'm the only vegan in my class at VMRCVM, as far as I know.

Most schools these days are very accommodating of alternatives to certain laboratories given ethical stances, and I haven't had any issues with what I'm doing so far. Then again, I'm more of a "quiet vegan" and try not to talk about it too much with colleagues because I'm so used to other people making rude comments about "preachy vegans" when in my experience more people have a problem with my lifestyle than me taking issue with theirs. I'm sure you've already dealt with that a million times over.

Though being in the mountains of Virginia, my school has several vegan-friendly restaurants and the on-campus cafeteria has some pretty amazing options that really surprised me when I visited once. I think Blacksburg is a pretty progressive pocket in Virginia as there are two Co-ops in town, several independent coffee shops (and one that bakes many vegan deserts on a daily basis!), and an international grocery store where I shop.

Since curricula about food-animal production is going to be a part of your education anywhere you go, I will echo a common sentiment that you should go wherever is most affordable and has the environment where you will feel most at ease. Going to a rural school after growing up in Washington, DC was a big change for me, but it was a nice change and I don't regret it. Hopefully you will get a good feel for schools where you visit and interview in the winter. Good luck!

Next time read the entire three lines of the original post so you actually understand what the OP means before posting. You won't look so foolish or prejudiced then.

I did read it. Critically. The base question is in regard to application, school selection, and the effect of a lifestyle choice on school experience. Speaking to the application process, I did not find any school inquiring as to one's dietary status. You merely infer a prejudice that I did not imply, unless you are referring to my prejudice toward those from the whiny 90s.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did read it. Critically. The base question is in regard to application, school selection, and the effect of a lifestyle choice on school experience. Speaking to the application process, I did not find any school inquiring as to one's dietary status. You merely infer a prejudice that I did not imply, unless you are referring to my prejudice toward those from the whiny 90s.

You are referring to the issues a dietary vegan may face, which are probably similar to those of a vegetarian. An ethical vegan will face significantly more challenges during this process.

Thank you, wikipedia :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism

You are referring to the issues a dietary vegan may face, which are probably similar to those of a vegetarian. An ethical vegan will face significantly more challenges during this process.

Thank you, wikipedia :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism

"Ethical vegans reject the commodity status of animals and the use of animal products for any purpose" By this definition, the jobs available to an ethical vegan are few and far between. SA is definitely out - pets are a commodity. FA is out. Zoological is out - commodity again. Your only choice is wildlife. Unless there is a school out there that doesn't use animals or animal products in teaching veterinary medicine, an ethical vegan will have to either abandon their beliefs or be branded a hypocrite the moment that they begin school.

why do you guys put a star in vegan? (Ve*gan)

I think it's supposed to refer to either vegetarian or vegan...like insert what you wish :laugh:

Not sure why, but I wanted to choke that asterisk while reading this thread.

star-trek-spock-choke-hold-2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's supposed to refer to either vegetarian or vegan...like insert what you wish :laugh:
Yep! I've seen this term on veggie forums, usually as "veg*n" but the additional A works, too.

I found this article when I saw the term "terminal surgery" because I wasn't quite sure what it meant: http://winnielovesus.blogspot.com/2009/02/terminal-surgery.html It gives some insight into what terminal surgery is from the perspective of a vet student and an outsider (but I'm not saying it's free of bias, that's on you!).

Edited to add: I think we can stray away from the dietary requirements here; being vegan or vegetarian is perhaps more difficult in some places than others but most university towns offer plenty of veg*n options. Not sure if this is what the OP had in mind with their inquiry, but personally I'm more curious about how the curriculum varies from school to school (particularly where the cadavers come from and any other requirements concerning surgical practice and euthanasia).

I am hoping to hear from current vegan or vegetarian vet students as to what advice they might have on applying, school selection, and simply how this lifestyle affects your experiences in vet school. Any thoughts?

I don't technically qualify because I'm not a vet student yet, but here's my $.02

I think it's a very personal decision, because only you can determine what you feel comfortable doing, and that will affect where you apply to schools.

As for the actual application, my veganism didn't come up - I didn't think it was relevant. I had researched the schools, and decided that I felt comfortable with the curriculum. I answered the ethical questions in my interview honestly, and I got in.

Life-wise, I love to cook, so I researched the nearby area to make sure grocery stores carry what I need/like, and that there are some vegan restaurants I can go to.

I am a little unsure about the social aspect - none of my friends from home are vegan, but they are all very accepting of my lifestyle. I don't know how my new classmates or professors will feel about it - though, like RadRadTerp, I tend to be more of a "quiet vegan". Glasgow University also has a vegan society (though I don't know how many vet students are actually a part of it) - so I can meet vegans outside of the vet community.

So to wrap it up - in the end, only you know where you'll be comfortable going. Like others have said, look into the schools, the area, and talk to admissions about current vegan students and the curriculum. As for how being vegan will affect your experience, I think that's up to you. There will always be people who don't understand it, but you'll find friends who accept you. I think you'll be fine.

"Ethical vegans reject the commodity status of animals and the use of animal products for any purpose" By this definition, the jobs available to an ethical vegan are few and far between. SA is definitely out - pets are a commodity. FA is out. Zoological is out - commodity again. Your only choice is wildlife. Unless there is a school out there that doesn't use animals or animal products in teaching veterinary medicine, an ethical vegan will have to either abandon their beliefs or be branded a hypocrite the moment that they begin school.

So true

I found this article when I saw the term "terminal surgery" because I wasn't quite sure what it meant: http://winnielovesus.blogspot.com/2009/02/terminal-surgery.html It gives some insight into what terminal surgery is from the perspective of a vet student and an outsider (but I'm not saying it's free of bias, that's on you!).

The girl that writes that blog has an account here, though I haven't seen her around since her residency got rolling.

Most schools don't do terminal surgeries any more, and those that do will have another option for you if you aren't comfortable with it.

I don't think being a vegan or vegetarian (not doing the asterisk thing, lol) will affect you that heavily in vet school as long as you aren't preachy about it. If you don't make a big fuss, there won't be a big fuss. People will be accommodating, even in the South. Your restaurant choices (or menu choices in a given restaurant) may be fewer in some places, so be aware of that.

Western U CVM does have a really neat 'reverence of life' philosophy. I did like that aspect of the school. However, the $260k price tag made me opt for the cheaper school, which I know was the wisest choice in the long run.

In short, I would focus first on cost, then on area/culture, then on interests, and then on the other things. Because, except for Western, most schools have 95% identical curriculum (IMO) and that won't make a huge difference for you overall.

Terminal surgeries are elective at WSU and there really aren't that many of them.

Pullman isn't very progressive, but the neighboring town (Moscow) is. There's a co-op and they have many vegan options.

As far as interacting with classmates, as long as you're not telling people they're awful for eating/using animal products I think you'll get along just fine. There's a higher percentage of veggie people in vet school so it's nothing unusual. Being really judgmental is unusual in vet school. For the most part, people respect others and their beliefs.

Madison Wisconsin is great for vegetarians, as most college towns are. As for vegan... well, it's the dairy state for a reason. Cheese EVERYWHERE.

Applying: Doesn't have to come up unless you want to. I would be careful though, because food animal is a part of vet med that you will have to learn about to some extent. If you aren't able to get past this, it will likely be a negative against you. Be prepared to explain yourself or explain how you will deal with the environment wherein most people are OK with using animals to some degree for food.

School selection: As others have said, a lot of schools will allow you to opt out of terminal surgeries, vegan or otherwise. You may not be a fan of traditional husbandry/management practices for school livestock, though. Perhaps a visit to schools that interest you will help.

Lifestyle: Bring your lunch. Don't force your views on others but be prepared to have friendly, informative discussions.

in the off chance you're thinking at all about caribbean schools as a backup, i'll post a quote from Welcome to Grenada: A Students Guide for Students: "That being said, a few people each year have a hard time adjusting. Some have dietary concerns (it is not hard to be a vegetarian; it is hard to be a vegan)" - basically just referring to the fact that things are far more limited on the island and a lot of stuff has to be imported and can get delayed.

As with any place you go to eat, usually there are alternative options available. However, just like JMO said, on an island or remote location there might not always be those options (or at least not ones that would provide any sufficient sustenance). You may want to think about that beforehand - which i believe you would.

and +1 to That Redhead's post.

I couldn't believe it when I heard the Speaker of the House refer to a female Rep as "the gentlewoman from ..." I believe the correct analog to gentleman is lady. Why is that so offensive that Congress has to reinvent the English language? In the UK, a Lady is a title of nobility.

Critter Calling,

I'm another ethical vegan applying to veterinary schools this year. Maybe we can combine our powers once we're both doctors.

I am particularly interested in spay/neuter programs because they are the most efficient way to reduce deaths/abuse of unwanted animals. 3-4 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year, and spay/neuter programs are remarkably effective at reducing the number of strays in communities that implement them. Armymutt25, sorry, I don't think you really know what you're talking about with small animal, or large animal for that matter, as related to animal rights. Animal rescue groups for large and small animals are always in GREAT NEED of lots and lots of medical care for their oft-abused rescues. See http://action.farmsanctuary.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=20781.2&printer_friendly=1 and http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/spay_day/.

I recently attended the Spay/Neuter Industry Professionals conference in Asheville NC (home of America's largest spay neuter clinic, the Humane Alliance) and many of the speakers were teaching veterinarians. What I learned from this is that (a) University of Florida has the largest shelter medicine program (b) UF and many other schools are actively phasing out terminal surgeries (c) as others have said, terminal surgeries are often optional at this point in veterinary education and (d) Spay/Neuter/Vaccinate programs are a quickly growing movement and lots of veterinarians are learning about them and becoming very interested and involved.

There has been a large swing in veterinary medicine over the last several decades away from production medicine and towards companion animal care, and veterinary schools are trending in that direction also.

A good place for me to inquire about terminal surgeries in teaching labs is if there is a professor who teaches shelter medicine, I've been emailing them directly and getting good responses.

As for all pre-vet students, look at the individual schools and see if they offer the things you want - alternatives to terminal surgeries, senior rotations at humane societies, shelter medicine programs... Or is it a mainly agricultural school? Does the school personality demonstrate a complete disrespect for endangered species, such as Louisiana state keeping a f*cking LIVE TIGER in a 20' enclosure in the center of campus?

Western U does in fact have a reverence for life policy and I wanted to apply there, but their pre-requisite list is over the top and I don't have 2 yrs or $$ to continue taking 10 classes when I already have a BA. I was corresponding with Western U about pre-requisites and they explained to me that because they have an alternative teaching structure (emphasis on problem solving in clinic labs, rather than lecture) they have more pre-reqs to ensure they are getting high quality applicants. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by preventing many great ethically-minded students from even applying. But if you have their extensive list already covered (and are comfortable living in east LA), you should definitely apply there.

As for dietary needs, it totally sucks living somewhere without good vegan restaurants, I know from experience :( and I am making a point to apply to schools on the west coast. Not sure where you live currently, but the west coast has waaaaaaaaaaay more vegan stuff. Philly also has a belligerent amount of delicious vegan food, as do Minneapolis and Madison. Wouldn't hedge my bets on anywhere else, for food.

Reactions: 1 user
But if you have their extensive list already covered (and are comfortable living in east LA), you should definitely apply there.

...and, if you are okay with attending the most expensive veterinary school in the country. Not saying you couldn't choose to go there anyway, just saying that cost *must* be on your radar as well unless you are very, very privileged (or lucky).

As for dietary needs, it totally sucks living somewhere without good vegan restaurants, I know from experience :( and I am making a point to apply to schools on the west coast. Not sure where you live currently, but the west coast has waaaaaaaaaaay more vegan stuff. Philly also has a belligerent amount of delicious vegan food, as do Minneapolis and Madison. Wouldn't hedge my bets on anywhere else, for food.

Even if there aren't any restaurants, you can still buy food and make it at home. It would be a pain to never be able to eat out (or to have very limited options) but I don't think it should be an absolute dealbreaker.

I couldn't believe it when I heard the Speaker of the House refer to a female Rep as "the gentlewoman from ..." I believe the correct analog to gentleman is lady. Why is that so offensive that Congress has to reinvent the English language? In the UK, a Lady is a title of nobility.

The term gentlewoman is the official term given to a female member of Congress, not lady. It is a synonym of lady and has been in use just as long in the English language, so not really reinventing the English language. Both lady and gentlewomen are acceptable analogs to gentleman. That's my fun fact of the day!

Does the school personality demonstrate a complete disrespect for endangered species, such as Louisiana state keeping a f*cking LIVE TIGER in a 20' enclosure in the center of campus?

The old enclosure was pretty small, and should have been updated long before it was. Thankfully, Mike the tiger currently has an enclosure that is highly respectable. ;) He (and the Mikes before him) receive environmental enrichment daily, as well as personal attention and excellent medical care as needed.
http://www.mikethetiger.com/index.php?display=habitat

BTW, the current Mike was given to LSU by a tiger rescue/sanctuary in Indiana. :thumbup:

The term gentlewoman is the official term given to a female member of Congress, not lady. It is a synonym of lady and has been in use just as long in the English language, so not really reinventing the English language. Both lady and gentlewomen are acceptable analogs to gentleman. That's my fun fact of the day!

Very fun indeed! But I don't like 'gentlewomen'... kinda has a manly ring to it.

The old enclosure was pretty small, and should have been updated long before it was. Thankfully, Mike the tiger currently has an enclosure that is highly respectable. ;) He (and the Mikes before him) receive environmental enrichment daily, as well as personal attention and excellent medical care as needed.
http://www.mikethetiger.com/index.php?display=habitat

BTW, the current Mike was given to LSU by a tiger rescue/sanctuary in Indiana. :thumbup:

Wow a tiger on campus with his own website. lol You American's have so much school spirit lol love it! Our mascot was a raven.. and we had tons and tons of those on campus. Not in cages! take that LSU! lol:laugh:

Wow a tiger on campus with his own website. lol You American's have so much school spirit lol love it! Our mascot was a raven.. and we had tons and tons of those on campus. Not in cages! take that LSU! lol:laugh:

err, idk about you, but i'm not sure i'd go to a school that had a LOOSE tiger that roamed free on campus. its hard to get into vet school as it is not to mention if one day you're going to anatomy and you become lunch! :laugh:

err, idk about you, but i'm not sure i'd go to a school that had a LOOSE tiger that roamed free on campus. its hard to get into vet school as it is not to mention if one day you're going to anatomy and you become lunch! :laugh:

... true- never thought about it that way. Maybe they could just put 'SoftPaws' on him?.... or perhaps KittenMittens?....:idea:

As for the teeth... erm maybe just a firm "NO! BAD Mike! BAD!" and a smack on the muzzle will teach 'im. Only one way to find out...

... true- never thought about it that way. Maybe they could just put 'SoftPaws' on him?.... or perhaps KittenMittens?....:idea:

As for the teeth... erm maybe just a firm "NO! BAD Mike! BAD!" and a smack on the muzzle will teach 'im. Only one way to find out...

well i *do not* volunteer to be the guinea pig in that situation :p

(my guinea pig does not volunteer to be the guinea pig either ;) haha)

haha! Love it!

I'm not vegan, but Western U of Health has a reverence for life philosophy. I don't know how well that translates into practice and if it resonates with you, but I believe that they do not perform terminal surgeries. (However, there are quite a few schools that do not perform those now.)

Unfortunately, you may have a hard time finding someone with the perspective you are looking for. Good luck.

I can confirm that Western does not do terminal surgeries and donates all of your surgical experience to rescues and shelters.

I'm vegetarian and it did concern me a lot, especially doing internships with cow doctors... it was a little weird when we'd get lunch at hardee's, and I would order a thickburger with no burger...... However, the Dr was really nice and got over his "double take" really quick, and I still consider him a friend!

Now, how do you feel about castrating cows sans sedation/pain meds?

Armymutt25, sorry, I don't think you really know what you're talking about with small animal, or large animal for that matter, as related to animal rights. Animal rescue groups for large and small animals are always in GREAT NEED of lots and lots of medical care for their oft-abused rescues.

I can see where you're coming from on this, but I just hadda say a couple of things. First of all, you want to be very careful about mixing the terms animal rights and animal rescue, as they are in a vast majority of cases very different things. Though they're not always mutually exclusive, most animal rescue groups (the ones actually interested in helping real, live animals in need, not hypothetical animals) steer clear away from the term animal rights. And while I don't doubt that there is a GREAT NEED for veterinary care for animals in need, I'm not sure that there's necessarily a GREAT NEED for veterinarians. Most animal rescue groups that don't have enough veterinary staff (if at all) don't because they can't afford them. Unless there's a bunch of veterinarians who are willing and able to provide uber cheap services, that need is not going to get fulfilled. Or esp for the animal rightsy orgs, their philosophies don't mesh well with vet med... and most vets just aren't the right fit (simply because western medicine is like the antithesis of animal rights). Veterinarians are generally very kind hearted people who love helping animals... so there's a reason why certain niches like that aren't filled. So it's not a matter of these needy animals needing veterinarians as it is these needy animals needing $$$ for veterinary care (and rational people caring for them). I'm personally very passionate about shelter medicine and such, and would LOVE to become a shelter vet... but finding a job and making a living off of that is going to be very tough with my debt load.

Spay/Neuter/Vaccinate programs are a quickly growing movement and lots of veterinarians are learning about them and becoming very interested and involved.

Just as quickly as they're growing as a "movement," they're becoming public enemy number 1 to veterinarians in the private sector. Something to think about.

As for all pre-vet students, look at the individual schools and see if they offer the things you want - alternatives to terminal surgeries, senior rotations at humane societies, shelter medicine programs... Or is it a mainly agricultural school?

Can you define what a "mainly agricultural school" is, and maybe give an example or two? I wasn't aware such places existed.

ooops... you got me.

Curses, foiled again!!!

lol no worries. being sooooo not a LA person, I actually had to really study all the appropriate age/sex terms like filly vs. colt vs. foal vs. gelding vs. stallion vs. mare, etc... for all the common domestic spp.

I didn't realize what a heifer was until vet school, 'cause wasn't "Heifer" in Rocko's Modern Life a boy???

lol, yeah. Performing an OVH :)confused:) on a cow sans sedation/pain meds would be hard core.

Apparently it (used to?) happens on feed lots because the spayed heifers grow faster due to lack of estrus cycles/not being distracted by estrus behavior.

That's what I was told, though not sure how prevalent it is anymore. It wasn't done by veterinarians, though.

Apparently it (used to?) happens on feed lots because the spayed heifers grow faster due to lack of estrus cycles/not being distracted by estrus behavior.

That's what I was told, though not sure how prevalent it is anymore. It wasn't done by veterinarians, though.

I have a total lack of knowledge about LA...so how would you do that??? I can't imagine how they would remove the ovaries and uterus without sedation of any sort. Please explain! :confused:

I have a total lack of knowledge about LA...so how would you do that??? I can't imagine how they would remove the ovaries and uterus without sedation of any sort. Please explain! :confused:

Its still really common over here in Australia, mainly on large stations where there is a muster once a year and the bulls are always run with the cows. This makes it easier to ensure that the cows you dont want to get pregnant (due to age or being poor stock etc) dont become pregnant.

So, there are two main methods:

Flank spey:
A local anaesthetic is administered to the flank, a ~5cm inscision is made, ovaries are cut out, stitched up.
A fast flank speyer can do this in 2-3min. They are placed in a squeeze crush with side access.

Willis Dropped ovary technique:
Insert one hand in the rectum to be able to palpate the cervix, uterus and ovaries. Insert your willis spey tool into the vagina. Poke through the vaginal wall and hook the ovary through the spey tool and inscise through the blood vessels supplying them. Drop the ovary back into the body cavity.
A fast willis speyer can do this in 2-3 min. It now has a lower mortality and complication rate to the flank spey method, and is more widely used.
http://www.farmerswarehouse.com.au/images/T/Spay Tool Willis.bmp
The spey tool.

I find this thread a bit strange... just in the last half a page or so, to me it kinda feels like people are saying the ethical vegan students care more about animal welfare than their meat eating counterparts. I don't think this is true. I mean, maybe I would feel differently about eating meat if meat in Australia was farmed the way it is in America... but its not... and out of all the "ethical vegetarians" I've met, I know more about, and CARE more about the welfare of animals then they do. I wouldn't be going to vet school if I didn't. The fact that I eat meat has nothing to do with how much I think about the pain a bull may be in when its castrated, or dehorned, or how I feel about mulesing. In fact, if anything it makes me more motivated to work with farmers to deliver them the best breakthroughs in animal welfare. Because when you increase animal welfare, you increase production.

If you disagree with eating animals, even if they are ethically produced and humanely slaughtered, thats more about animal rights, not animal welfare.