Verbal/ExamKrackers!! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mish550

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I know there have been other threads abou this....but what exactly is the examkrackre strategy? I found some that sort of explain, but none that explain it enuogh for someone to actually apply it!

I really appreciate your help!
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what the exact "strategy" is, but for me, it helped to make charts for the verbal section. They included type of pasage, time it took for me to complete it, and percentage correct. That way at the MCAT I knew which ones to do first to get the best overall percentage. And that worked really well for me.

Thanks for your help! Is there anyone else who does KNOW the examkracker strategy? Someone said somethign about answering all of the questions without ever reading the passage? How is this possible? How can anyone answer the questions without looking at the passage?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm currently taking the course. I guess I could say a bit about the "strategy". It does not involve not reading the passage. It's very simple and straightforward. You need to have confidence, i.e. sit up straight, no slouching or relaxing while reading passages like alot of ppl do, you want to be alert while reading. Read every passage and go in order, Do not try to skim the pasages and see which ones are "easy", how do you know if it is easy? The passage might be hard, but you know what, it is prolly hard for everyone else, the questions could be really simple. After the 5th pasage, you should 40 min left (bring a timer and cut the wire to the speaker). read for the main idea. Take sometime (20-30 sec) to put together a main idea, almost ALL the mcat questions are modeled after the main idea. And a VERY important part of the strategy is to take a 5sec break before each pasage including the first. It is impossible for your mind to cocnentrate for the full 85 min, take a break at planned intervals or else your brain will decide for you. Learn to concentrate on the passage at hand. Learn to completely forget the previous passage. Learn to move on when you cant figure out the question..

Alot of verbal is a mind game. If you are not finishing, then you are taking too much time going back to the passage. The pasage only gives like half of the info you need, the questions stems and answer choices give a lot of info.

You may ask, does it work? I think so. I started with a dcent verbal score and now I am getting very few wrong. I'm actually hoping for a 13-15.

Hope this helps. Also, go to he website and look at the discussions on verbal.

Practice, practice, practice!

The most important aspect of their tips is to read for the main idea and tone. That is basically what EVERY test prep source will tell you. The idea is to read as if you are reading a story - you get the gist and you get sort of the "feel" for it. What you DON'T do is try to remember every little detail in the passage and feel like you need to have understood every little point. I regularly finish the passage knowing nothing but a general idea and feel to the passage, and I found that I still do well.

mish550,
i took the exam this past august. i took a different commercial study course and was having a lot of difficulty with timing (no fault of the course though). accuracy was great for the passages i finished, but i usually ran out of time with 2 or 3 passages to go. in all the practice exams i did, i only finished all the passages one time. on test day, i finished 8 of nine passages and guessed bbbbbbb for the last passage. this was my second best performance ever. i wound up with an 11 on the verbal section. i was thrilled as i knew that the first 85 minutes of the test day was going to make or break me.
so how did i do it? yeah, i read for tone and jist just as all the courses will tell you to do. one of the best things i did was to get examcrackers verbal book. i read the first couple of chapters a few days before the exam. there i found the following advice:
1- forget searching for the easy passages so you can do them first, as you have to finish them all to do well, or close to them all. (it's just a waste of time)
2- THE SINGLE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE FOR ME was, learn to let go and move on. don't waste time on a question you can't figure out. try to eliminate 2 choices and pick one. the MCAT is just one big trap for pre-meds. we are not comfortable guessing, it's not in our nature. for years we've worked to earn the high GPAs that will open the door to med school. so when it comes to tests, we want to be right. how else will we get the A ? time is critical!!!! is it better to have 95 % accuracy with 7 passages completed, or to give up a little accuracy and complete more? i know it is difficult, but narrow it to 2, pick 1, and move on, the clock is ticking. i'm not saying to do it on every question, just those that are giving you real problems, there are easier questions you can answer waiting for you. this is a good philosophy for all the test sections, you'll be amazed at how many guesses turn out to be the right answer. (examcrackers explain this point)

on test day i had a game plan. try to incorprate all the techniques that i had learned, but above all, keep moving, don't fall into a time trap and run out of time. it worked.

i also filled in all my answers for each section after the five minute warning was given. do not try this unless you have practiced it on many practice tests under timed conditions. one little frameshift mutation could be lethal. i did it because timing across the board was a real problem for me. in addition, some of the testing centers have small writing surfaces that force you to move your test booklet to get to your answer sheet. i put my money on Taylor's time and motion studies. you must stop reading and answering questions right at the five minute warning and start bubbling though.

just remember your plan, stay focused, don't let your nerves defeat you, and keep moving. everybody else is scared shi_less also. stay confident and keep swinging away.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Is there anyone in Cincnnati that I can buy this book from? I'm running short on time and want to get a strategy down soon!

thanks...

i'm pretty sure i ordered it from amazon.com. check their website and have them ship it next day, or the fastest delivery they have.

if amazon doesn't have it, just call examkrackers directly and they can express it to you.

you should be able find it at barnes and noble. I bought mine there last week.

Could someone please explain to me the strategy of gaining a lot out of the question stems and the answer choices?

thanks!