Venting about the dreaded Wait List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I am officially off everyone's waitlists because both programs got acceptances from other applicants. :(

Now it's time to decide on the psyd offer I'm holding (DEBT) or waiting a year.

Oh, and drink and cry in my beer.

Need a drinkin buddy? I'm still waiting, but getting less and less optimistic...

Members don't see this ad.

Also, am receiving scary emails from school B where I am holding an offer. Along the lines of... "Everyone else has accepted-- you are the last holdout." This type of statement wreaks havoc on my already dangling-by-a-thread sanity.

Oh my word, Lyn! The schools are absolutely not allowed to pressure you into making a decision too early!!! The APA rules are as follows:

"To protect a candidate against premature decisions, graduate schools currently have agreed to allow the applicant until April 15 for a final decision. This is in accordance with a resolution adopted by the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States in 1965 and further modified by the Council of Graduate Departments of Psychology (COGDOP) in 1981. The 1965 resolution of the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States was supported by 317 universities and colleges and by the directors of four granting agencies, both public and private...

In November 1988, the Board of Directors of COGDOP passed the following motion:

That the currently prevailing procedures dealing with the offering and acceptance of financial aid are intended to cover graduate admissions as well as offers of financial aid. To protect candidates against the need to make premature decisions, graduate programs should allow applicants until April 15 to make final decisions" (APA, http://www.apa.org/ed/accept.html).

In addition to this statement, the APA adds:

"...On occasion you may be pressured to accept an offer before April 15. In the event that you have accepted such an offer, you should be fully aware that you have the right to resign the original acceptance before April 15 to take an alternative offer" (http://www.apa.org/ed/accept.html).

Don't take any crap off them! Phhhhffff. They can't take your offer away from you, and you have every right to consider it fully. Sorry!

I should also add that I am [I believe] on three waiting lists at this point. I just found out today that I previously on a waitlist at a VERY BIG school that I had NEVER intended to hear from. I was not notified of my spot on the waitlist until after I was rejected. Albeit another failed attempt- I am thrilled to pieces that I was on the waitlist at this school!

I am holding onto to one offer that I am have more or less decided I will not attend.

I am so excited to hear about my waitlist at a school that I thought would never consider me! Retroactive waitlist bliss. Now it makes me want to contact all my other schools and say..."here's where I was waitlisted- what can you offer me now?" Ha. Take that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about the waitlists...If I knew ya in real life, I'd totally bring ya out for a beer :(

Need a drinkin buddy? I'm still waiting, but getting less and less optimistic...

Thanks, tkj and Lyn. Too bad there's no virtual bar where we can all toss back a few!

I am so excited to hear about my waitlist at a school that I thought would never consider me! Retroactive waitlist bliss. Now it makes me want to contact all my other schools and say..."here's where I was waitlisted- what can you offer me now?" Ha. Take that.

Duckygirl: this made me LOL. You are too funny!

Sorry, blindblonde. That sucks! Take some vitamin C and go take a nap. Maybe you can at least get rid of your cold. :oops:

Thanks. I am actually at my PC with some fabulous OJ, so I'm fighting it. I also went to the school nurse and found I have tonsilitis yet again, which I get every few months when I am stressed out. Not surprising, this is the second time I've had it this semester. ;)

But you are right, we should be hearing soon. The last few pieces should be falling into place soon, causing a domino effect to trickle down to us...or at least I hope so. I have often joked with my friends that I could hire the mafia to find that one person.... But I still hold that we are all stuck in this sucky process together, so you can't be mad at others who are in a difficult spot just like you.

It seems that I was the first on SDN to get a post-interview rejection, and I will probably be the one of the last to hear back one way or another. Go figure. :laugh:

Thanks for the congrats! I was especially anxious applying as I am a "non-traditional" student with a previous corporate career, although I have a bachelors and masters in psych.

To answer your questions, the schools where I removed myself from waitlist (all phd clinical) and turned down offers (1 phd clinical, 1 phd counseling) were all in NYC proper or NYC suburbs. (Not SUNY Albany, sorry...) I'm going to attend a PhD program in counseling psych in the city, my first choice, and am thrilled about it.

Good luck to everyone! Have faith and stay positive...as hard as it is to do so.

I am currently wait-listed at University of Cincinnati, Kent State University, and the University of Toledo. None of the schools have given me any indication as to where I am on their lists', so I decided to email each one earlier today to *hopefully* find out an update.

I did get accepted into one program (M.A. in general Psych at NYU) but turned it down because I just don't have the money.

One question for everyone. What are you going to do if (I know we should all be thinking positively) you don't get in anywhere? My only hope at the moment is getting into one of my wait-listed schools, but I want to re-apply sometime in the next few years but I would need to strengthen my CV. Would relevant job experience or a master's degree look better on future applications? I should interject that I scored well on my GRE's, but my overall GPA was awful (2.83), but previous two year GPA was great (3.8). My letters of recommendation are superb (my assumption) as I worked with two of them on research projects, and I believe that I had a very good personal statement. I have been given an offer by a friend who runs the admissions of a small, liberal school to go to their M.S. Counseling program which grants you licensure as a LPC, but would Psy.D programs look upon that as being a beneficial degree?

I know I got a little off-track, but any feedback would be appreciated! I will now be monitoring the sdn hourly but since I gave up smoking a year ago, I think I'll hold off from starting back up again!

I am currently wait-listed at University of Cincinnati, Kent State University, and the University of Toledo. None of the schools have given me any indication as to where I am on their lists', so I decided to email each one earlier today to *hopefully* find out an update.

Just curious who your POIs are at UC and Kent? Feel free to PM me if you want.

I have been given an offer by a friend who runs the admissions of a small, liberal school to go to their M.S. Counseling program which grants you licensure as a LPC, but would Psy.D programs look upon that as being a beneficial degree?

I know I got a little off-track, but any feedback would be appreciated! I will now be monitoring the sdn hourly but since I gave up smoking a year ago, I think I'll hold off from starting back up again!

I would look at their training model, and see how well it matches up with that of a clinical doctoral program on your list. If it matches up pretty well, I think it could be a benefit. If there is a good amount of variance in the types of classes, models for treatment, etc....then maybe you should look elsewhere. The reason I bring this up is that you'll have to start from scratch in any doc. program, so you want to do something that will enhance your attractiveness to school and/or enhance your training. Even though you are looking at PsyDs, I'd still look seriously at research type positions and/or degrees. It is very important to understand research and be able to work with it.

-t

I just wanted to add my 2 cents re: the comment that when you start a doctoral program you start from scratch.

Many of the PhD Counseling Psychology programs provide somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 year's worth of credit for classes taken as part of a masters program. I hope to apply about 30-40 of my 60 credits ffom my masters programs. Obviously it's dependent on indvidual circumstances, but keep that in mind since you said you are considering masters in counseling psych. Counseling Psychology programs differ in this way from clinical psychology programs, since many more incoming students have masters (EdM or MS) in counseling psychology already.

At programs where I've interviewed, the time to graduation is 4-5 years with a masters, 5-6 without. I have three friends finishing the PhD program in4 years because they had their masters coming in.

Another day has come and gone with no news in the mail or inbox! I think my mom is going to develop a complex over this! I think most of what we talk about these days is praying all day long for good news when I walk out the door, and what kind of mail came at the end of the day. This is sprinkled with occasional talks about moving out, whether or not I'll be going on any summer vacation, and what I'll do if it doesn't work out. I'd rather discuss putting down a deposit to hold my spot...or how many things I want to do before school starts. You know?

No news here either.... :(

Seriously, how much longer can this last?

Anyone for making April 15th a national holiday?

Members don't see this ad :)
No news here either.... :(

Seriously, how much longer can this last?

Anyone for making April 15th a national holiday?

Well, it is already tax day. Whee!!

And no news here either. At least I am so bogged down with work that I can sort of distract myself...yeah right.... :cool:

University of Cincinnati and the University of Toledo got back to me this morning and informed me that I was no longer a potential candidate.

Still waitlisted at Kent State though!

I know someone who turned down Kent State recently so there is still hope for you waitlisters!

I myself am still sitting in waitlist purgatory. I can identify with everyone out there who wakes up every morning thinking "is today the day I hear something?".

My plan B is to find a clinically oriented job because I have been an RA for almost 4 years. Still not sure if I'll re-apply.

This is the fun part of the game where I update to say that I have nothing to say :) A while ago (around mid-March) I decided that every time I went a week without hearing, I would get myself a present as a consolation prize to make myself feel better (and give me something to look forward to besides hearing from my schools). I think I may have to upgrade it to every evening.

This is the fun part of the game where I update to say that I have nothing to say :) A while ago (around mid-March) I decided that every time I went a week without hearing, I would get myself a present as a consolation prize to make myself feel better (and give me something to look forward to besides hearing from my schools). I think I may have to upgrade it to every evening.

What a great idea!!

I just got into my top choice off the waitlist!! Yippee!

Yay! Congrats Lyn!! I'm glad the horrid wait paid off for you. :D

...now to see if the rest of us have a similar fate.....

Congratulations!!!
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Was it worth the wait;)?

Lyn, that is SO AWESOME! Getting a spot off the waitlist can be exciting enough! It's great you go in to your top choice! Were you so excited? Did you run outside and scream? That's rad...good for you! And good luck!:D

Congrats!!! So where will you be going in the fall?

Yay! Congrats Lyn!! I'm glad the horrid wait paid off for you. :D

...now to see if the rest of us have a similar fate.....

Yes, the wait was terrible! I hope you hear good news soon too!!!

Congratulations!!!
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Was it worth the wait;)?

Well, I would have been happy with a shorter wait! I guess the department was frustrated with how long it was taking too, so they got special permission from the Graduate School to make an additional offer... just for me. :) That sure makes a girl feel special, but I have to wonder why they didn't just do that 3 weeks ago!

Congratulations, Lyn!!

There is hope! Also, thanks for starting this thread... ;)

No prob. I needed something to do with all my nervous energy, and I'm glad it's been helpful for everyone else to vent here too!

Lyn, that is SO AWESOME! Getting a spot off the waitlist can be exciting enough! It's great you go in to your top choice! Were you so excited? Did you run outside and scream? That's rad...good for you! And good luck!:D

Yes, I ran out of my room and screamed. Then I was crying (sobbing really) for about 15 minutes. My roommates got a really good pic of me with tears and mascara smeared all down my face and smiling while giving the thumbs up to show that they were happy tears!

omg congrats Lyn! That's freaking fantastic...now you're one of those feel-good stories!!!!

It feels so nice to finally be done waiting. And I feel really good that I was able to let go of my other offer, because I know there was someone anxiously waiting for it. I hope they are as happy as I was to get in off the waitlist!

Congrats!!! So where will you be going in the fall?

Thank you all SO much for the sympathy during the wait and the congrats now that it's finally over. I'm still sending out good thoughts for all of you!!!!

I have a friend who's a clinical psych student there! I hope you love it :)

University of Cincinnati and the University of Toledo got back to me this morning and informed me that I was no longer a potential candidate.

Still waitlisted at Kent State though!

Sorry waytogreen! :( I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you at Kent! :luck:

Has anyone heard anything from DePaul, post-waitlist... if so PM me please.

I was waitlisted, but haven't heard anything else since...would love to know if others have too...

I was also waitlisted at DePaul post interview and have heard nothing. Were you for the child or community track?

Just informed that I was not offered a spot at Kent State :-(

Pretty bummed out as I have now been officially rejected at all my schools. Guess I'll wait until the first week of may and check out what, if any, masters programs still have slots to fill from the APA website.

Pretty bummed out as I have now been officially rejected at all my schools. Guess I'll wait until the first week of may and check out what, if any, masters programs still have slots to fill from the APA website.

So sorry to hear! What a bummer! I was really pulling for you! It's really tough...but you can't take it too personally, admissions is partially just luck. I have a friend in med school who is on a student admissions committee- she said their decisions are largely arbitrary, but they have to cut people to narrow down. I am probably facing a third round of reapplication this fall, and it is at least a feat for me, to have been placed on several waiting lists until the end of the selections process- so your hard work wasn't entirely fruitless. You've obviously been doing something right!

I am so sorry that you didn't get in :(. We really need to find that virtual bar so we can all go drown our sorrows...

Best of luck with whatever you choose for yourself and the coming year. I am sure that you will land on your feet! With the disgusting stats that Psychology has for acceptance, it is rare to even get on the waitlists! I know that doesn't make you feel any better right now, but it does mean that you have what it takes. I think Duckygirl is right that after you get past the first cut, the decisions are completely arbitrary!

We really need to find that virtual bar so we can all go drown our sorrows...

Definitely. With another week gone and only one "real" week before the deadline (I know people get in after the 15th...but generally speaking), the bar would be useful. It would be nice to have our own virtual Bourbon street. :cool:

Thanks for the support Ducky and Wanabe, I'm still optimistic and I know I'll eventually get in somewhere, sometime! The one good thing out of all this is that I've decided that I don't want to do a Clinical PhD program. While I love to do research, I ultimately want to practice, not teach. That being said, in the future it will be between Clinical PsyD and Counseling PhD programs.

Thanks for the support Ducky and Wanabe, I'm still optimistic and I know I'll eventually get in somewhere, sometime! The one good thing out of all this is that I've decided that I don't want to do a Clinical PhD program. While I love to do research, I ultimately want to practice, not teach. That being said, in the future it will be between Clinical PsyD and Counseling PhD programs.

For sure! Maybe the only good thing about this process is that you learn a lot about yourself and the field. I had a somewhat skeptical attitude about PsyD programs, but after researching them and interviewing at them, I have learned that there are good ones and bad ones just like PhD programs. I have also learned that I will be able to reach my goals from many different directions.

At least we can say that we understand ourselves and the process better! :rolleyes:

I hope today brings everyone still waiting good news

I hope everyone gets good news too. I officially turned down my first school today. I had to force my hand down on the send email button. I just can't help but think it could be a bad decision. I always try to over analyze everything. So now it is down to an official offer and a waitlist. I just went and visited my waitlist school and the other offer and loved both of them. However my waitlist is a more recognized program and is in a city I have always wanted to live in, while my standing offer is in a college town, exactly like the one I spent my last 4 years in. I guess I just want a change. Either way I guess I would be happy, I just want all the info on the table. Also have some people not heard back from schools at all? Oh well good luck everyone!

Hello all! I've applied to 3 schools total (One Ph.D. and two Psy. D. programs).

I've been told I will know about acceptance to my top choice school this week. I was a tad discouraged since my other top choice sent me a letter of non-interest a few weeks ago. I've still got my hopes up even though this can be such a disgruntling and grueling process. At least I can say I've done it, lived through it, and survived! :laugh:

I interviewed at one of my top programs and heard nothing from them for nearly 2 months, though I knew my POI had made offers, so I figured that either a. I was out of the running or b. the school wasn't terribly concerned about keeping us informed. Either way, not good, so I crossed the program off my list and moved on. When they eventually contacted me last week to make an offer, they seemed genuinely annoyed that I had already accepted another program, and that I hadn't followed up with them after the interview to check on my status.

My understanding was that the school is supposed to contact you if you're on the waitlist, and not the other way around. Is my understanding correct? Here's the official policy from the Council of University DIrectors Clinical Psychology Guidelines:

"The Director of Clinical Training or the designated person in charge of graduate admissions should make every effort to inform students on the alternate list of their status as soon as possible."http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/flags/nebraska/nebraskaflag.shtml

All three schools I was waitlisted at failed to contact me, I had to call/email them. They essentially told me that if I hadn't been sent a letter of rejection yet (early-mid March) that I was on the waitlist, and that the only information I would receive from them would be either a rejection letter or an offer.

Well guys...I think this is close to my last post for the season. After learning a few weeks ago that I had been on the waiting list of several of my top choice schools that I had never expected to be considered by...And getting REALLY excited that something might happen for me...

I've been rejected by all of my waitlist schools. The one school I thought was going to make me an offer off of the waitlist ultimately rejected me because my POI is going on sabbatical next fall (she was not when I applied, and the school said they would circulate applications for her to other faculty members of the clinical program). I got a weird rejection letter that was mostly about "supervision" issues, and not about me as an applicant.

I will not be accepting the offer I was made by a PsyD program, and I will not accept an offer from the one last PhD program that is still considering me- their program was not right for me in the slightest.

Unless a miracle occurs in the next week, I will be applying to schools again this fall. SDN's been fun. I wish the best of luck to all the people still waiting to hear from their schools. I know some of you will get offers at the last minute, and it will be fabulous!

Well guys...I think this is close to my last post for the season. After learning a few weeks ago that I had been on the waiting list of several of my top choice schools that I had never expected to be considered by...And getting REALLY excited that something might happen for me...

I've been rejected by all of my waitlist schools. The one school I thought was going to make me an offer off of the waitlist ultimately rejected me because my POI is going on sabbatical next fall (she was not when I applied, and the school said they would circulate applications for her to other faculty members of the clinical program). I got a weird rejection letter that was mostly about "supervision" issues, and not about me as an applicant.

I will not be accepting the offer I was made by a PsyD program, and I will not accept an offer from the one last PhD program that is still considering me- their program was not right for me in the slightest.

Unless a miracle occurs in the next week, I will be applying to schools again this fall. SDN's been fun. I wish the best of luck to all the people still waiting to hear from their schools. I know some of you will get offers at the last minute, and it will be fabulous!

I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

I will likely be re-applying too, so we can go through this crap together again. lol

SDN's been fun. I wish the best of luck to all the people still waiting to hear from their schools. I know some of you will get offers at the last minute, and it will be fabulous!
Feel free to stick around. The application process isn't that far away, and you'll find out there is a good amount going on here exclusive of interviewing/enrolling.

-t

Sorry to hear that ducky. :(

I'm still holding out over here. I e-mailed my schools again to see if anything has changed...so we'll see what that turns up. At least this evil process will be over with--one way or another--son enough.

Ducky, you'll come back stronger than ever next time...Good luck! I'm all about free will and believing everything happens for a reason. ;)