verbal 13-15 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccCrazie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, stupid question here but it's to settle a debate with a friend.

Let's say someone gets a
verbal: 13-15
bio: 11
phys: 12

Did they get a 36 or a 38?

Members don't see this ad.

Score would be "36-38" IMO.

really, it's irrelevant, so why don't you both just compromise and call it a 37 ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just one of those grand mysteries of life.

Having that verbal score myself, I just like to think of it as flexible. On any of three days, I can honestly say that I have a different score. It makes me feel free - not tied down, you know?

:D

Man, have I been shortchanging myself the whole time? I went with the low score ...

Oh, wait, it doesn't matter ... I got in ...

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
Man, have I been shortchanging myself the whole time? I went with the low score ...

Oh, wait, it doesn't matter ... I got in ...

Ha!!! :laugh:

It depends on who's asking. I'll say 33 if the person asking has that competitive aura about him/her (and lights my competitive spark), but I'm generally modest and tell people 31.

By the way, on the Columbia application they say that if your verbal score is 13-15, put 15 in the box.

i guess there's not much of a consensus. I only ask because I have a friend who has been bragging for the past year that he beat me on the mcats, and I just found out yesterday that he was counting his 13-15 as a 15, and I was counting mine as a 13. If we count our verbals the same way, I actually beat him. Usually I don't really care about my score or anything, and I know it's not important now that I got in, but it's just so sweet to throw this back in his face after I've been taking crap from him for the last year.

Originally posted by ccCrazie
he was counting his 13-15 as a 15, and I was counting mine as a 13. If we count our verbals the same way, I actually beat him.

well if you *both* got the 13-15 then it doesn't matter how you count it as you beat him either way as a 36-38 is beat by a 37-39 regardless...?? I don't see the problem.

You should just beat your friend up.

tbw, the problem was that we didn't say ranges. he just added a 15 into his and i just added a 13 into mine. that's a 2 point difference and he thought he beat me by one. He's a bit of an arrogant prick and I wouldn't mind beating him up. He's more of an acquaintance than a friend as you can probably tell.

doctor octopus, that was really funny. nice one.

A 13 was really the same as 13-15? I always assumed my 13 was "just" a 13 since they didn't list 13-15 on my report either.

Well, not that it matters anymore anyway. :laugh:

Originally posted by ironey
It's just one of those grand mysteries of life.

Having that verbal score myself, I just like to think of it as flexible. On any of three days, I can honestly say that I have a different score. It makes me feel free - not tied down, you know?

:D

...a profound fear of commitment.