Verbal Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On many questions in Verbal, I can narrow down my choices to 2. From there on, I usually infer incorrectly and get the answer wrong. On an average, I atleast get 2 answers wrong per passage. Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips on how to pick between 2 closely related answer choices?

Members don't see this ad.

Luke white made a post on inference type questions that helped me out tremedously. I cut and pasted the post into the Verbal thread in the MCAT Study forum. Check the last 2 pages.

stoleyerscrubz said:
Luke white made a post on inference type questions that helped me out tremedously. I cut and pasted the post into the Verbal thread in the MCAT Study forum. Check the last 2 pages.

Last 2 pages of what exactly? Do u think u can send me the link? B/c i really do have that problem of cutting my ans. choices to 2 and not able to pick the right one out of the two. I need serious help w/ dat.

I definitely have the same problem and a lot of others have the same complaint- there're often two answers that seem extremely similar, and its usually a nitpicky detail you may not have caught in the passage that determines it. One thing I've started using is asking myself- are either of these two stretching something the author said a little too far, b/c that sometimes happens. They both sound feasible but one might be slightly extreme. Also, make sure the answer comes from the same paragraph as the stuff the question is asking about (unless of course its a general question about the whole piece). Its the fact that there are usually 2 answers so close that makes the MCAT so hard- we'd all be doing really well if every question had a clear cut answer and none to complicate matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah you are absolutely right abt that! will try detecting any slight extremity in the 2 answers. Thanx =)

topdogg82 said:
I definitely have the same problem and a lot of others have the same complaint- there're often two answers that seem extremely similar, and its usually a nitpicky detail you may not have caught in the passage that determines it. One thing I've started using is asking myself- are either of these two stretching something the author said a little too far, b/c that sometimes happens. They both sound feasible but one might be slightly extreme. Also, make sure the answer comes from the same paragraph as the stuff the question is asking about (unless of course its a general question about the whole piece). Its the fact that there are usually 2 answers so close that makes the MCAT so hard- we'd all be doing really well if every question had a clear cut answer and none to complicate matters.

Thanx. Will try your method.